6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck Won't Start, Turns Over, Bad Fuel Pump? Air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 AM
supperman2k
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Won't Start, Turns Over, Bad Fuel Pump? Air?

Turn over, cranks fine, but won't even try to start, I can hear the fuel pump going sounds like there might be air in the system, doesn't sound normal that's for sure.

Just over 1/4 tank in the truck right now.

I bled some fuel out of the pump under the driver door by backing off the allan key plug, it came out of there fine. I understand there is a 2 stage filter system.

Let the system charge up again, nothing, just cranking.

How do I bleed off the upper fuel system, or check for air?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
It's a self-bleeding system. Even with a filter change it only takes 3 or 4 key cycles to purge the system.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 AM
supperman2k
Senior User
Unhappy

The truck is at the barn right now, it's going to get dropped off at the house tonight.

I tried cranking it over this morning, I noticed the OIL pressure doesn't register at all.

Last year I had the HPOP, and the VALVE replaced, as well as the EGR DELETE, and a new oil cooler. Do you think the HPOP went again or the valve?

I am not sure how to check for that, I'll hook it up to the Auto Enginuity tool tonight but i'm not sure what im lookin for.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by supperman2k
The truck is at the barn right now, it's going to get dropped off at the house tonight.

I tried cranking it over this morning, I noticed the OIL pressure doesn't register at all.

Last year I had the HPOP, and the VALVE replaced, as well as the EGR DELETE, and a new oil cooler. Do you think the HPOP went again or the valve?

I am not sure how to check for that, I'll hook it up to the Auto Enginuity tool tonight but i'm not sure what im lookin for.
No oil pressure cranking...sometimes it can take a bit for the needle to register cranking however there are a couple of things it can be. LPOP could have taken a dump, STC fitting at the HPOP (if your year model applies--I don't remember), oil filter failure, IPR valve failure.

With AE you need to monitor IPR duty cycle/% cranking, ICP pressure and/or voltage--500 psi min or .85 V min. FICM voltage (again). If you find that your IPR is very high--85% is max-- or your ICP is very low you likely have a HPO leak or your IPR valve might be trashed.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 PM
supperman2k
Senior User
SO the ICP: 9-11 psi
the ICPR is 14.84%

THE crank position sensor came up in the DTC's

I checked, the cps cable was loose, actually barely even clipped on.the metal jacket is rusted, and helped it fall off. I got that back on there securely.

So i plugged it back in cleared the errors. I tried starting it the batteries are really low from yesterday so its on the charger, but there was enough juice to get about 10 seconds worth of cranks, but no go.

I took the top fuel filter off to see if there was fuel in it, would that force me to have to crank it alot more to get fuel into the injectors?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
your ICP is way to low

to start you need a minimum of 500psi

looks like you have HPO problems

what year is your truck

Old 08-17-2011, 11:00 PM
supperman2k
Senior User
the truck is a 2005.
f250
Last year about this time, i had the HPO Pump, and the regulator replaced, as well as the oil cooler.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 PM
supperman2k
Senior User
when cranking the ICP goes way up about 1500.

but the Crank Positiion sensor was not plugged in at all. would that prevent it from starting?

also when you change the fuel filter does it chug alot to get started?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
well your post was confusing you said 9-12 psi ICP

but if it goes to 1500psi then its good

Hope its just that crank sensor
If it wasnt plugged in that would cause a no start

Old 08-17-2011, 11:24 PM
supperman2k
Senior User
sorry when it wasn't cranking that was what it was at, but when I was cranking it spiked and maintained a high value. my bad.

secondly, I took off the second fuel filter front of the engine to see if there was fuel up there, and there was I also bled off a bit from the filter down below could there be air in the system, causing it not to start now?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
the fuel system bleeds itself after you change filters or whatever you just need to cycle the key to KOEO a few times before you start and its good

how was the FICM votage

and FICM sync
did you also check CAM/CRANK sync

aso check the fan wire harness at the fan shroud it chaffes sometime and will cause a no start

any codes

Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 AM
supperman2k
Senior User
no just the CPS sensor was the only one.

and like I said I checked for fuel, so i plugged the CPS sensor it cleared the codes, checked again nothing,

now the batteries are charging, hopefully that is all it is , i'll do the koeo a few times and see if that works.

batteries were pretty much dead from my fiance trying to start it while she was at the barn.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:30 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Originally Posted by supperman2k
I took the top fuel filter off to see if there was fuel in it, would that force me to have to crank it alot more to get fuel into the injectors?
See post #2.

If you are not cycling the key 3-4 times BEFORE cranking as mentioned, you are putting unneeded stress on the injectors.

Running the batteries as low as you describe is significantly increasing your risk of killing the FICM (which might actually be the issue anyway). Tim and Benny both suggested checking FICM voltage and I don't see where you say that you did that. Did you do it (KOEO AND while cranking - and fully charge the batteries first)?

BTW - In one post you said crank sensor, then in another you said CPS (which is cam sensor). Which one was it? Also, a cam sensor is a CMP on a 6.0L and the crank sensor is a CKP - just an FYI.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Low fuel pressure (or no fuel because of air in the system) to the injectors will cause damage to them. Proper fuel flow and pressure actually "cushions" the plunger system as the oil "pushes" the intensifier piston. Ford has said the #1 injector failure cause is low pressure (and air in the system is going to do the same thing as low pressure).

Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM
supperman2k
Senior User
is there a way to bleed the fuel system off manually?

I am getting p2614 codes now.

Quick Reply: Truck Won't Start, Turns Over, Bad Fuel Pump? Air?