6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

TRIP UPDATE...some good some bad...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
TRIP UPDATE...some good some bad...

Hey folks,

Well I took a trip with the family to see my aunt and uncle and meet up with my parents for their 40th wedding anniversary so long story short put 700 miles on the truck since Thursday night and just got home.

First off I ran Matts tow tune and have been running his tow tune for about a month now and for me I thinks its a great daily driver tune, I averaged about 19 mpg, my eot an ect temps averaged 8* separation on the highway running 70-74 mph, EGTs stayed around 600-800* with a max near 1000* for short periods of time pulling a long hill, turbo psi was a max of 30, still sticking, and trans temps stayed around 159*

So those number look comparable to what all you guys seem to be posting lately. I forgot how great this truck runs and its not a chore to drive I love it.

The wife and I have been talking seriously about trading up to a 11 but after this trip and some recent reading in the 6.7 forum I think I am going to stick with the 06, its running good and paid for.

Now for the bad:

On teh way home, maybe 100 miles or so away, I developed a howl in the rear end. I was hoping it was a front wheel bearing but when I go thome I ran down to the shop and put it on the lift and its definatly the rear end singing away.

I am glad to say the truck didnt leave me stranded and other than the newly developed howl it was another great trip with my truck.

So I checked my paperwork and my Ford Premium Care ESP hasnt run out yet and doesnt until 2/28/2012 so Im guessing that this will be a coverd repair as it say drive axle housing and internal components. I think I will have them rebuild the turbo again to buy me some time and not have to worry about blowing the head gaskets.

Hope everyone had a great weekend too!!

Sarge

Old 08-21-2011, 03:53 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to here you had a great trip , not good to hear about the rear end . Seems awful early to have it going out. Was it leaking fluid?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you think they might put a Powermax in for you? It will solve the turbo problem likely for good. My understanding is that when Ford rebuilds a turbo, they don't replace all the internals included in a GPOPshop kit. You're lucky you still have time left on the warranty!

BTW I only got 8K out of my Ford turbo rebuild before it was leaking and sticking again.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
No fluid leaks and the fluid was full when I checked it before I left, I have a MagTech cover with a dipstick so its easy, ealier this year I had a ABS light while towing and the rear speed sensor was faulty, there wasnt any metal stuck to the sensor so I didnt think anything of it.

Last year however the pinion seal was replaced because it was leaking so Im not sure if something happened with that or not, maybe something wa screwed up in there that got missed... not sure. I will udate this thread with the outcome.

If its not a coverd repair for whatever the reason, I may take this opportunity and upgrade to 4.10's, Im not sure if that would be a good move or how much fuel mileage I would loose but with the 285's Im running (considering 315's next time) it may be worth it.

Sarge

Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Im sure they wont install the power maxx for me, but thats ok its a simple bolt on anyway. I think the hardest part of the job is getting the turbo off, but its been on and off so many times that shouldnt be a problem either.

Sarge

Old 08-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Dropped the truck off today, hopefully I will have an update from the dealer in a few days.

Hoping its something easy, also had them look into the schreech from the exhaust, likely the turbo, and the over boosting.

Sarge

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey sarge long time no talk...guess its a good thing lol

Could it be your carrier bearing going out? Just a thought.

I agree with the payments....I like having mine paid off.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sarge, What did you see on the 6.7 forum that turned you off? I don't go there often but didn't see anything really bad!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I was thinking carrier bearing as well only because they did the seal a while aga and I was thinking maybe something didnt get assembled right (crush collar mainly).

As for the 6.7, the whole emissions stuff is alittle scary and that seems to be the big hiccupp, not nec. a manufacturer problem but a customer problem. Adding DEF to the diesel tank and vise versa...very costly and it could happen at anytime. I know that my wife wouldnt pay attention, possibly me as well with the shifts I work and to have a 19k repair on a 60k truck that Im making payments on is SCARY!!!!

Also just pricing my truck to replace it with exactly what I have will cost me right around 55k and whatever I get for trade...the thought of a 800.00 a month truck payment makes my stomach turn.

Then there is the whole thing about modding these trucks, I just cant leave anything alone so Im not sure I could go as far with a 6.7 as I have/will go with my 6.0, and again it runs great, looks great, rides great, and no payments.

I will be out of warranty 2/28/2012, so if it starts to be problem after problem I will have to make a decision, but even if I bullet proof the engine with ARP's a Powermax, and a Bullet Proof Cooler, as well as have to rebuild the trans or replace it I will still be miles ahead money wise that I would be in a 6.7.

Would I love to have a 2011 or 2012 SD with a 6.7....hell yes, and having the permission slip presigned makes it worse for me, cause the wife said if I want it buy it, I just still love my 06. I'm thinking of updating the interior door panals and seats from a 08-10 SD just to change it up.

Im hoping I can keep the 06 for a long time, unless emissions regs force me out of my truck but I dont see that happening atleast around here.

Im in a good situation as well, my truck wont depreciate much more I dont think, its paid for, and if the 6.7 proves its self to be extremly reliable then I could always make the plunge, buisness is good for me as well, so every month I sock away what my truck payment used to be in an account dedicated to repairs/replacement of my current truck, so if it breaks I'll fix it or replace it then.

Sarge

Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The wife said okay and you still dont want it? I cant blame you 800$ a month is crazy!

I have been looking for 08-10 tail gate and tail lights, I think that would look great.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
I was thinking carrier bearing as well only because they did the seal a while aga and I was thinking maybe something didnt get assembled right (crush collar mainly).

As for the 6.7, the whole emissions stuff is alittle scary and that seems to be the big hiccupp, not nec. a manufacturer problem but a customer problem. Adding DEF to the diesel tank and vise versa...very costly and it could happen at anytime. I know that my wife wouldnt pay attention, possibly me as well with the shifts I work and to have a 19k repair on a 60k truck that Im making payments on is SCARY!!!!

Also just pricing my truck to replace it with exactly what I have will cost me right around 55k and whatever I get for trade...the thought of a 800.00 a month truck payment makes my stomach turn.

Then there is the whole thing about modding these trucks, I just cant leave anything alone so Im not sure I could go as far with a 6.7 as I have/will go with my 6.0, and again it runs great, looks great, rides great, and no payments.

I will be out of warranty 2/28/2012, so if it starts to be problem after problem I will have to make a decision, but even if I bullet proof the engine with ARP's a Powermax, and a Bullet Proof Cooler, as well as have to rebuild the trans or replace it I will still be miles ahead money wise that I would be in a 6.7.

Would I love to have a 2011 or 2012 SD with a 6.7....hell yes, and having the permission slip presigned makes it worse for me, cause the wife said if I want it buy it, I just still love my 06. I'm thinking of updating the interior door panals and seats from a 08-10 SD just to change it up.

Im hoping I can keep the 06 for a long time, unless emissions regs force me out of my truck but I dont see that happening atleast around here.

Im in a good situation as well, my truck wont depreciate much more I dont think, its paid for, and if the 6.7 proves its self to be extremly reliable then I could always make the plunge, buisness is good for me as well, so every month I sock away what my truck payment used to be in an account dedicated to repairs/replacement of my current truck, so if it breaks I'll fix it or replace it then.

Sarge
You are making the right decision. There is one other thing to note. The 2006 Superduty looks better than the 2011.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
The wife said okay and you still dont want it? I cant blame you 800$ a month is crazy!

I have been looking for 08-10 tail gate and tail lights, I think that would look great.
I want to do the same mod, and yes the wife says ok, but like I said 800.00 a month is a little steep. I could extend the financing but I dont like to go longer than 36 or 48 months, even at 72 months its well over 600 a month...just not me. I have never had a truck payment over 450 a month and thats where Im comfortable.

So me and the 06 will grow old together and I hope she continues to treat me well.

Sarge

Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
UPDATE

Hey Guys,

Well the storm has put a whoopin on us up here so the truck has been on the back burner. The dealer has addressed my issues however, The rear end was completely rebuilt, for some reason they couldnt isolate the noise and rather than fool around with it they completely rebuilt it.

It has taken longer than it should due to te fact that the parts that had to be orderd wwere comming from CT who was also hit hard so they could ship out and they had to find them from someone else. The dealer was kind enough to offer to put the ruck back together to allow me to take it and move my equipment around, but I made other arrangements and wired up the old faithful 85 K20 with electric brakes.

The turbo is being replaced with a new unit which was comming from out west somewhere so I should have the truck back next week. So I should be able to hold off on the power maxx for a bit and get a winch for my new....wait and I will post another thread on that.

Anyway I hope you all enjoy the long weekend and for all those affected by the storm I hope all is well. I have been working and helping with the clean up efforts up here and my prayers go out to all of those in need.

Sarge

Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Update To The Update

I got the truck back, and the parts list is long. Looks like they replaced all the bearings in the rear end and all seals.

The good news is that the unison ring was so froze up it needed a whole new center section. Here is the parts list for the turbo repair, maybe someone can tell me exactly what these were:

5C3Z-9G489-ACRM
3C3Z6C885-A
PM-2
XL-2

I am assuming that the PM2 and XL 2 are cleaner and lube which is probly why the truck was smoking for a few. Well it definately smells new under the hood so I know they did something.

After the smoke stopped it ran good, glad to have it back. Hopefully this will fix the smoke/fuel smell I had last winter. Didnt smell it on the way home and like I said with the exception of some whitish smoke for a minuite or so things were great.

Maybe now I will try Matts SLR tune since I wont have to worry about the turbo overboosting anytime soon.

Sarge

Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first item is the turbo center section. I'm pretty sure the second item is the unison ring.

Glad you got it fixed. I had the same work done in May 2010 and the smoke was a little alarming at first but eventually went away as the lube burned off.

Be careful on the SLR tune. Once you try it you won't want to go back!

Quick Reply: TRIP UPDATE...some good some bad...