1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by das54
nice work! I was wondering what the light gray finish is int he sockets and panel housing. Phosphoric acid perhaps?
Thanks. I have no idea what that finish is.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Wow. Looks like I've driven Betsy 260 miles... but not really. The odometer isn't calibrated.

Name:  Before purchase  21.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  155.7 KB

Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Here are some pics. Do you guys like pics?
Who us? Pictures? What makes you think that.
Great update, I love to see your progress and I'm envious that you can drive it.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
Who us? Pictures? What makes you think that.
Great update, I love to see your progress and I'm envious that you can drive it.
Thanks Joe. You're making great progress on your truck. You'll be driving it before long...

Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya talking to your self Joe? That said 25,720 miles. Or 25,980 on the top one.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Ya talking to your self Joe? That said 25,720 miles. Or 25,980 on the top one.
Yep. The top pic was taken yesterday and the bottom one the day I got the truck. I'm pretty sure that's 260 miles.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
See, that's where I was confused. If the pics were in chronological order, you'd have been driving backwards. LOL

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Here's the final harness. The original wire color was Blue with a Red Stripe, so I marked them accordingly with shrink tubing. I replaced both bulbs with new ones.

Wow Joe, Fantastic work!! Nice job on refurbishing the dash lights!

When I'm putting harnesses like that together I like to take one extra little step. Instead of using the crimp on type terminal as intended I'll take a small punch and push the terminal part out of the blue plastic insulation sleeve. Then I'll add a small piece of heat shrink onto the wires, put the wires into the crimp terminal and actuall solder them instead of crimping them. Then slide the heat shrink over it and shrink in place. When its all said and done it makes for a nice looking termination.

I'm glad you're making progress. Hopefully I have some progress to brag about on my truck soon
Bobby

Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I don't want to high jack ththread but it is related.

Is the heat shrink tubing sufficient for insulating or is it only for waterproofing?

How about using it in house wiring? I got a ceiling light that was original to our 1929 house. It had cloth insulation. It was not too bad in terms of fraying. It has three light sockets. I went to the local lighting supply store but they had no sockets that fit the housing. So today I put heat shrink tubes over the 6 wires to better insulate the cloth covered wire. I also used liquid tape where the wires enter the base of the socket.

Is this OK to do?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
I don't want to high jack ththread but it is related.

Is the heat shrink tubing sufficient for insulating or is it only for waterproofing?

How about using it in house wiring? I got a ceiling light that was original to our 1929 house. It had cloth insulation. It was not too bad in terms of fraying. It has three light sockets. I went to the local lighting supply store but they had no sockets that fit the housing. So today I put heat shrink tubes over the 6 wires to better insulate the cloth covered wire. I also used liquid tape where the wires enter the base of the socket.

Is this OK to do?
As far as I know, heat shrink is non-conductive, so should be fine for use with any wiring.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
See, that's where I was confused. If the pics were in chronological order, you'd have been driving backwards. LOL
I guess I should have put them in the correct chronological order.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Wow Joe, Fantastic work!! Nice job on refurbishing the dash lights!

When I'm putting harnesses like that together I like to take one extra little step. Instead of using the crimp on type terminal as intended I'll take a small punch and push the terminal part out of the blue plastic insulation sleeve. Then I'll add a small piece of heat shrink onto the wires, put the wires into the crimp terminal and actuall solder them instead of crimping them. Then slide the heat shrink over it and shrink in place. When its all said and done it makes for a nice looking termination.

I'm glad you're making progress. Hopefully I have some progress to brag about on my truck soon
Bobby
Thanks Bobby. I have soldered these crimp connectors in the past. But I found when rewiring the truck that I could make really good solid crimps with the tool I have, so I went with that.

But I totally agree with you that a soldered connection will always be better than a crimp connection, provided it's done right.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Joe,
My main reason for doing it is that I didn't like the look of the blue and/or yellow plastic jackets on each termination. It can be a little bit of a pain to push the terminal out of the plastic sleeves, yeah, I know, you can buy them without the insulated jackets but I seem to have a huge supply of the insulated one and I wasn't about to go out and buy any others....LOL. (sometimes its hard to be me.....)

Keep whittling away at it, the truck is coming along nicely
Bobby

Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Joe,
Betsy has come a long way!! She looks great....now for a night drive to check out your work!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by old_dan
Joe,
Betsy has come a long way!! She looks great....now for a night drive to check out your work!
Dan, I don't know how I missed your post but I did, in fact, test my work last weekend.

Our daughter and husband were visiting from VA this past week, and some of their friends were over at our place to see them. One of them, Anna, a Marine Corp major out of Camp Pendleton, wanted to see Betsy. She then wanted to go for a ride! Well, of course I had to accommodate our guest... It was dark, so I used the headlights for a change (I don't drive Betsy at night often). We just took a spin around the block, but everything worked as it should.

Anna convinced her husband that he also needed to go for a ride. He was not nearly as excited as she, but told me he'd like to someday get an old truck and rebuild it for his daughter (she's now 3 years old). He wants a Chevy, but I have a while to work on him.

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project