power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 PM
beardshadow
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering leak

Ok, question:
I got a leak out of the top of my steering gear box. Don't know if its the outer seal or internal. So I'm wondering, is it worth rebuilding or should I just pop a new gear box in?
Opinions?

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 PM
dakonthemountain
Elder User

If you have the same power steering (Ford, not Bendix) that I have in my 77 you need to check a couple things before going to all the trouble of replacing the box. Replacing the box is a PITA; Especially getting the pitman arm off!

First, did you tighten the lines where they screw into the box? The vibrations of your engine can loosen them up. Secondly, there are "O" rings inside where the lines screw in the top of the box. They may be cracked, broken, twisted, etc. If your lines are tight then the "O" rings may be the problem.

If it's the shaft below the rag joint you are referring to, there is no internal seal and you will have to either rebuild the box or replace it like I just recently had to do. I'd HIGHLY recommend "Redhead" in Washington. They are not cheap, but in the rebuild they put a bearing and seal on the sector shaft to prevent leaks in the future. The OEM boxes were not manufactured with this seal and are prone to leaking with no fix to stop it.

Good luck!
Dak

Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 PM
beardshadow
New User
Oh sweet. Thanks dak, I will check those lines..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
when i took my truck to my buddys shop to use his lift i was just gonna replace the steering box...............6 hours later i had replaced the steering box, preshure and return lines, rag joint, and removed the drivers side exhaust manifold to drill and tap some broken bolts thats the PO had left for me to find. i only did the manifold becouse it was soooo easy once the steering box was out i could reach everything through the fender well

Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 PM
weez440
Senior User
i just rebuilt my steering box this last weekend. total time from start to finish, i cleaned it up and also prepped and painted it up took me about 2 1/2 hours. i hit everything with penetrating lube for a couple days. then i took mine off from the tie rod end. i just tapped the side of it after i took the bolt out while prying on it and it popped off. i marked the shaft, pitman, and gearbox with a dremel so i got it back together the same way. then i took the top off and flipped it upside down and loosened the nut for the pitman arm and hit the nut with a hammer a couple times and the pitman popped right off cause i essentially drove the shaft out. the rest is pretty easy. it works great now with no leaks but my leak was at the bottom of the box. beings yours is at the top of the box you might be able to take the two bolts out on the top and take that off and replace the o-ring. sorry for the blabbing but i hope i helped.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
The only pia is getting all the ball bearings back in.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 AM
dakonthemountain
Elder User

Originally Posted by weez440
i just rebuilt my steering box this last weekend. total time from start to finish, i cleaned it up and also prepped and painted it up took me about 2 1/2 hours. i hit everything with penetrating lube for a couple days. then i took mine off from the tie rod end. i just tapped the side of it after i took the bolt out while prying on it and it popped off. i marked the shaft, pitman, and gearbox with a dremel so i got it back together the same way. then i took the top off and flipped it upside down and loosened the nut for the pitman arm and hit the nut with a hammer a couple times and the pitman popped right off cause i essentially drove the shaft out. the rest is pretty easy. it works great now with no leaks but my leak was at the bottom of the box. beings yours is at the top of the box you might be able to take the two bolts out on the top and take that off and replace the o-ring. sorry for the blabbing but i hope i helped.
You're good! It took me a little longer because I broke 2 pitman arm pullers and finally bought a heavy duty one. I should have sprayed PB blaster or something on it in advance like you did!
Dak