General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Can you tell me about New Jersey?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 01:21 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at a possible aerospace job in Newark, New Jersey. Can anyone tell me about this city and state? I currently live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and am very fond of living in this small town type community that has more open prairies and outdoors than there are paved streets and concrete. I moved here from the hussle and bussle of the D.C. area five years ago and love it. Is Jersey a giant overpopulated city? How's the crime rate? How are the auto inspection(c02 monitoring) laws? I drive a 78 f150 daily and don't want to sit in stop and go traffic for a couple of hours each day. I've never been past Baltimore, so I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me about that area?

thanks,
-Ron

Old 04-02-2003, 03:28 PM
NRAJOE
Thumbs down Can you tell me about New Jersey?

"Joisey" is one of the most restrictive states on guns in the nation! I'd think twice if I was you!

Old 04-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Blcklightning
Freshman User

I live in Jersey and live in an area that is pretty rural. Of course it's most likely not as rural as the area your coming from, but it's not horrible. We have 11 acres of land which are mostly fields for our sheep. There are many other farms in our area with lots of land. Our township itself is on the rural side, but bordering townships are getting increaseingly populated.

~Is Jersey a giant overpopulated city?
It's really not. There are a lot of rural areas in NJ that most people that drive through (to NYC) never get to see (My area for example). NJ tends to get a bad reputation because nobody ever travels through the rural areas and all they end up seeing are the big cities like Trenton (Capital) and Newark.

As for the cities in NJ like Newark, they can be pretty bad, but i think, having been to many cities across the states, that basically all cities have their bad areas and their good areas. Some just might have more bad than good.

I would have to say that if your thinking about taking the job you should come visit Jersey and check out the areas outside of Newark. I live probably about an hour or so from Newark and about 45 minutes from Trenton. It also tends to take about an hour and a half to get to NYC, and about the same for Philadelphia. If you didn't mind traveling a little to get to work (an hour or so), you could live in a more rural area, but still work in Newark.

I hope this helped. I know there's a bunch of other Ford truck owners on here that could tell you more about their areas.

Old 04-02-2003, 04:19 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What little I've seen of Newark reminded exactly of Archie Bunker's neighborhood...dilapidated housing and tiny, narrow streets. The traffic is near standstill on weekends and the crime rate is, well, fugetaboutit! You can't use the beaches unless you pay or have 'beach tags'. There are no left hand turn lanes in NJ only these idiotic 'jug-handles' where you go right to make a left. They won't even let you pump your own gas in NJ....union rules. If they find out you like trucks, FTE and vote Repubican, you'll likely wind up meeting Jimmy Hoffa.

On the plus side, the Italian food is excellent and the grocery stores stock more varieties of cheese than any other place I've seen.

Last edited by aerocolorado; 04-02-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:40 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by aerocolorado
On the plus side, the Italian food is excellent and the grocery stores stock more varieties of cheese than any other place I've seen.
Good enough for me- I'm movin' to Jersey!!

Old 04-02-2003, 05:44 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

yo,
We're from Southern rural NJ which is almost as flat as the Tulsa area (been there a few times on Navy business); however newark is a major city with the major city issues. Try the suburbs.
"How are the auto inspection(c02 monitoring) laws?" - very strict! from emissions to horn, wipers, lights, etc. The state inspection is free but run by a contractor; some stations have goof ball contractors that are over-agressive; such as raising hoods, to "look for aftermarket equipt. such as free flow intakes and headers"; others are reasonable. Your truck should pass as long as the engine is ok and doesn't smoke and pump/cat wasn't removed.
Taxes are high in some areas as well as auto insurance (esp the cities which could now be highest in nation)
Homes...search here (Essex County):
http://www.nj.com/homesforsale

Old 04-02-2003, 06:39 PM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

You are going to hate it. Crime, Insurance, traffic, housing, you name it.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:01 PM
Franklin3
Senior User

Arron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton there.

Old 04-02-2003, 09:42 PM
bolanrox
Senior User

lived in NJ for most of my like.. Been called hte armpit of nj, and on the parkway.. well its probably right.

No Newark isn't the nicest section, Northern Nj has to offer but its not all bad...
Granted we probably have the highest auto insurance around.. but you're a quick hop from NYC...

Old 04-02-2003, 10:55 PM
amwxx
Senior User

newark, haha, what a crappy town. Its known for its crappieness.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:02 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Thumbs down Can you tell me about New Jersey?

I believe that God hates New Jersey. I second the comment about "Archie Bunker's Neighborhood" - just crappy, dilapitated housing, rural areas, concrete deserts. Sorta like a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Also, it may be a coincidence, but EVERYONE I've EVER met from New Jersey has been an insufferable loudmouth. Being super-loud and having that grating accent makes you appear to be dumb as a bag of hammers. Just a heads up.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

XXL

Old 04-03-2003, 07:41 AM
AOGDEN
Senior User

Do you know why people from New York City are always in bad moods ??????

Because the "light at the end of the tunnel" is New Jersey.

J/K I've only visited Jersey and it seemed allright, but I really don't think I would like to live there.

Old 04-03-2003, 10:02 AM
Waxy
Postmaster

Originally posted by BigMattXXL

Also, it may be a coincidence, but EVERYONE I've EVER met from New Jersey has been an insufferable loudmouth. Being super-loud and having that grating accent makes you appear to be dumb as a bag of hammers. Just a heads up.
Hmmmmmm, I think haroutd is from New Jersey.

Putting my touque on and running back to my igloo now.
(Which is way too close to the truth given the blizzard here right now)

Waxy

Old 04-03-2003, 12:47 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I am from NJ. We have our fair share of loudmouths, but most people here have the civility not to act like immature, offensive individuals. I guess BigMattXXL has met the wrong type. Thanks, Waxy, however, for thinking of me.

Newark is definately not considered one of the finer areas of our state. It is a crowded city -- plain and simple. Crime rates are high, traffic sucks, and it is inhabited by those who are generally considered the "wrong type" of people.

However, there are areas close to Newark from which one can commute that are much, much, nicer. I live in the suburbs of Northeast Jersey -- pretty nice area, in fact. I can get to just about any destination in Manhattan in less than 45 minutes, and Newark in even less. Just be forewarned that gun laws are pretty difficult around here -- you can bring your guns with you, just can't carry them without a small miracle.

You'll have a tough time finding a neighborhood similar to the one you live in now -- even Blcklightning suggested you would have about an hour's commute to live in such an area. Also, our property values are rather high -- not cheap to buy/rent around here. On the other hand, pay scales are higher here than in other areas of the country -- the more $$$ you can make, the higher the area's living costs.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help at all.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:57 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Arrow Can you tell me about New Jersey?

Haroutd-

Just for the record, the "loudmouths" comment wasn't any sort of personal attack. It's just what I've seen. No harm intended.

XXL

Quick Reply: Can you tell me about New Jersey?