1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I borrowed money from my 401k....please vent here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I borrowed money from my 401k....please vent here!

I have been lurking...on here...at work...and in the garage...
I was doing great last year, on the truck, and this year has basically been an inexcuseable waste of time. I haven't had any money, and it's been hot! Also with Nicolle losing her job unexpectedly, just meant depression at its deepest, for me.
Oh and I found out my 17 year old son, who lives with his mother, is smoking weed...I have had some blows this year, of course I guess thats just life, but it still lets wind out of the sails...
Ok so Nicolle is starting her new job in a couple of weeks and at least that is an improvement. I am not really looking for sympathy, but like "BlueOvalRage" I had to vent a little, I don't have anybody here that I hang with except my wife(and she is great!). But no guys to trade punches with, or something to that effect.

I feel that all this crap has put me into "lack of ambition" mode, with everything home life, work life, and "truck project" life. I am trying to pull out, so I keep goin to the garage to work on the truck only finding myself to stand, sit, or lean and just stare at it! then i give up and go in the house and pout like a big baby...frustrated...
So now I am trying to get organized and produce some sort of "to do" list.
This is very overwhelming and i feel like i will never get anywhere with this thing.
I had to take a hardship withdraw on my 401k. and i am gonna have a little breathing room soon.
I just re-read the newbie stuff and kinda laughed where it says,"YOU DON'T NEED THAT 401k ANYWAY!" thanks John Niolon!

I am looking for a "sort of" what you guys did to go from step 1 to driveable. Something like that. I know not everybody will do the same order. but i need a pick-me-up...also I have no help from anyone but you guys, and it does help, but it sure would be nice to have someone here that was willing to stop by and offer some insight or help.
Maybe i am nuts thinking alot of you might have a friend like that?

Anyway thanks....Jeff

Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Jeff, if was just a little closer I would definately stop by to help. I know how it is to build a truck by yourself, that's pretty much the way I have done mine since I started. For a long time money was tight, I worked through that by doing the big stuff with what I had available and I didn't have to put out a lot of $$$. Hang in there, it will all come together someday. When it gets to be too much, walk away, go for a walk, do something else. We're always here to listen.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
hang in there Jeff. its not about the destination, its about the journey. you woke up today, took a breath and got out of bed. your doin better than some. plus you got to at least look at your truck. things will get better, they always do. and if i was closer, i would have you over to help with my junk!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff,

I hope you'll see the humor in this... I thought when I read about you dipping into the 401k that you had went and bought that truck you looked at! On a more serious note... hang in there. I sent you a PM. You're always welcome to come over and check out several of my long-term projects that I've been staring at for quite some time.

Rob

Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its like I've always said it would be nice if we all lived close together so we could help each other out and keep each other inspired. Seems like alot of depression and such going around lately. I cant seem to get in the mood to do much to any of my projects either and just seem to have a bad case of the blahs. I've got my one truck pretty much done but haven't even started on the '56 panel and about 1/3 of the way into the unibody with alot of other projects. If we all lived close enough we could kick each others butts and motivate one another to do something.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff, you said one time that you liked Homade, well let me tell you that it took me 6 yrs. to get to the point where I am and still not finished but what I want to say is not to get discouraged, make a to do list and work on the small stuff first and when finished with one on the list be sure to mark it off the list, you will see that you are making head-way. It's funny but just today my friend was at the house garage(where Homade was built) and ask what the list on the wall was for. Homade was on the road 41/2 yrs. ago and the list is still on the wall just as a reminder of hour many long hours I spent by myself and I must say it was all worth it so HANG IN THERE BUDDY, it will get better, Garry

Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Jeff, I know you've helped at least one "lost soul" on here, and I've always liked your positive attitude. If you have body work to do, Bondo and sand paper are pretty cheap as is primer. Body work will take what seem like forever. So, maybe you can get that body work done while you're waiting for your finances to come back around. I'm 2 years into my project and hope to drive it soon for the first time. My strategy is to work on the truck based on time, parts on hand, what needs to be done next, and most importantly what I feel like doing. As much as I want to get my truck done, the sad truth is that I'll have to start another project( I like to have something to do with my spare time) as soon as this one is done. As Thundersnow said, "it's about the journey." So, know that eventually you'll reach your destination. It's a long road; there is bound to be a few pot-holes. Like the others said, "If I was closer...."

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
In times like these I always recall the line..."life happens while you're making plans". I just missed my second annual car show because my truck wasn't finished. Last year I promised myself (and my wife) that the truck would be ready this year for sure....NOT. I guess that I have learned that you have to take what life throws at you and do the best with it. Schedules only make me feel bad when I don't meet them so I stopped making schedules. Life goes on, enjoy what you have and the love of a good wife...the rest will all work itself out.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I'm with you brother. We made some stupid financial decisions a few years ago. (Some this year too.) that have put us in a hole. It's hard to get real motivated when you can't justify spending money on your truck. I peaked my head in the garage this evening, my truck is still there and it will wait for me to get to it. Yours will too.

Just keep moving forward and trusting God.
Just think, you got to drive an old truck the other day. The smile on your face said a lot, just think when you will be driving yours. I figure I will sleep in mine some.

We are all family here, vent all you want. You know, I don't know that I have ever run across a forum that is such a brotherhood. (Sisterhood too for you lovely ladies.)

Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
KP Bob
Junior User
I know what it's like... 6 years ago I started my project, 1 year later, we moved, had to do major renos, keep the wife and kids happy with stuff for them, build a shop for work(and, of coarse, the truck) and on and on. Just started on it again in Jan of this year. Might be 1 or 2 more years till it's done....

Karl

Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Jeff, I can relate in a lot of the motivation sometimes to get the truck done and get overwhelmed as well. BUt like others have said, if you can just get one thing at a time checked off the list it feels good, even very small things.

(although I sometimes go months without really working on the truck specifically)
buying/selling parts and stuff to help finance my project to move forward and family really slow it down, but I don't know of or have any other way to do it.

I get easily distracted from my truck project with another project, who says I can't stay focused!!! hahaha (guess thats why I have 4 truck projects) yes, I just got rid of one...

Hang in there, things will look up.

Josh

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
There isn't a whole lot of Good News around these days... we had a horrible winter, horrible summer, horrible economy, and it seems like every day there is a new low in human events. The thing to remember is that you control your life, even when it's looking bleak.

As far as your truck, I am a firm believer that the important thing is to GET IT ON THE ROAD! It doesn't HAVE to be pretty, you just need to be able to feel the thrill of driving it. It does need to be safe, so brakes are first on the list, as well as steering. It needs to be fairly reliable, which means good solid wiring, and solid fuel and ignition systems. You can always go back and do the non-essentials when you have more time and money and are fully motivated.

Just having it driveable will provide you all the motivation you need.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Y'all are some of the best people out there!

Thanks Guys, I really do appreciate it. Funny how Ya throw out motivational advice. I do it all the time, yet I don't seem to practice what I preach, here lately. I gotta pull myself together and figure out what the heck is my problem.
This is way more than I ever expected when joining this forum, some of the best people I ever dealt with. I hope to meet at least some of you someday. thanks for your time!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jeff,
Lot's of good truck advice above - I'll chime in on "the 17 year old son smoking pot". I've got a 19 year old son - the last 2 years of high school were challenging - I think they like to bump heads & test the boundaries just to see if anyone cares. I would show him you care - recommend light beer & don't drive. I had a local cop come by & visit with my son about having pot in his car - He was handcuffed & put in the back of a squad car. It was a reminder to him that society at least right now - frowns on that stuff. I wouldn't lose sleep over it - just have him come over & wrench on the truck a bit.

Ben in Austin

Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I dont know you at all, and Ive read alot of your posts on this forum here...

I would just try to relax a little, "I don't worry about nothing no, because worrying's a waste of my time".

You seem like a hell of a guy, and if your project were closer to where i live, i would come give you a hand on yours before mine, and no, not just because I would learn from my screwups on yours first

I think a list, or some sort of organization for a project is a great idea, and IMO every project should have a "to do" list! Need to follow my own advice though!

Keep your stick on the ice man, the more people that stay motivated and finish their projects the better for everyone, yourself especially!

Quick Reply: I borrowed money from my 401k....please vent here!