Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2004 Escape won't start...sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM
bostonjoe128
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Escape won't start...sometimes.

I have a 2004 Escape, 4x4, V6 with 116k on it. Recently it won't start until it's sat for a few hours. I'll drive it for a couple of days without a problem and then it will refuse to start. The Battery is strong, the starter is trying to turn it over but it won't fire up. I've seen several other posts with Escapes having this same issue but none have given a resolution. I'm figuring it may be the fuel filter, the fuel pump, or the computer control. I'm not that tech savy so if someone has a suggestion please keep it to the "Idiots Guide" level. Thanks,

Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
00GT
Elder User
Have you tried pressing the gas a little while turning it over? Our 01' use to do the same thing then it just stopped one day...no idea why

Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM
bostonjoe128
New User
Originally Posted by 00GT
Have you tried pressing the gas a little while turning it over? Our 01' use to do the same thing then it just stopped one day...no idea why

Yes, after attempting to start it a few times without touching the gas I then tried holding the pedal down to the floor while attemtping to start it. I turn the key for about 4-7 seconds at a time. No luck. When I let it sit for a few hours and then try to start it it fires right up.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
TwoMuchMud
Freshman User
Check to make sure the fuel pump is running when it won't start (easy as listening for it). It could be worn out or whatever, getting hot, and then it stops running well. I had that Mustang that did that. Change fuel filter if it's old. Still could be the pump even if it runs though. A pressure check is the only way to be sure but I'd save that for later.

Doesn't hurt to check the air filter either since that is easy.

Check the spark plugs. If they are worn and out of spec it can cause them to get fouled by fuel. If it sits for a while the gas evaporates and then it will start. I had this happen on my car just this weekend. Was running fine then all of a sudden it would not start (old plugs had 82k miles on them, oops).

At least that's some of the easy stuff to check. Pulling the engine codes can help rule out some types of problems (Advance Auto, Autozone, etc. can do this for free if you don't have a reader).

Old 09-06-2011, 05:58 PM
00GT
Elder User
One other thing to check..does the THEFT like flash repeatedly when it doesn't start?

Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 AM
bostonjoe128
New User
I have the car at the mechanic and he says the fuel pump is good. I don't believe it's a clogged fuel line because the car doesn't chug, it either runs great or just won't start. I've put fuel injector cleaner in the tank and ran it at 80mph for 20 minutes to blow anything out.

Some other people have posted the same issue with the same motor/trans combo. Some of them have changed the fuel pump and filters but still had the problem. Unfortunatly nobody posts if they resolved the issue or not. I promise if I get this solved I'll post the solution.

Oh ya, my mech has also checked codes for Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors, just in case they went bad.

Thanks

Old 09-08-2011, 11:13 AM
00GT
Elder User
Originally Posted by 00GT
One other thing to check..does the THEFT like flash repeatedly when it doesn't start?
When its turning over does the theft light flash?...if so the key could not be commucating with the pcm all the time. I've had this happen before on rangers and f150s

Try a spare key

Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spare key won't do it I think.

our 2005 does the same....not so much a refusal to start but it definitely doesn't want to start on a hot engine...hard hot restart just started for us.

Battery is new, new fuel and air filter, and only 18k into a tune-up. Not throwing any codes either.

Starts fine after it cools for about an hour. But say I go to check mail, kill engine and then try to restart it and it takes about an extra 3-5 seconds of cranking. ALMOST seems like lack of fuel, but it would show other issues, I think. Hesitation or sluggish on hard accel...

Anyone else have an idea here?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 AM
00GT
Elder User
That's weird. I had a similar problem on a 2003 F150 before the original key lost its program and wouldent start all the time. When it was trying to start the Theft light was flashing repeatedly. Tried my second key and never had a problem since. Just a thought...might not be your problem though

Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
bostonjoe128
New User
db Tanker, that sounds a lot like the issue I'm having. It doesn't seem like it's a clogged line or filter only because when it's running it doesn't bog down at all. The problem I'm have now is my neighborhood mech can't put his finger on the problem.

I may try a different key but if it's the chip in the key why would it only not start when the engine is hot? Also, no lights are flashing to indicate anti theft system has kicked in.

I may have no recourse but to bring it into a dealer. I don't trust taking it out now.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
bostonjoe128
New User
Ok, I may have found the issue. I re-read the TSBs and found one that may apply. The problem may be in the PCM (Powertrain control module.) According to the TSB the Driver side window pillar is prone to leaking, over time the water causes corrosion in C134, C263, terminal connectors or the Central Junction Box. These corroded terminals will cause several problems including mine which is a failure to start. According to the TSB the connectors and module need to be checked for corrosion, if corroded replaced, and the leak needs to be sealed. I have the Truck at a Ford Dealer, they are going to look at it. I told them about the TSB now I'm just waiting for confirmation and the bill$. I'll update once I have confirmation. Oh ya, the TSB is 06-9-3 MAY 06 Electrical - Intermit. No Crank/Start/MIL ON/DTC's Set

Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I would have checked the fuel pump relay. If it got tired, it might not run the pump when it got hot, or the pump got a little hotter, and drew a little more current.
I would have also checked for spark or signal at the COP(s) to see if the coils were being energized to create spark.
tom

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM
bostonjoe128
New User
Ok, new development. I had the Escape brought to the Ford dealer because my neighborhood mechanic couldn't find the cause and it looked like Ford may have a TSB regarding the issue as stated in previous post. The Ford dealer called me today to say the problem is the Fuel Pump??? To replace the fuel pump module is going to run $900. I think the dealer is screwing me but at this point my back is against the wall.

My problem is the Escape won't start and is now dead at the Ford Dealer. I can't keep having it towed from one repair shop to another. I looked up on-line the average cost of replacing a fuel pump...$425 at a shop, granted the dealer is going to be a little bit more. They know they have me over the barrel. I'm going to call 2 other dealers tomorrow morning and have them give a quote on the job. The Service writer did say that if this doesn't fix the issue they will continue to look for the problem and do any required fix at no extra charge (not in writing.)

I have a suspicion the problem is the water damage in the terminals as outlined in the TSB, it's an inexpensive fix, but by replacing the fuel pump it becomes a $900 job. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help. I hope my posting the TSB under will help anyone with a similar issue.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
a fuel pump from Ford was about $350.00 its a 10 minute job to install it.On the driver side under the back seat bottom flip it up there is a cut out on the carpet flip it up then there is 4 phillip screws that hold an access plate.Take them out and 2 connectors 2 fuel lines and a large nut to unscrew.Remove pump.Its that easy!!

Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
When I had a similar no-start problem, replacing the IAC cleared it up.

Quick Reply: 2004 Escape won't start...sometimes.