Sponsored by: DP Tuner

To the People running the AIS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
To the People running the AIS

What do you guys think. Do you like it? I was thinking about tryin it then saw the price of a filter. Where do you guys get them cheapest? And how long do they last?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 PM
RainStroked
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love mine, my intake is spotless even after driving through some logging roads with lots of dust. It looks clean and the install is really easy, and the filters really do last a long time. I've read of guys getting 60k out of a filter, so the cost isn't terrible really. I like the fact that it's sealed from outside rain, and it flows plenty for my application.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That's what I wanted to hear. Has anyone used both the 6637 and the AIS to give a comparison?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:43 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
That's what I wanted to hear. Has anyone used both the 6637 and the AIS to give a comparison?
I first ran the AIS and then switched to the 6637. The 6637 was too noisy so I went back to the AIS.

Never saw any difference in performance or MPG between the two.

I also added the fender sleeve when I went back to the AIS.

Puredieselpower Fender Sleeve

Fender Sleeve Install If youre handy you can DIY the sleeve.

Before installing sleeve you need to be sure fender opening is clear.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
MiamiPSD
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a new AIS sitting in my garage to install but I lost or misplaced the rubber tube that attaches to it when I first changed over to a AFE unit. Need to find me a replacement.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
RainStroked
Senior User
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
I started with the 6637 but went to the AIS last winter. I was worried about rain water getting in, and with the exhaust and E99 WW that open filter would scream pulling up hills. I like how the AIS looks under the hood better, and it stayscompletely dry. I don't have a zoodad or fender sleeve, but since I'm on a stock tune I don't need it, and it works great for me as is right now.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:36 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm a fan of the AIS, great filt & looks like it belongs there.

Like Robin said get the fender sleeve then forget about it. There was a few places to get the filter elements for $55-$60 but you'll probably not need it for 2-3 years.

Never did try the 6637, I like to hear the radio when I'm driving...lol

Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 PM
WH90
Senior User
Love It

i have had mine for about 4 years and changed it once, other than being pricey its the best thing you can do for your truck,cut a hole in the side for it to grab more air the one hole isnt big enough

Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
I had an AIS and now it's sitting in the storage area because I went back to the 6637.
I could pull the filterminder to the second notch with a brand new filter whenever I would go out and take a trip with the trailer in tow.
Didn't like to see that much restriction even though I know it wasn't hurting anything.
The 6637 flows a lot better with just as good of filtration.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I had an AIS and now it's sitting in the storage area because I went back to the 6637.
I could pull the filterminder to the second notch with a brand new filter whenever I would go out and take a trip with the trailer in tow.
Didn't like to see that much restriction even though I know it wasn't hurting anything.
Did you have the fender sleeve cut into it Dan?

I've heard of folks moving the filterminder with a chipped truck, that's why I went with the fender deal right from the start.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM
RainStroked
Senior User
Originally Posted by cj45lc
Did you have the fender sleeve cut into it Dan?

I've heard of folks moving the filterminder with a chipped truck, that's why I went with the fender deal right from the start.
I've also heard that the filter minder on the AIS is super sensitive, probably overly sensitive really. I bet a fender sleeve would fix it up.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
WH90
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead

I had to cut holes, mine maxed out to

Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RainStroked
I've also heard that the filter minder on the AIS is super sensitive, probably overly sensitive really. I bet a fender sleeve would fix it up.
The filter minder that comes with the AIS is overly sensitive. I found that the stock filter minder did not react nearly as much so I left the stock one installed. After adding the sleeve it has not reacted at all except after putting the skinny pedal to the floor.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RainStroked
I started with the 6637 but went to the AIS last winter. I was worried about rain water getting in, and with the exhaust and E99 WW that open filter would scream pulling up hills. I like how the AIS looks under the hood better, and it stayscompletely dry. I don't have a zoodad or fender sleeve, but since I'm on a stock tune I don't need it, and it works great for me as is right now.
So you are running WW in stock E99 turbo. Did you have to get a special ww for e99 or are they all the same. That and if you are stock e99 you got the AIS kit for the e99 or did you buy the intake boot somewhere else?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
So you are running WW in stock E99 turbo. Did you have to get a special ww for e99 or are they all the same. That and if you are stock e99 you got the AIS kit for the e99 or did you buy the intake boot somewhere else?
A stock E99 turbo already has what is referred to as a Wicked Wheel.

If you install an AIS on an E99 you need a 99+ airbox to CCV coupler intake tube.

Quick Reply: To the People running the AIS