6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Xrailroader
I Purchased 2011 F350 SRW,built in April 2010 Didn't have any problem with throttle hesitation until after truck was flashed with 400/800 upgrade in Feb 2011. Ford dealership had flight recorders put on three times,also flashed again, but no fix. Had 9300 miles on truck and I love it except for the hesitation. Always happens in parking lots,or after stopping at traffic lights or when speed is between 0-10 mph. Ford says this is normal, but I'm not buying that. I too have had this happen when pulling into traffic & it is nerve racking when traffic is bearing down on you & you feel like a sitting duck. Once was traveling at 30mph,traffic light was red,then turned green pushed on throttle and nothing. (until it decides to go) 1 to 2 seconds. Ive even pushed throttle to the floor and still nothing.
I got fed up and ordered 2012 F350 SRW, (silly me),thinking maybe it was just a fluke. Well guys the 2012 arrived August 17,built on August 4 2011 and it too does the very same thing. Truck had 75 miles when first hesitation occured.
I don't know what I'm going to do. Don't want Chevy, definitely don't want a Dodge. May have to try

Chevy,but really would like Ford to please fix.
Ford service manager at my dealership has been good and now wants to try replacing the accelerator assembly. Apparently it has three sensers in it. ????
I still maintain it has something to do with BOA (Brake Over Accelerator),added to the 400/800 flash upgrade.
I do not drive with two feet,as some have suggested this is what's happening.
I hope Ford gets this problem figured out some time soon, as I've about had it with this new Ford.
Man, I'm really troubled reading this. I have seen a few scenarios where something similar happens with my truck. It has never been this dramatic of a lag, just a slight delay...

There is so much electromagic going on with these trucks it is hard to say what is going on. The fly by wire accelerator, traction control, roll control and hill assist are probably all interwoven into one big logic pile in the control modules.

I am always suspect of these functions. Especially when they make decisions for you based on their programming and their input. The hill assist is a good example. What if the function believes the truck is on a grade greater than 5% when it is not. The truck's logic is to keep the brakes on until the engine is making a certain amount of power. There is a moment delay until that happens. Not saying this is what is going here, but I would venture to say that these types of issues are more electromagic than electromechanical...

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Always happens in parking lots,or after stopping at traffic lights or when speed is between 0-10 mph.
I still maintain it has something to do with BOA (Brake Over Accelerator),added to the 400/800 flash upgrade.
BOA is not active until the vehicle speed exceeds 10 mph (16 km/h)...

Ford service manager at my dealership has been good and now wants to try replacing the accelerator assembly. Apparently it has three sensers in it. ????
The PCM uses two APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensors which reference each other to determine the amount of "GO". If the PCM detects a issue with one of the APP's it will illuminate the wrench light and operate off the good one. If the PCM detects a issue with both APP's it will only allow the truck to operate at idle.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
harris25
Junior User
So should I cancel my order for a 2012 I did the same thing as you was so frustrated with my 2011 that I ordered a 12, but if this is the case I don't want the headache again and will go to a different manufacturer.

I Purchased 2011 F350 SRW,built in April 2010 Didn't have any problem with throttle hesitation until after truck was flashed with 400/800 upgrade in Feb 2011. Ford dealership had flight recorders put on three times,also flashed again, but no fix. Had 9300 miles on truck and I love it except for the hesitation. Always happens in parking lots,or after stopping at traffic lights or when speed is between 0-10 mph. Ford says this is normal, but I'm not buying that. I too have had this happen when pulling into traffic & it is nerve racking when traffic is bearing down on you & you feel like a sitting duck. Once was traveling at 30mph,traffic light was red,then turned green pushed on throttle and nothing. (until it decides to go) 1 to 2 seconds. Ive even pushed throttle to the floor and still nothing.
I got fed up and ordered 2012 F350 SRW, (silly me),thinking maybe it was just a fluke. Well guys the 2012 arrived August 17,built on August 4 2011 and it too does the very same thing. Truck had 75 miles when first hesitation occured.
I don't know what I'm going to do. Don't want Chevy, definitely don't want a Dodge. May have to try Chevy,but really would like Ford to please fix.
I do not drive with two feet,as some have suggested this is what's happening.
I hope Ford gets this problem figured out some time soon, as I've about had it with this new Ford.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 PM
jxcasey
Freshman User
In April 2011 I made the following post and I am wondering if anyone since then has found that Ford has a way to fix this. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Here is the original post:
====================
dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator

In April 2011, I posted a problem under a different thread. As far as I know Ford has not provided a remedy for this issue as yet.

I am wondering if people are still having this problem with trucks built in the first third (Jan-April) of 2011; and, if recent trucks also are having this problem--or has this issue vanished? (There were quite a few responses to my original posts and a number were experiencing the same thing.)

Has anyone received a "fix" from Ford or found their own remedy?

Here are the basics:

1. Suppose I come to a dead stop or a rolling stop and I continue keeping a small or very small amount of pressure on the accelerator. When I try to start again gently, there are two outcomes: (a) the "hesitation" or "no or dead throttle response," when I had added only a small amount of pressure, or (b) a "lurch" when I add more pressure to counter act the hesitation!

2. On the other hand, if I come to a stop or a partial/rolling stop, and remove all pressure from the accelerator before I start again, it seems I can start from a stop normally, both gently and under control. I have been experimenting by being certain there is no accelerator pedal at all prior to any start from dead or nearly a dead stop. That isn't, however, a fail-safe approach because of various driving conditions.

But, even if that provides a partial remedy, there is still a problem because this isn't the way the accelerator should work. It should not take all that learning, adjustment, and counter-measures to drive safely.

I certainly agree with the another poster: either of the two results of this: the "hesitation," and/or the sudden "lurch," could put the truck in a dangerous situation. I already have experienced this near chaos a couple of times; and, I don't want anyone to have an accident in real life--and that could well happen.

So, is this problem continuing to appear on 6.7 2011 Fords, and, if anyone has a 2012---has this problem appeared on the most recently built Fords?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I haven't heard of any problems from the 2013s, don't know about the 2012s. My 2013 works great and I hope it continues to. Hope it helps!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Davgt500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had this happen to my 2011 so many times that I can't keep track anymore. It has done this with both the 2010 engine and the new 2013 engine. For me it only happens when I am turning under hard acceleration from a dead stop or a slow coast. This use to happen in my Kenworth that was an automatic also. I was told that it had something to do with protection of the axle & transmission under high torque situations while turning. That is the only time I experience this pause or hesitation (while turning under acceleration).
It always gives me back control of the throttle when the torque situation is decreased. I always just accepted it as a fail safe for the drive train. I can darn near predict when it will happen and have learned that when I am towing I just need to ease into it a little more instead of flooring it. (My tires like it that way also )

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
my 2013 does not do that. nice and smooth and always performs as expected.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM
DCinVA
New User
My 2011 is in the shop now for this exact issue. No-go from the go pedal. Dealers first response was, "no codes, nothing I can do". I basically ask him to keep it, and drive it, to determine the problem, and then fix it. Frankly I think it is a bit dangerous. The first time it happened, I kept pressing further on the pedal, and when it decided to go, it took off and I nearly ran into another car. Thank god I did not run over a pedestrian.

Hopefully they can find the issue, and correct it. Or perhaps someone here has found the issue, and can help.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM
jxcasey
Freshman User
Please keep us informed and up to date. I started this thread long ago and I still have not noticed any remedy. Thanks for reading and posting.

The only speculation I have heard is this results from driving with "two-feet", one on the accelerator and one on the brake. I haven't been able to determine if this explanation is correct in part and totally.

If someone has some new info, please post it.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 PM
DCinVA
New User
It is not a 2 foot driving issue. This is a dangerous design flaw that is unacceptable, and needs to be resolved before someone gets hurt or killed.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Romeo Scorpion
Senior User
I'm not convinced that it's not related to 2 foot driving. Just like my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel, my truck sometimes does this during and also just after 2 foot driving during slow maneuvers. Much more pronounced with the Jeep though as it's not "sometimes", it's all the time if you drive with 2 feet.

Last edited by Romeo Scorpion; 01-23-2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
This in my mind is one of two things. If you are driving with two feet, you are making the truck do that. If you are driving the normal way with one foot, then it could be a faulty throttle position sensor. I would see if Ford would replace that atleast, the most they could say is no, after all the time you've been in there. Worth a shot :/

Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
I've noticed this on a few 2013's that I've test driven. Slight delay or hesitation and then it lights off as RPMs finally come up. The dodge's do it as well, only worse. Some trucks better than others too so there is little consistency. General consensus seems to blame it on ECM torque management and emissions. For me at least, I know it's not 2 footed driving.

Adam

Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
I drive two footed. It is not that. There is a little delay due to emissions though. That all started with the 2008 6.4's.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:30 AM
DCinVA
New User
In my case the throttle delay is in excess of 1 second, more likely 2 - 3 seconds. I drive one footed. So far in 4000 miles of ownership, it has happened 4 times when I was at a dead stop, the last time it happened I was pulling out into traffic it started to go and I entered the intersection, then it dropped back to idle for 2 seconds leaving me slowly rolling in the intersection with oncoming traffic from both directions. Pretty scary.

If this were a delay of a fraction of a second, perhaps one could learn to live with it, but frankly I think it is dangerous.

Clearly, based on the responses here, there is an issue with some of these trucks. I love this truck, I am just not willing to live this issue.

Quick Reply: dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator