1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'51 F4 project

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:58 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Joe, any progress is good......I haven't been able to lay a finger on my COE for a month it seems.

No heat here, just SMOKE (forest fires). Very miserable to work in......

Keep the updates coming...

Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I agree Scott. I had wanted to work on the truck both days this weekend, but my bride got us tickets for a brew fest in Anaheim yesterday, so I HAD to go taste beers...
So that just left today for the wheel cylinders. I'm happy that I got two installed. And I've had the other two drums off, so I know they'll be easier to work with when I do get around to working on it again.

It just seems to drag on and on. I started working on the brakes in June... If I had one whole weekend to work on them, I think I could finish that part.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Got some more done on the brakes today. All wheel cylinders are in, all brake lines and hoses are done except for the master cylinder.

I cross-threaded a line going to the Master Cylinder Outlet Block and had to order an new one. .

So I think all I have left to finish this brake job after 3 1/2 months is the MCOB and bleeding the brakes.

Here's a few pics for my (and hopefully, your) enjoyment.

The right front with new cylinder. I hadn't installed the hose when I took the shot.

The right rear connection to the new cylinder with the new line.

The left rear connection to the new cylinder with new line.

The new rear hose and new rear lines.

Once again, I got too hot to continue. But I'm off next week for a few days, so hopefully will have the brakes finished and update then.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:41 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Almost there!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work Joe!!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lookin real good! Another build I haven't seen (myself) in a while. You've made leaps and bounds! Looks like it'll be on the road here shortly! Kepp it up, it's well worth the battle.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Almost ready to take her for a drive, right?

And where did you get that chromed glove box/ash tray etc? Did you have that done?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Thanks guys! Yes she's almost ready for that first test drive. You know, the one where you find all the other things that need fixing. And I am SO looking forward to it! I mean, that's when you'll get the vroom vroom video for the "Through the Windshield" thread...

Scott, the chrome was done before I got the truck. Actually, quite a while before from the looks of it. But I like it and I think I'm going to leave it even when I finally get her painted.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
I got the brakes bled this morning with the help of my loving wife. Afterwards, I jumped in the cab to test them... the pedal went to the floor.

I crawled under to see what I could see, and the master cylinder is leaking out the front.

So, I guess either I did something wrong with the rebuild kit, or the m/c is shot.

Either way, I'm really bummed out.

Any ideas?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
I got the brakes bled this morning with the help of my loving wife. Afterwards, I jumped in the cab to test them... the pedal went to the floor.

I crawled under to see what I could see, and the master cylinder is leaking out the front.

So, I guess either I did something wrong with the rebuild kit, or the m/c is shot.

Either way, I'm really bummed out.

Any ideas?
Bummer. Recheck your work. Look at the cylinder bore closely for pits or cracks. Did you get the correct size kit to match the bore? Piston in the right way? Did you hone the cylinder?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts
JRJ,

Stock cylinder for your F4 is 1 1/4 Bore. This may be redundant, but here is an exploded view:

If you do need a new cylinder -
NAPA: NMC M4572
Macs Auto Parts: 91T-2140
C&G Ford: 91T-2140
Rock Auto: has many flavors

Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Betsy's maiden voyage!!! VROOM VROOM

I didn't sleep well last night wondering what was wrong with the master cylinder. I found one on RockAuto for $35. But I decided to see if I could fix this one. Before dawn, I got out my spotlight and went to work. I had the m/c removed as the sun was coming up.

When I took it apart, I found the cause of the leak. I had assembled it in the correct order, as I had used the drawing from the Shop Manual like the one you posted bmoran4. But somehow, the primary cup was destroyed. Half of it was flipped backward and the rubber was separated from the center metal ring. I have to assume it was because the m/c was void of all fluid, having sat for who knows how long with nothing in it.

Being the pack rat that I am, I had saved the old parts from the rebuild. I decided to try the original primary cup, as it looked to be in great condition after I cleaned it.

I put it back together, and this time, I added fluid and tested it to see if it was going to leak. Solid as a rock!

So I put it back in the truck, bled the brakes again and this time I have a good solid pedal that goes about halfway to the floor.

I took it down the block for a test drive. The FIRST TIME I'VE DRIVEN THIS TRUCK!!! You can tell by the grinding gears...

I edited the video to eliminate the lapse while I was turning around at the end of the block. That's why the Ram appears out of nowhere. And the noisy fan in my garage can be heard at the beginning.

Now, for some reason, I can't post a video... frustrating.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 548 Likes on 398 Posts
Here ya go JRJ - just use the IMG code provided by photobucket and then all that has to be done is a click to play:

Nice drive by the way! Now, where is your Through the Windshild post?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bmoran4
Here ya go JRJ - just use the IMG code provided by photobucket and then all that has to be done is a click to play like so:

Nice drive by the way! Now, where is your Through the Windshild post?
I've posted videos in my thread before. For some reason, I'm unable to get them to show in the post. I tried all the forms available in Photobucket, but none will post for me. I don't know why not.

I will have to have someone ride shotgun to take the Through the Windshield pics or video, as I have my hands full just driving Betsy.

And thanks for posting the link for me. I wasn't able to do that either. I tried after I found I couldn't post directly into the thread.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Joe,
It runs & Stops! Woohoo! Looks like you washed it for the video too!
What's with all the grinding of the gears? One might think you have forgotten how to drive stick after all this time.

It sounds great!

Ben in Austin

Quick Reply: '51 F4 project