Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Service engine light and codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:13 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service engine light and codes

I have been having some Service Engine Light problems and have some questions. These are the following codes I have currently:

P0381- glow plug circ error
P0460- fuel level circ error
P1139- water in fuel

I am also receiving 4 more codes all related to the glow plugs # 2, 4, 6, and 8. But I was revewing the forum and noticed the Chris helped out another member and his instructions were pretty much spot on. There I am really not worried about the glow plug codes. I am going to try to fix those over this long weekend. I would also like to fix the other 3 service engine light codes also that I mentioned above. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Lee

Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Drain the fuel bowl, clear the codes, and see if the fuel codes come back. Sometimes these computers will trip phantom codes. I'd only worry about them if they come back after you clear them.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:05 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What he said... Clear and check again after 50-100 miles.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
I will try to do that right now and let you know.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:37 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
well I drained the fuel bowl twice so far and cleared the codes and drove about 100 miles after each time I drained the fuel bowl and cleared the codes. So all of the codes are still there after draining the fuel bowl twice. What is next? This has been going on for sometime now. Please help!

Lee

Old 09-04-2011, 06:31 PM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
mind adding info as to what year/milage/model truck your running and any mods if any?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
truck is 2001 f350 cc, lb, 7.3, 224,000 miles, and I am running a V3 vegistroke kit on it as well. However, there has never been any wvo or oil that has entered the fuel bowl. I just changed the fuel filter out about 300 miles ago. And it was dirty in there, because I do not thin the previous owner cleaned it. But I cleaned it real good and put in a new filter and cleared the codes and it still came back.

Lee

Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
The P0460 Fuel Tank Level Indicator Circuit Malfunction is exactly what it sounds like. Does the veggie system tie into the gauge wiring anywhere?

My guess on the other code would be a faulty WIF sensor, but you can check things using this procedure.

DK1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1139

DTC P1139 indicated that the instrument cluster has identified a failure of the WIFIL. The cluster sends the information to the PCM to set code P1139.
Possible causes:
failed indicator
faulty cluster
faulty PCM
Key on, engine off.
Does the WIFIL come on for approximately 2 seconds then turn off with key cycle?
Yes CLEAR DTC and RETEST. If fault code reappears, REFER to the Instrument Cluster section of the Workshop Manual to diagnose cluster.

No GO to DK2 .

DK2 CHECK KOEO CODE P1139
Key on, engine off.
Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test.
Is P1139 present?
Yes
REFER to the Instrument Cluster section of the Workshop Manual to diagnose instrument cluster. RESTORE vehicle and RETEST.

No Fault code is intermittent. RESTORE vehicle.

DK3 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1139
DTC P1139 indicates that the PCM has detected a failure on the WIFIL circuit.
Note: If only the light comes on with a DTC P1140, GO to Pinpoint Test DJ .

Possible causes:
shorted circuit
open in harness
damaged connection
open in lamp
damaged PCM
Key on, engine off.
Does the WIFIL come on for approximately 2 seconds, then turn off?
Yes CLEAR DTC and RETEST. If DTC P1139 returns, CHECK for an intermittent open or short in circuit 643 (RD).
No GO to DK4 .

DK4 LAMP STATE
Key off.
Did the WIFIL stay on in Step DK3?
Yes GO to DK5 .
No GO to DK6 .

DK5 CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND IN CIRCUIT 643 (RD)
Disconnect the PCM harness connector.
Key on, engine off.
Does the WIFIL stay off?
Yes INSTALL a new PCM. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No REPAIR short to ground in WIFIL control circuit 643 (RD). RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

DK6 CHECK FOR BLOWN FUSE
Check fuse for circuit 640 (RD/YE).
Is fuse blown?
Yes INSTALL a new fuse. CHECK for short to ground. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

No GO to DK7 .

DK7 CHECK POWER TO CLUSTER
Key off.
Disconnect instrument cluster harness connector(s).
Key on, engine off.
Measure voltage between instrument cluster connector(s) circuit 640 (RD/YE) and ground.
Key off.
Was voltage greater than 10.5 V?
Yes GO to DK8 .
No REPAIR open in PWR circuit 640 (RD/YE). RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

DK8 CHECK FOR OPEN IN WIFIL CIRCUIT 643 (RD/YE)
Install breakout box; leave PCM disconnected.
Measure resistance between instrument cluster harness connector circuit 643 (RD/YE) and PCM test pin 28.
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes INSTALL a new PCM. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
No REPAIR open in WIFIL control circuit 643 (RD/YE). RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:54 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
Chris,

I am getting that code The P0460 Fuel Tank Level Indicator Circuit Malfunction. Also, the vegistroke kit taps into the PCM for the truck to shut off on its own after about a minute in ahalf or so. So, yes one of the wires that comes with the kit taps into the PCM to bypass the engine run and make sure it runs when I pull the keys out of the ignition and then it shuts off by itself a minute and a half later. There are many other people running these kits that do not have this probelm and so many codes though. I would like to add that I had none of these codes before I installed the vegistroke systemI am actually tapped into fuse spot 37 (PCM Diode). I do not know if this is the root to the probelms or not. You said you may think there is a bad or faulty sensor for the fuel bowl, where do I buy a new sensor and is it that easy to just replace it. What do you also recommend for the The P0460 Fuel Tank Level Indicator Circuit Malfunction code?? And I amnot even receiving a light on the dash stating that there is WIF. what should I do??

Lee

Old 09-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
For the WIF code, try unplugging the fuel bowl heater, The WIF and the fuel bowl heater are in the same plug.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:38 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
I will try to do that tomorrow morning, I wont know the results until I drive about 50-100 miles though. And currently My truck is down for the count, I blew a seal in driver side rear caliper and my brakes went out last night. I do nto have any of the equipment to fix this myself because I recently moved and have a limited amount of tools right now. So, I might have to actually pay an automotive shop a lot of money to change this out and fix the issue. I will let you know how it goes.

Lee

Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
Oh, and one more thing, when I unplug the fuel bowl heater do I just let it sit there or tape it up? what do I do with it when I plug it?

Lee

Old 09-05-2011, 06:50 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by The Anaconda
Oh, and one more thing, when I unplug the fuel bowl heater do I just let it sit there or tape it up? what do I do with it when I plug it?

Lee
Nothing. Just leave it unplugged. For the other issue, remove the tap from the veggie system and drive it on #2 for a bit and see if you still have the code.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM
The Anaconda
Freshman User
Chris,

I will try to do that as soon as I get my braes and caliper change.

Lee

Old 09-05-2011, 12:59 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I see you are in Cali. If you have a Cali truck the GP codes are probably due to a bad GPCM (Glow Plug Control Module) which Cali trucks have instead of a GPR (Glow Plug Relay).

This is a GPCM. Make sure the connectors are tight. One connector for GPs 1,3,5,& 7 and the other for 2,4,6 & 8. When the GPCM goes bad it typically throws codes for all the GPs in one bank or the other.

Quick Reply: Service engine light and codes