1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lots of tranny and turbo codes...is it time to let truck go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 AM
3dazed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of tranny and turbo codes...is it time to let truck go?

HELP...new here but was sent over for advice! I have a 1999 F250 7.3L that I adore. Hauls like a dream and has been a really, really good truck. Currently has 145K mi on it. On my last haul speed sensor went out so speedometer went dead and ABS and overdrive lights both came on. Truck kept running great so made it home. Had mechanic friend replace sensor and it fixed all apparent problems BUT came over with the grim news that he'd pulled a bunch of turbo and tranny codes off of the truck. His feeling was that it might be time to let our truck go so we didn't get stuck somewhere hauling or find ourselves with some hellish repair costs. I've heard that the 7.3 is the truck to have and am reluctant to go away from it. Can a bunch of error codes show up and mean nothing?...or is my truck just trying to warn me that there are two major systems coming up for repair soon. Help...do I say goodbye now and if so is the new 6.7L my best option...not hearing the best things about the 6.4 and def not the 6.0? Seriously have loved my ford so now what!!! Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:10 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
Well first off what were the codes? Was the check engine light on?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel forum.

Welcome to FTE!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 AM
3dazed
New User
Dang...I don't know what the codes were but I can ask. No check engine light. ASB and overdrive light went off once sensor was fixed.
Thanks...will get code info!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alot of those codes might have been tied to the VSS, if they were cleared we would just be curious what the current codes were. Is everything running fine?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Rose Clifford
Posting Guru
Never surrender! This is America, not France. Find out what those codes are and make them go away. Your truck is just barely broken in, you'll make some buyer very happy if you sell your truck with a couple minor codes.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 AM
sandlapper
Junior User
I would never let it go. I have 360,000 miles on mine and one tranny. I rebuilt it 200,000 miles ago but put a real one back in. Mine gave up the farm at 150,000 miles. I do a lot of heavy hauling. Rebuild it or get a BTS and don't look back. The new ones will leave quicker than that 7.3. I have a buddy that has 475,000 on his. Replacing is cheaper than buying a new one!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

DO NOT dump that truck because of some soft codes that arent even tripping the SES light. Most likely they are just carried over from the sensor you already replaced. If you can get the codes we can be more sure, but if the truck is running fine then there is no need to get all worked up. You said this mechanic was a friend of yours, does he also work for a dealership? No offense, but it wouldn't be the first time a dealership tried to dupe someone out of a perfectly good 7.3 just because they didn't do their homework and find out that whatever was wrong was very simple to fix. If you want a new truck than you can use this as your excuse, but it sounds to me like you love your truck. Hang around here and we will get you squared away.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rose Clifford
Never surrender! This is America, not France.
For Sale: 50,000 French carbines...never fired, only dropped once .

Clear the codes and drive for a while...then pull codes again.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 3dazed
Had mechanic friend replace sensor and it fixed all apparent problems BUT came over with the grim news that he'd pulled a bunch of turbo and tranny codes off of the truck.
Anyone can read codes, not everyone can interpret them.

If your truck is running fine, most likely those codes mean precisely jack squat.

Turbo codes actually have nothing to do with the turbo 99.9% of the time. Transmission codes can easily pop up with a failed VSS sensor, like what you had.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
For some reason, i find myself asking...Did your mechanic friend offer you $$$, for your truck?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 290 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Clear the codes and drive for a while...then pull codes again.
Best advice ^

Clear the codes and drive the truck.

The trans codes are more than likely related to the VSS going out. The turbo codes are more than likely overboost codes from the truck trying to keep up with the demand.

So once more, clear the codes, drive the truck, report back....

Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 AM
3dazed
New User
Wow...thank you all for helping me spit coffee all over my keyboard this AM...I had no idea this group was so funny...totally awesome!

So...Love my truck and don't really want to blow $50K to replace it with something inferior, lol. Have major fears of being stranded with horses and kids on board in the middle of nowhere but what I'm getting is that the newer trucks might leave me out there sooner, hahaha!

Here's the thing...mechanic friend works for Honda, does trucks but not all the time. That is actually one of the main reasons that I want to do more homework is exactly what you guys are saying....that maybe the codes aren't actually a death rattle. But, if they are, I'm being told a new (rebuilt) tranny and new (rebuilt) turbo are going to run about $7-8K and that isn't small potatoes either. LMAO...and no...he didn't offer to buy said truck, hahahah!

Pocket-your post about not everyone interpreting the codes is spot on and exactly my concern.

I'm OK with running up a mountain pass this week and then seeing what codes come off but how do I find a good mechanic that specialized in diesels. Looking in the PNW, specifially the greater Seattle area and south king co would be even better. I'll still post the codes here to see what you guys think as I'm really torn as to the best course of action.

My biggest concern is that I have to run to remote E WA in two weeks and bring horses home over the mountains and it's not a very forgiving trip if something goes wrong!!

Thanks everyone! Now to get some codes....

Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have guys in the Seattle area. You need to clear the codes and then check for more after you drive it.

Definitely do not get rid of that truck. I have a 2001 with 334,000 on it. Engine is all original and I stuck a trans in it at 298,000.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Dan, "Kwikkordead" on this forum is a VW mechanic in Seattle, but he knows as much or more about our trucks as most people on this forum. He may be able to help you out.

Quick Reply: Lots of tranny and turbo codes...is it time to let truck go?