Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   All newer trucks suck...IMHO(long rant). (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/109602-all-newer-trucks-suck-imho-long-rant.html)

Idaho 04-04-2003 02:40 AM

All newer trucks suck...IMHO(long rant).

I found this message board soon after I bought a nice `99 F150 4x4 supercab, SB, XLT, 5.4 V8, and off-road package. Only 34,000 miles on it. I bought it to replace the `97 Nissan Pathfinder my wife totaled.
At first, she loved the truck; it was big, but not too big, easy to drive, lots of power, decent gas mileage, and very sharp looking. Then, we discovered that it had the infamous pass. side cylinder head gasket problem. Got it fixed under warranty. About a month after the factory warranty ran out, the MAF sensor went bad, then again about another week later. Then the TP sensor went bad. Then we discovered that the drivers-side door had a crack developing.
Seems that the crack was another common problem on these trucks.
Then the 4R70 tranny started acting up:rolleyes: . We had had enough and traded it in on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 quadcab SLT with the 360. Only 16,000 miles on it and a beautiful dark blue metallic. It was the sales manager's truck and had every stainless steel option on it.
That POS lasted about 4 months before we had to get rid of it. It averaged about 12 mpg, was gutless, drove like a lifted truck from the `70s, and developed an intermittent rough-idle problem. The dealer told us that the rough-idle, poor handling, and bad gas mileage were all perfectly normal, and common complaints of Dodge truck owners.
The fuel pump went bad, check engine light came on a couple of times, and my wife finally refused to drive it with the kids in it.
We finally learned our lesson and bought a 2001 Infiniti QX4 (a luxury version of the Nissan Pathfinder). My wife now has 250hp, 18 mpg average, heated leather seats, and a vehicle that has yet to have any problems, just like her previous Nissan Pathfinder.

The funny thing is that for both the Ford and the Dodge, I went to message boards for both trucks (and later a Chevy site) and discovered that they all had multiple common problems that made owning them like playing the lottery.
Some guys had great trucks that never gave them problems, but most had trucks that all shared certain serious problems.
I have owned dozens of `60s, `70s, and `80s Ford, Dodge, and Chevy trucks over the years, and they were all decent trucks with few problems.
Now days, it seems that the auto manufacturers want a house payment for nice comfortable trucks that fall apart within 2 years of purchase:mad: .
My `92 F250 has been a pretty good truck, and with only 50,000 miles on it, I can't see spending $35,000 to buy a new truck that I doubt will be any better at what I need a truck for.
When I bought my `92, I was looking for a `79 Ford F250 supercab 4x4. But, those are worth their weight in gold, and I couldn't find a nice one for much less than the $10,500 I paid for a mint-condition `92 F250 4x4 supercab XLT with only 42,000 original miles.
You guys can keep on arguing about which new truck has more power, at what RPMs, and which one has better equipment, but I'll stick with the old stuff, because the new stuff all sucks;) .

pfogle 04-04-2003 09:42 AM

it;s called planned obslecence (sp?). All the major manufacturers do it now, it basically means that you won;t get but about 75k miles on a vehicle before catastrophe hits.

BobbyL 04-04-2003 04:09 PM

I'm with you bro. I'd give my right arm to be rid of my 99 F-150 and have my old 60 F-100 and 63 C-20 in the driveway. V-8's and 4 speeds with no aluminum, check engine lights, or plastic rock!!!!! I may have to fork out $500 for this 78 F-250 I found. If I could unload some Snap-On tools I would but the pawn shops around here will only give me a tenth of what they're worth. Dang that $350/month payment.

ford_tr_man 04-04-2003 08:03 PM

well i have NEVER had any probs with my new/newer trucks/cars
so you can stick with the old stuff i want new

BobbyL 04-04-2003 10:10 PM

Actually Carlene I'd prefer to keep my right arm.:-D :-D

Carlene 04-04-2003 10:15 PM

Hey Bobby:

Actually I would think you'd prefer to keep that other thing even more!! ;) :D

BobbyL 04-04-2003 10:24 PM

Originally posted by ford_tr_man
well i have NEVER had any probs with my new/newer trucks/cars
so you can stick with the old stuff i want new

Exactly how often have you taken that off-road package off road? Gravel parking lots don't count. Now that I own a new model truck I feel like such a poser. My truck has a auto tranny, power windows, cloth seats, etc. Who needs that crap? I look under my hood and theres black plastic, aluminum, and wire looms everywhere. My 63 C-20 was 2 wheel drive but put it in granny and it would climb a friggin wall. New F-150's don't even have a decent first gear or the grunt to use what they got. My 60 F-100 had a beefy step bumper made out of iron plate. I could wrap a chain around it because it cleared the body. There was nothing I couldn't budge with that truck. Never bent the bumper in all the pulling I did. It had a big 8 foot bed. My new F-150's bumper is a joke and forget pulling something with that six. It's a plush daily driver but with a weak aluminum transmission it can't even do that. Buying a new F-150 was a huge mistake. I'm buying some old iron as soon as possible and I'm gonna let my F-150 sit. For $350/month plus the $250/month for full coverage insurance I could afford to maintain and drive 4-6 old trucks. I know. I've been there. By the way my 63-C-20 with a 283 4 speed and 5.38:1 rear axle averaged 12 mpg at 55 mph. Not too far off from a similarly equipped F-150. You can keep your flashy paint and leather seats. Soon as I unload my F-150 and get into a nice 60's F-100 or early 70's F-250 I'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Idaho 04-04-2003 10:52 PM

One of my employees has a 2000 F-150 just like my old one. She is a mother of 4 and uses it to commute to work from the mountains.
Last month, she was pulling out of the gravel parking lot at work and said that it steered really funny, but she managed to get it home, 35 miles away.
Her husband looked at it the next morning and discovered that the tie rod had broken:rolleyes: .
She had it towed to the Ford dealer and had it replaced under warranty, and was told by the tech that the tie rod issue was another common problem with the F150:mad: .
When shopping for a replacement for our F150, we looked at a 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4 ext cab. When we started it up, it made a horrible knocking noise and I knew immediately that it had the notorious "piston slap" problem I'd read about on one of the Chevy boards:rolleyes: . What a joke! the salesman said that it just needed to warm up, and that the piston wasn't being damaged knocking around the cylinder wall:rolleyes: . And I'm expected to pay $22,000 for a truck with the pistons knocking:confused: ?
Back in `94, I bought a `79 Ford F150 Supercab XLT 2wd with the 400M and 86,000 miles on it for $1850, in Iowa. I loaded up my wife and two small children and drove it all the way to Idaho (about 1400 miles). I got 14 mpg on the mostly stock motor.
I then hooked up my `66 F100 project truck to it and towed it all the way back to Iowa, and got 10-11mpg. I never broke down, overheated, or worried about my family's comfort or safety. It had cruise control, AC, a CD player, and was quite comfy.
Stupidly, I got bit by the muscle car bug and traded it for a `65 Dart GT pro street project car.
Sure, new trucks have many amenities and do some things better than any of our old trucks ever could. But, you can do a lot of custom mods to an old truck for that $450 a month payment.
My `92 came from the factory with a C6, a Dana 50HD, and a 10.25 Sterling. The only problem I've had with it has been related to the dang fuel injection system and computer.
I'm going to keep this truck for many years, and have been considering removing the top end of the motor and installing some pre-injection heads, intake and carb just to make it simpler and more reliable.

dman01 04-04-2003 11:32 PM

I have had good luck with the newer trucks and cars. I had one 96 f250 that had some problems and sole it for my 94 dodge.
I like leather seats. My 78 dodge has them, and it came like that from factory. The engine in not stock as I bought a police engine for it. It was rated at 360hp from a 360CI block. I put a different set of pistons and had a friend do the heads for me. runs great.
I can't say its my favorite truck but it is a great truck to run around in all summer.

ford_tr_man 04-05-2003 12:39 AM

I'm not afraid to take my truck off road i do it all the time in fact i like to go play in the mud often im not some prissy that will not take it off road but i like to do it in comfort.

If you want an old truck,keep it .
I will drive what I want and you will drive what you want. but You're entitled to your opinion

I use my truck as a truck but, I also want to be able to drive it every day and not feel like it will break down at any minute.

I will keep my nice truck.

Edited for Content by Administration
The Comments made were un-necessary

BobbyL 04-05-2003 07:17 AM

I have had my old trucks break down. My 87 G-20 had a ignition module go bad suddenly. My 60 F-100 and 63 C-20 never left me standing. In part this was due to my religious servicing of the vehicles. The first weekend of every month they got a oil and filter change, the tranny fluid and rear axle fluid was checked (replaced every 3 months), brakes were checked, I pulled the spark plugs and checked the color of them, I checked my points and condenser, and did a compression check. All on the first weekend of the month to each truck. I took my time and went over the vehicle front to back. If I saw something that was suspect it got repaired. It was handy to have 2 so if 1 was unreliable or suspect I could drive the other one until I fixed it. Every 6 months I replaced the spark plugs, points and condenser. Religious maintenance will let these old dogs hunt long into their twilight years. As an added bonus I got a lot more waves and thumbs up driving a nice 60's truck than I do driving my F-150. Having no emissions equipment also opens up limitless power options for these trucks. Stuff anything you want under the hood, it's legal. Vintage Air even makes a A/C kit for a lot of vintage trucks. While spendy it is easy to install. It's also fun restoring a old truck. Making those body panels straight again. Deciding how to power it, what color to paint it, what color vinyl to put on the seat, whether or not to get a saddle blanket for the seat, chrome or stainless steel, it's all fun. $400 a month goes a long way to restoring old bullet. Then theres the insurance. I was paying $600 every six months for both my trucks. Now I'm paying $2100 every six months for one truck. I thought air bags and crumple zones were supposed to reduce your insurance costs. I don't have great insurance either. $10,000 combined single limit on my liability and $1,000 deductible. Cheapest I could get. Live and learn I guess. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I used to envy people that drove flashy new trucks. Man was I wrong.

ford_tr_man 04-05-2003 07:31 PM

I'm sorry for saying what i did.
If thats what you want to drive then go ahead.

I felt offended by what you said and thats why I said what I did, and now that I think about it I could have been nicer an agen.

I'm sorry.

BobbyL 04-05-2003 07:59 PM

It's cool bro. Admin edited your post before I saw what you said. Probably a good thing too otherwise you would have had a pissed off coastie on your ass! LOL I'm just mad at myself for having this truck. I've had it less than six weeks now and the transmission is shot, dealership won't do anything about it, and I owe 14 grand on the life sucking SOB. Life was so much better when the only bill I had was my $640 a month Snap-On bill. Now I got that, truck payment, and insurance to contend with. On top of all the living expenses. At least alcohol dulls the pain. It's Miller time!

ford_tr_man 04-05-2003 08:05 PM

yeah i dient mean what i said and i was just mad,sorry

hey i understand what you mean to a point i had a lemon too MAN i hated that car lol lost alot of money in it and got nothin out of it

Idaho 04-05-2003 08:09 PM

Man, where do you live that your insurance is that high??
I have my 2001 Infiniti QX4, `92 F250, `95 Crown Vic Police Interceptor, all full coverage with $50 deductables, and life insurance for $250,000 on me AND my wife for only $180 a month.
Back when I was in the Navy, I went through GEICO. That was when they were restricted to military personnel only and pretty cheap. Now, I go through State Farm and they are a better deal.