1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Misfiring/no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:50 PM
whallene
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfiring/no spark.

Hello, I have a 2003 ranger with over 200k on it. ran great till few weeks ago. Started bucking and shaking like a misfire. took to advanced to run code. CEL was flashing, and owners manual says that is misfire. Sure enough, they told me misfire code. I changed plugs and wires. no change, I then replaced coil pack. still no improvement. Friend told me to check if plugs are firing. I used a test light to put small hole in spark plug wires near the pack. All but one are sparking. front pass side. the plugs were changed twice. (before and after coil pack replacement). Could it be an injector? wouldn't the wire still spark near pack?
Please help, I'm at a loss now. Also when I changed the plugs, I did it one at a time so not to cross them, and the firing order was also checked at Advanced. so that is good.
Thank you.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:14 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I see you've been busy on this one.

Post All of the trouble code Numbers AAP found, as they can provide good trouble shooting clues. Also post which engine you have

Using an inductive type timing light is a better option in checking the HV secondary plug wires for spark, than puncturing the wires insulation, as that can cause mischief on rainy days, or those wet dewey morning starts.

Did you have the new coilpack bench checked, before leaving the store???? Same for the plug wires, were they checked for continuity & resistance range before leaving the store???? I know they're new, but I've seen plenty of bad new parts right out of the box!!!

All that said, I'm a little perplexed by your coilpack spark test results. Seeing as how the coilpack fires the plugs in pairs, it would be unusual for just one plug wire, close to the coilpack, not to have spark.
So another reason to post All of the trouble code Numbers & which engine you have & if any of the new parts were checked before use.

I suppose it could be a B+ feed wire problem to one of the coils primary winding, or a computer primary ground wire problem, with whichever coil is causing the mischief. So at KOEO, check for B+ at the coilpack electrical connector, for the suspect coil primary connection.
If thats ok, with your multimeter on the 20 vdc range, check between the coilpack electrical connector primary B+ & ground wire, for a pulsing primary ground, when the engine is cranked. If you don't get an indication that the computer is ground switching the troubled coil in the pack, look to wiring, electrical pin/socket fit problems, or a bad computer ground switching driver.

More thoughts for pondering, let us know what you find.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:31 PM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE. This is a great site to find out how to solve problems with your ranger. Always be sure to include engine information, whether 4 or six cylinder and if a 6, is it the 3.0 or 4.0 displacement. That can help us a lot in identifying the probable cause and solution to your problem.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
whallene
New User
Sorry about forgetting engine size. I have the 4.0 V-6. And no I didn't have the coil or wires bench tested. But reading your reply thinking might be in the connector or ground. Seeing as same problem with 2 coils and 2 wires and 3 sets of plugs.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
From our "Tech Info" thread atop this forum, is a pictorial of our "waste spark' ignition system. Ford DIS/EDIS "Waste Spark" Ignition System
Would be helpful to know which plug numbers are giving problems.

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Rackster
Senior User
Big Guns working a problem

Whallene,

You've got two top FTE resources working your problem. Welcome to the site!

Kevin