Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

All newer trucks suck...IMHO(long rant).

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 11:34 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread. I drove a 1973 Ford F100 with a 360 several years ago, and my brother had a 1970 Chevy 2500 with a 350. They were good sturdy trucks, but were totally lacking any creature comforts. I bought a 2003 F150 King Ranch earlier this year, and I LIKE the heated leather bucket seats, the A/C, power windows and door locks, the extended cab, tilt wheel, cruise control, CD player, moonroof, etc, etc. Most of these options were not even available in trucks in the early 1970's, and the bench seats in those trucks were not the foremost in comfort, that's for sure. Also, the power in the new truck with the 5.4 puts the old one's to shame. I think we forget that those older trucks, even with the V8 options, were not real quick in STOCK form, and the handling was sorely lacking too! As for maintenance, the old jobs are far easier to work on, but they needed more work! (Although Ford should relocate the oil filter on the 5.4)
Bottom line is that Ford and the other manufacturers are building product that people want today. I use my truck for commuting to work, and some light hauling. Yes, the paint in the bed is still factory fresh, and will probably remain that way as long as I have the truck, but it meets my needs. While those older trucks had there place, and are fun to restore or hot rod, if they were made today like they were in 1970, they wouldn't sell like the new ones do. Auto companies (like Ford) are not stupid, give people what they want, they'll make it the #1 vehicle nameplate sold!

Old 07-03-2003, 07:51 AM
battered_bronco
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have found my home here

had my 78 bronco(and yes its been battered) for a year and the only problems are the direct result of no maitence/idiots original timing chain i pulled when bought (geez come on people)

the duraspark box appears origanal(motor craft and old no date)
still works connectors brittle but swapped a msd duraspark box #8778 with timing control

the thing has reportally been off a bridge and still rolls along ok, try that with a new truck you'll have plastic blowing away and a ball of paper thin steel/aluminum ball that was a ""truck""(that is the apropeate way to describe these also acceptable is so called truck

yes i have a 4x10 inch hole in the drivers floorboard a freind had a full sixed chevy of the late 90's 97-99 and his has more rust thru that mine thinner steel= less whieght and better fuel econmy and quick rust thru
just a 79 bronco most options with a larger hole in the floor
wet feet +carpet =rusted floor boards gee guess they weren't as many passengers as drivers as the pass side is usally solid

death of the truck started in 80 when ford started using twin beam suspention in 4x4's sure they offer a softer ride but by sacrificind ruggedness

next power as far as one can tell there all useing car motors the truck was very close to dead with the 400 (ford) being dropped and the 300 was the last truck engine made

the peak tourque is mostly around 3500-3750 rpm .
i try to shift before then and touque(axle twist force) when hauling/of driveing a heavy verihickle(truck)/pullin chebbies is best applied right after the drive is engaged(put in gear) to start your truck/+trailer/+chebbie to started rolling

i wouldn't trade my TRUCK even for a shiny new f350 so called truck unless i can sell the new one and buy a(more likely 2 or more) old trucks
well thanks for letting me vent

ps
IF YOU WANT A CAR BUY A CAR AND MAYBE THEY WILL BRING BACK THE TRUCK
at this rate how long before the f series goes to a uni-body??

Old 07-06-2003, 06:43 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru

Battered bronco: I agree with you, but I think the last of the real trucks went away in 96. I do like the fuel injection, but if could get a hold of a 78-79 4x4 pick up with a 429 or 460 in good shape. I would never buy another vehicle. Personally. Im not into the fancy crap they are filling new trucks now a days. I like the rough ride, and spartan interriors of the custom level trucks. I leave it to my car to be car like.

Now a days, in order to get a basemodel 4X4 such as a superduty, with the base V8 and manual transmission, you pretty much have to order it. (i do commend ford on making these kinds of trucks available) I will not pay thousands of dollars for fancy stuff I have no use for.

Old 07-07-2003, 01:36 AM
74crwcb429hibPS4spd
Elder User

I like the old stuff. Cause I can work on it. Its cheap.

I have a 460 and at 55mph I can get 15 MPG. I am adding AC soon. I like a stick so that's what I have. CC soon also. Will add sound deadining, so it is nice and quite but I can still hear the rumble.Will have the windows tinted, power window and door locks added, and 4x4 at the touch of a button. I prefer cloth to leather(just me) that what it has now. My seats are stock and more comfortable than some of the newer Fords I have sat in.

I think I can tow more than the new trucks. I have heard stories of the new trucks pulling their frames apart with some heavy tows.

What I don't understand is that people kill there budgets and will spend $30,000 plus on a truck(not including interest and insurance) when they could spend $3 to $5,000 on an older rig and for a little more have every comfort they wanted added to it!
And they could pay some one else to do the work and they would still be big $ ahead with no hassle.

To each his own. I guess. Just don't ask me to work on a new truck (no room to work around the engine)

The crummy thing is in some states they are paying people to bring in their old rigs to distroy. Torqs me! Oh yes that's another reason why I like my old truck-- no emissions check(no more $ to the state.) Oh yes and my insurance is $185 every 6 months(no collision) no accidents or speeding tickets.

I have about $3,000 in my truck as it sits. It is problably worth around $5,000. No depreciation there. I could afford a $40,000 truck. No thanks.

I will admit that I think some, just some of the new trucks look real nice.

And finally no way do I want to buy an import. Come on.

Hungry? Go eat your import.

Support the USA. Buy made in the USA.

Greg

Old 07-07-2003, 11:10 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend

Right on Greg!

I just added AC to mine, and it already has power steering. I have some interior work to do yet, as well as a paint job (thus the Rusty70F100 user name.) No holes over 1/4 inch though. I paid, get this, $250 for this truck. I probably have $1000 into it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm building a 390 for it, too. It just blows my mind how people can spend $30,000 to $40,000 on a new truck. I've seen how many problems these things have, my dad has a 2000 chevy silverado, that he bought new in 2000, and that thing has had more problems than my truck has!

I personally find enjoyment working on a truck, adding something and making it work right. However, there are some people that dont, and like greg said, they would still be big money ahead by getting an old truck and having someone do all the work right off the bat.

I could go on about this forever.

-Kurt

Old 07-07-2003, 06:29 PM
gdavis2265
Senior User

yea, just finished mine- completely rebuilt with paint inside and out (greg, come over and take some pics please) I have ~$12000 into it and most every part is new or rebuilt- with 20mpg - I love this truck!

Old 07-07-2003, 06:54 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This forum section is for factual discussion and comparision of Ford's trucks and its competition, not for an old/new discussion. Please gang... start respecting this, its getting out of hand and I will remove this section if it continues.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:09 PM
74crwcb429hibPS4spd
Elder User

Kurt,

$250 for your truck-- wahoo-- a great deal! Thats what I mean. My brother just bought a Dog truck, looks nice and it has the creature comforts and it is 5 years old(Darango I think) but don't ask it to do any heavy towing or pull a stump or payload. He does pull a small boat at times so we will see how the trans holds up.

Anyone have the "factual" facts on a 98 Dog Darango midsize pick up --towing, curb wieght, HP, TQ, and payload. I think he paid around $12K for it but lots of plastic and esp. the grill area. Nice looking truck but...
(Glenn how about Wed noon? Man you guys got to see Glenn's new paint and interior, pics on Wed post on Wed afternoon?(come on now Glenn you still need to add AC and how about nituous on that torqy I300 for a tire burn))

Ken,

This thing started out talking about the problems with new trucks including the competition. The place to cut it off would have been on page one after just a few replies not after everyone really gets into it. Yes I know alot of your web sites income come from newer truck part advertisement? But isn't the most activity from the 68 to 79 truck users? Why the heavy hand here?!? I appriciate your need for guidlines and do not want to waste web available memory. But I really thought discussions are for meeting the interests of the users not for the purpose of fitting into a mold of proper location-- no chasing rabbits-- that is fun. If not why not. Don't see the deal here?

Greg

Old 07-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Derek83
New User

With you all the way man!

It seems the newer they get the cheaper they get but not to buy that always goes up. I'll stick with my oldies. I've got an 83 f-150 and not one sensor on it to mess up!

Old 07-08-2003, 09:09 AM
gdavis2265
Senior User

Thanks Greg, Wed sounds great! Here's a fact. I have a friend with an '85 Chev 4x4 - he noticed a crack in the frame between the box and the cab. He was going to plate it and weld it up, so he removed the bed. That's when the other side of the frame let loose. truck busted in half. Man, I guess the older stuff can be cheap too. Might just be the brand

Old 07-11-2003, 12:50 AM
P1ckup Man
Senior User

hell my dad has a 97 f-250 CrewCab 7.3 Power Stroke the only thing thats been wrong with it is a head light went out and the ball joints went out at 167,000 miles. oya we had to put a 3inch lift in it cause front end was sagging but he was gona put it in sooner or later anyway
my mom has a 98 Mercury Mountaineer nothin has ever gone wrong with it except a dead battery in winter and that is 90,000+ miles
then my 79 f-150 replace motor at 290,000 miles and everything else is origanal except exhaust :P

Old 07-11-2003, 01:15 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ken,

This thing started out talking about the problems with new trucks including the competition. The place to cut it off would have been on page one after just a few replies not after everyone really gets into it. Yes I know alot of your web sites income come from newer truck part advertisement? But isn't the most activity from the 68 to 79 truck users? Why the heavy hand here?!? I appriciate your need for guidlines and do not want to waste web available memory. But I really thought discussions are for meeting the interests of the users not for the purpose of fitting into a mold of proper location-- no chasing rabbits-- that is fun. If not why not. Don't see the deal here?

Before this forum was created there was a lot of discussion whether people would be able to post in the essence of which was intended, That BEING TECHNICAL DISCUSSION

It seems the Jury is still out !

We can always remove this forum if we find that people Just can't or don't want to dicuss things technically and make emotional comments instead.

Personally I can't figure out how these threads go south so easily.

Perhaps users need to acquire more discipline ?

Remember...... if you abuse it ....you lose it !

Old 07-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see no reason to replace my 84 or 77 with any thing new. I love my 84 F150 4wd I can get 16-18mpg on the freeway if I stay at around 65-70mph. I have no problem getting back in the woods where my buddies and I hunt, whether I am pulling the camper or not. The snow gets pretty deep up in the northern parts of Michigan, yep the ol Ford has no problem gettin through it either. When I am not towing the camper I take the back way in...fun 2 creek crossings (no bridges) deep rutted, flooded and muddy logging trails all the way out there. Probably half of the miles I have put on this truck since I bought it 5 yrs ago are off road miles. A good portion of my on road miles are highway miles, no matter how far I have taken it from home I still have never been left stranded. Now I have not owned my 77 F250 for vey long but I feel that in the mechanical condition it is in right now, I wouldn't be afraid to take it out to the same places as my 84. Now I have to admit I like the comfort of the newer trucks but it's true they really are more like cars. The newer vehicles can go much farther between service checks than ever before. This being said I wouldn't be afraid to take one of those on a long trip either. But I would definatey think twice about taking one of them into some of the places off road that I have driven my old trucks. New trucks don't seem to have the ground clearance and sturdy enough suspension or drivetrain to handle the abuse of off roading.

Old 07-13-2003, 04:11 PM
superdutyspv
Senior User

Every manufacturer makes a lemon. i am sorry that YOU had such bad luck. My 00 Super Duty is flawless. It has over 60,000 miles on it and going stong. I love Ford, and that is what I choose to stick with. They have all been VERY reliable.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Chief10Beers
New User
exactly right dude...my 93 Ford F 350 7.3 diesel is bullet proof and in no way gonna compare to one of the newer 6.4 diesel's especially since California is now putting emission standards on diesel trucks...i work at a ford dealer and hear the new diesel trucks are getting 12 to a gallon at best and are starving for power...im with all of ya and gonna stick to the old trucks

Quick Reply: All newer trucks suck...IMHO(long rant).