6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Finally ordered a Spartan, but denied!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 AM
smartken22
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally ordered a Spartan, but denied!

Well, I broke down and sold my complete Banks setup so that I could invest in the Spartan setup with the DPF delete. I ordered the whole package through Performance Truck Products on Thursday. I received the Cat/DPF delete pipes yesterday afternoon but no Spartan yet. When I got up this morning, I had an E-mail from the company stating that they cannot ship the Spartan to me due to living in California. I went to Spartans website and it says in BOLD letters, not for sale to those in California. When I did all my research, it was not this way. Any loop holes, or do I need to go to a different tuner that supports the delete? I have friends here in town that have the Spartan as well, so I know there has to be a way. I am pretty bummed right now, because I have been saving for this system for some time and I do not really want to settle for some canned tunes. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smartken22
Well, I broke down and sold my complete Banks setup so that I could invest in the Spartan setup with the DPF delete. I ordered the whole package through Performance Truck Products on Thursday. I received the Cat/DPF delete pipes yesterday afternoon but no Spartan yet. When I got up this morning, I had an E-mail from the company stating that they cannot ship the Spartan to me due to living in California. I went to Spartans website and it says in BOLD letters, not for sale to those in California. When I did all my research, it was not this way. Any loop holes, or do I need to go to a different tuner that supports the delete? I have friends here in town that have the Spartan as well, so I know there has to be a way. I am pretty bummed right now, because I have been saving for this system for some time and I do not really want to settle for some canned tunes. Thanks in advance.

Ken
wonder if this is a new law that took effect sept 1..

Sam

Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM
smartken22
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
wonder if this is a new law that took effect sept 1..

Sam
That sucks if so. If I would have known that I would have just kept the Banks setup. I was really happy with it and the power it made. The only down to that system was that there is no DPF delete option. I am still trying to work loop holes, but so far, no luck. I will try to call Spartan today.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,497 Likes on 1,067 Posts
What about contacting a vendor out of state for the purchase and then they can just ship to you.

May not be factory direct but would accomplish the same thing...unless they can't as well?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
smartken22
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
What about contacting a vendor out of state for the purchase and then they can just ship to you.

May not be factory direct but would accomplish the same thing...unless they can't as well?
The vendor I went through was based out of Texas, but I think that all of the Spartan products are forwarded and sent directly from them.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,497 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Road trip...how close are you to AZ or NV? Or a relative to ship it too.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:05 AM
smartken22
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix
Road trip...how close are you to AZ or NV? Or a relative to ship it too.
Pretty close...you were reading my mind! I am gonna talk to Spartan today and go that route if they do not work with me.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smartken22
Pretty close...you were reading my mind! I am gonna talk to Spartan today and go that route if they do not work with me.

ask if they would relicense a used spartan.. but I think because of your CA address it would be no..

Sam

Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
What new law is that starting on Sept 1? Who was it, CTS or Edge just recently backed out of selling deletes also. I'm wondering if the Feds/CA is cracking down on them

[post-edit] what's wrong will running a Spartan with a 'DPF-on' tune? Or I assume that's a no-no if there are no EO numbers?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
kinda surprised Mr. Spartan himself hasn't chimed in.......

Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 685 Likes on 446 Posts
What's your plan for the CA annual vehicle inspection?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 AM
TIRE FRYER
Senior User
I was denied recently as well. Gonna have my uncle in AZ order it for me.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
What's your plan for the CA annual vehicle inspection?
Revert to stock, remove tunes and re-add DPF/CAT, then go for inspection/smog test and revert back when done. Similarly to taking it into the dealer for warranty work.

Also, its biannual, every two years like gas vehicles. I know some states are annual though, every year. At least we got that going for us.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
smartken22
Freshman User
Originally Posted by smotrs
Revert to stock, remove tunes and re-add DPF/CAT, then go for inspection/smog test and revert back when done. Similarly to taking it into the dealer for warranty work.

Also, its biannual, every two years like gas vehicles. I know some states are annual though, every year. At least we got that going for us.
Ditto...that was my plan. I have not had to have my truck in yet for smog. I just renewed my tags this month and it was not required yet. Shes an 08 so I am not sure when it will be required.

Talked to Spartan yesterday and they do not have the info for my order. Since it was ordered through a vendor, they send the order to Spartan and fulfill from there so its hard to track. They said that so far they have not denied any orders from California. They processed two on Monday which one could be mine. They did say that I would have to fill out a waiver stating that I am using for "off-road" purposes only. I have to say, their customer service was awesome and the rep was very helpful. They told me to ride out the week to see if it shows up. We will see...will keep you all posted.

Ken

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
kmtc4
New User
I am a service manager here in Ca. I can tell you that CARB has cracked the whip. They are handing out fines like its nobody's business for removing a CA required emissions component. The fines are stiff, and they are penalizing anyone who sells them as well. Your truck will not pass an inspection in the state of CA without the DPF. Sept. 1st, 2011 was the first wave. Jan. 1st 2012 will be the next one. The state is broke and this is a great revenue generator for the state.

Quick Reply: Finally ordered a Spartan, but denied!