Sponsored by: Moser

cylinder head trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 AM
autochefc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cylinder head trouble

I just bought a 1974 360 4x4 f100 and i have been geting it road worthly well when i when to give its first oil change the oil pan was full of water and some oil abouta quart of water came out and then maybe about 4 quarts of oil and the oil filter was full of water with a little rust in it but i have driven it around the block a few times and never saw any sighns of milky oil so could the problume be somthing other than the cylinder heads?

if not are there other engines that have compatable heads with a 360 if i cant find any I an in helena Mt and some time used parts and new are hard to find. andy ideas would be great because this is a relay fun truck to drive!!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Mauch1
Senior User
Well, water could be coming from a number of things really, heads, intake or block. any one of them could be cracked or something may not be seated right or there could be a bad gasket somewhere. the 360 comes from the FE family and im not 100% sure but i think any heads from the same family will fit(352, 360, 390, 428). You might have to replace the springs and stuff but i think they all will work.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
autochefc
Junior User
water in oil

could water get in the oil from a bad seal between the exhaust and the exhaust manifold?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Mauch1
Senior User
So, are we talking coolant or actual water from outside? because really, if its water from outside, i wouldnt see how that could get in at all unless you drive it through water and its somehow getting in around the oil pan area (gasket, drain plug, dipstick) or around the timing chain cover. I wouldnt think it could get in around the exhaust either.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:36 PM
400 .040over
Senior User
how long did truck sit before u bought it ?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
autochefc
Junior User
I was told that is had been in the drive way a year but he has driven it around the block here and there it started right up and did not look like it hadent been in and auto cacoon but looks can always be deceiving the water that was in the oil pan did not have coolant mixed with it eather is it posable that the oil pump was bad and did not pump water through the engine causing milky oil?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I believe you're jumping to a cylinder head problem with no proof, just speculation. Drive the truck with the fresh oil, monitor it closely and see what happens. Perhaps some kids decided the truck 'needed servicing'. It has happened. No coolant with the oil pan water is a good sign. I am assuming it gets cold enough there that the cooling system would have had antifreeze in it. The oil pump does not pump water through the block. That is the job of the water pump. If the oil pump was bad you would be hearing bad noises and have little or no oil pressure.
Tip: Kinda hard to read and understand your sentence structure.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM
Mauch1
Senior User
Yeah, i agree with ray, just put fresh oil back in it, drive it and watch it. Its really strange that you would have that much water in there and it probably had assistance getting there so i think you should be alright.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 PM
autochefc
Junior User
Sorry about the sentence structure but I have bee crazy busy at work and just wanted to past back quick. You guys have been great. As for the oil pump thing I totally understand that the water pump sends water through the engine and the oil pump is for oil. But what I was unable to convey in my first post was I was wondering if the water got in to oil pan some how and the oil pump is busted so water in the oil pan never got pumped through the engine. But I think I will do some more looking and if every thing looks good I am going to take both of your ad vice and put oil back in it and just watch it. Thanks

Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
autochefc
Junior User
Ok guys I pulled the oil pan tonight and looks like there is a long spindle (or it used to be hex head shape ) from the engine in to the oil pump and this rod has been twisted in two with some good torque. Which I am assuming makes the oil pump inoperable if the rod is busted? So this could be the reason the oil was never milky. But I am still left with the question of where this water came from? Tomorrow I will be pulling the valve covers to examine the heads and intake manifold. Just a side note is there anything I should replace besides the oil pump while I have the oil pan off? Thanks for all your help

Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 AM
jsdonaldson
Freshman User
Hey its good to another Montanan on here! I'm from the huge town of Manhattan, MT. I have a 75' F150 with a 360. I've been working on fixing her up. If u ever need any help or want to buy/sell/swap parts or BS a little shoot me a message and i'll give u my number. one day when ur in the bozeman area u can drop by and see my old pile;-)

Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 AM
mcmavv
Freshman User
have we

established whether 390 heads are the same as 360 heads? or is there a diff in chambers.thanks

Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If the drive to the oil pump was 'busted' you probably have bearing damage if the engine was run that way very much. An engine without oil pressure is short lived. Possibly the water in the pan froze and locked the pump. Yes, pull some bearing caps and see what you have. I would be more concern with the lower end condition than with the heads at this point.
The water intrusion is of course, still a big question. Was there antifreeze in the truck? Or is the block or heads cracked.
Wishing you the best in what you find.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Mauch1
Senior User
Originally Posted by mcmavv
established whether 390 heads are the same as 360 heads? or is there a diff in chambers.thanks

As far as i know they are the same heads. The only differance between a 360 and a 390 (that im aware of) is the stroke. Maybe different valve springs?

Old 08-12-2011, 01:39 PM
73f250highboy
Posting Guru
I agree with raytasch. It sounds like the water froze up the oil pump and that you probably have bearing damage

Quick Reply: cylinder head trouble