Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tandom towing TX, OK, MO

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had some issues tandem towing a boat behind our 5th wheel this summer. Truck had the power and did well with the pull but evertime I went over 55 mph the darm boat would start to sway back and forth. I could feel & see the "tail wagging the dog" syndrom. Part of my problem was the hitch ball was hanging low causing the the boat trailer nose down a bit thus leading to the sway. So after reaching the campground we flipped the Class 3 hitch so the ball on the back of the 5th wheel would sit higher. Helped a bit but on the way home the 20-25 mph winds didn't help at all. Secondly, on some older roads or roads that need repair the crowns or grooves in the lanes can cause the second trailer to also sway a bit - so basically watch your mirrors and drive closer to the yellow line than normal. A swaybar setup would be something to look into like mentioned above.

Be carefull and test driver your setup before traveling that far with tandems. I have never towed tandem with a bumper hitch camper/trailer. Not sure if that is legal or not -Always was told it was a bad idea or an accident waiting to happen.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:05 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
I had some issues tandem towing a boat behind our 5th wheel this summer. Truck had the power and did well with the pull but evertime I went over 55 mph the darm boat would start to sway back and forth. I could feel & see the "tail wagging the dog" syndrom. Part of my problem was the hitch ball was hanging low causing the the boat trailer nose down a bit thus leading to the sway. So after reaching the campground we flipped the Class 3 hitch so the ball on the back of the 5th wheel would sit higher. Helped a bit but on the way home the 20-25 mph winds didn't help at all. Secondly, on some older roads or roads that need repair the crowns or grooves in the lanes can cause the second trailer to also sway a bit - so basically watch your mirrors and drive closer to the yellow line than normal. A swaybar setup would be something to look into like mentioned above.

Be carefull and test driver your setup before traveling that far with tandems. I have never towed tandem with a bumper hitch camper/trailer. Not sure if that is legal or not -Always was told it was a bad idea or an accident waiting to happen.

Good advice! Didn't think of the hitch being lower causing a sway problem. I got an I beam and male/female reciever that I need to find someone that can weld better than me. We have a 24 foot 5th wheel so we should be good not tandem towing with a travel trailer.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Sounds good....

If she starts to sway on ya - try flippin the ball mount upside down so the hitch ball sits higher. Best of luck to you on the move and the travel up there.....