Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2004 Escape won't start...sometimes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 PM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any more news there bostonjoe?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 PM
HENDU3270
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wifes 2003 Escape started doing this same thing a couple of months ago. It wouldn't start after she had been running a few errands and got back in the car. It would always start right back up after I left work and dropped her off at work and then went back to it (after an hour or so had passed). This has been one to two times per week since it started but now has totally stopped starting at all. Any news on a fix. I've replaced the IACV and am about to replace the fuel filter. I have no idea how to test the fuel pump. Relay seems to be working fine but I don't hear the pump (never recall hearing it ever). Should it come on when the key is in the on position? How can I test the pump and / or pressure?

Chris

Old 10-17-2011, 09:44 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
when you first turn the key you should hear the pump for a few seconds.could take off the gas cap and listen while some one turns the key.If it is the pump it is a easy job to change it.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
HENDU3270
New User
I can honestly say since we've owned the Escape (over 5 years now), I have never once heard (noticed) the fuel pump kick on. Never actually listened for it though. Last night I pulled up the rear seat and put my ear directly on the access plate and had my wife turn the key on. I heard nothing. I wish I had atleast once heard the pump turn on so I knew what I was NOT hearing. I'm hoping it's not just too faint for me to hear. It does look like a simple job though from what I've read. The fuel pump relay does click when the key is turned on so I'm assuming power is getting back to the pump.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sometimes you can tap on the tank and the pump will work again for a while so you can try that and see if that works for you.My fuel pump want out like running great then it wouldn't start.Luckly it was in my driveway when it choose to quit working.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 AM
HENDU3270
New User
Originally Posted by bmuhlbach
sometimes you can tap on the tank and the pump will work again for a while so you can try that and see if that works for you.My fuel pump want out like running great then it wouldn't start.Luckly it was in my driveway when it choose to quit working.
Yeah hers was in the driveway as well. I'd like to test the correct wire which powers the fuel pump so I can test that it has power during start up but so far I haven't been able to find a diagram that tells me exactly which one.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
One other thing to consider is the fuel pressure sensor. I think it is mounted on the fuel rail under the hood. It reports the pressure in the rail to the computer. The computer then regulates the pressure put out by the pump. If the sensor went on vacation, the computer might think pressure was too high, and refuse to send power to the pump.
I believe you can energize the pump externally to check for proper operation before replacing it without testing.
tom

Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 AM
HENDU3270
New User
Originally Posted by tomw
One other thing to consider is the fuel pressure sensor. I think it is mounted on the fuel rail under the hood. It reports the pressure in the rail to the computer. The computer then regulates the pressure put out by the pump. If the sensor went on vacation, the computer might think pressure was too high, and refuse to send power to the pump.
I believe you can energize the pump externally to check for proper operation before replacing it without testing.
tom

Not sure how to test the sensor or energize the pump externally....

Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 PM
sactoford
New User
You can make a jumper wire and jump the relay to make the pump run.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
cat-977
New User
yep sounds like an IAC motor

Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 AM
HENDU3270
New User
Forgot that I had posted here. Just to let everyone know. I was able to buy a fuel pump on Ebay for around $60.00. It was off a wrecked vehicle. Installed the new pump and haven't had one issue to date. I never really paid attention to the pump before having this problem, but now that I'm aware of it, you can definitely hear it kick on when you turn the key to the "on" position. Thanks for the help on this issue guys.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM
pburn883
New User
I had this same problem on my 2001 ford escape 2.0l. All i did was change the fuel injectors and the starting problems went away. My car had 138k miles at the time of the replacement.

Hope this helps people looking for solutions

Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 AM
brad020
New User
I have the same problem. Sometimes when hot the fuel pump won't turn on. Have had pump replaced. Escape's at the shop again to see if they can diagnose. I actually left the gas cap off yesterday to see if that would change anything, and it started working on the third try. Wondering if evaporative emissions system has something to do with it.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 AM
DutchOven68
New User
Did you ever figure it out?

Hi Chris,

Did you ever figure out what was causing your Escape issues? The same exact thing is happening with my 2002. It always starts in the morning, every time. Go out for a bit, short errand, drop kids off, then it won't start. Wait an hour or so and it starts right up. I've replace the IAC valve, a vacuum hose that some other site mentioned was a likely problem, and the fuel pump relay. When it doesn't start I can always hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key so I don't think it's the pump. Did you figure it out?

Thanks,
Pete

Originally Posted by HENDU3270
My wifes 2003 Escape started doing this same thing a couple of months ago. It wouldn't start after she had been running a few errands and got back in the car. It would always start right back up after I left work and dropped her off at work and then went back to it (after an hour or so had passed). This has been one to two times per week since it started but now has totally stopped starting at all. Any news on a fix. I've replaced the IACV and am about to replace the fuel filter. I have no idea how to test the fuel pump. Relay seems to be working fine but I don't hear the pump (never recall hearing it ever). Should it come on when the key is in the on position? How can I test the pump and / or pressure?

Chris

Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Go under the rear seat, drivers side, and check for power from the fuel pump controller. On some, anyway, it is controlled by the ECM to adjust fuel pressure. I think by limiting power to the pump motor. If the controller fritzes, you'll lack fuel pressure.
I don't think there is a relay in the wiring, but would have to check the wiring to be sure. Look in the power distribution box near the battery under the hood for a diagram of what does what to see if your machine has a fuel pump relay. If so, you could possibly swap it with another relay (A/C?) to test its function.
tom

Quick Reply: 2004 Escape won't start...sometimes.