Print Wikipost

Tragic Excursion accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger 5
Not wearing seatbelts isn't a choice it's just ignorant and selfish.

That very same thing can be said for every single person riding a motorcycle. Totally unprotected from ANY vehicle hit.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Yes a certain degree of safety is needed no matter what your are doing whether it be wearing safety glasses when cutting something or wearing gloves while working with sharp objects.
Your argument makes no sense..."certain degree of safety" IS wearing a seatbelt.

But do you dress in full chain mail when you are cutting something because you might slip and cut something other then your hand?
No, I wear gloves, I dont do it bare-handed because I like to complain about government making laws to try to keep me from cutting my own hands off. That argument (set belt laws) is just a cop-out, nothing more.

You can slip, fall, break you neck and die while taking a shower every morning but you still do it.
Sure, you can break your neck in the shower...but the shower is just that, a shower, not a drunken or distracted shower with a few thousand pounds of metal moving at 60mph right for me.

My point is I am not trying to kill myself by not buckling up...
Sre you are, you just don't realize it yet, and by the time you do, you will have your head through your windshield, your steering wheel will have broken all of your ribs and bruised your internal organs, you'll be bleeding out and you'll spend those last few minutes of life gasping for breath thinking to yourself "how could I be so stupid?"

You will NEVER convince of us that have pulled unrestrained people (sorry, bodies) out of a car that it is somehow OK not to wear a seatbelt. No amount of rationalization or complaint about the law makes sense to anyone who thinks like a sane person.

If you think it is "OK" or "cool" to "stick it to the man" or whatever other ridiculous justification you come up with, I guess when someone like me arrives on the scene and sees you broken and bleeding out, you'll just have to understand when we stand over you and say "chalk another one up for Darwin".

I'm unsubscribing from this post, not worth my time to talk sense into people that refuse to think rationally.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Your argument makes no sense..."certain degree of safety" IS wearing a seatbelt.

Getting your hands cut by not wearing gloves is almost a certain when working with sharp metal or the like. Getting in a car accident and dieing because your not wearing your seatbelt is unlikely.

No, I wear gloves, I dont do it bare-handed because I like to complain about government making laws to try to keep me from cutting my own hands off. That argument (set belt laws) is just a cop-out, nothing more.

I don't do it to despise the government. I don't wear a seatbelt because it is uncomfortable, an annoyance, and a nuisance.

Sure, you can break your neck in the shower...but the shower is just that, a shower, not a drunken or distracted shower with a few thousand pounds of metal moving at 60mph right for me.

You are never distracted while taking a shower? Breaking your neck has the same effect in the shower as in a car crash.

Sre you are, you just don't realize it yet, and by the time you do, you will have your head through your windshield, your steering wheel will have broken all of your ribs and bruised your internal organs, you'll be bleeding out and you'll spend those last few minutes of life gasping for breath thinking to yourself "how could I be so stupid?"

I'll remember this if ever the time comes, but remember this as well when some unfortunate incident happens to you and think to yourself "how could I have been so stupid for doing what I was doing?". No one thinks what they were doing was smart while they are dieing.

You will NEVER convince of us that have pulled unrestrained people (sorry, bodies) out of a car that it is somehow OK not to wear a seatbelt. No amount of rationalization or complaint about the law makes sense to anyone who thinks like a sane person.

Dealing with dead bodies in any situation will make you think everything you are doing is unsafe. Maybe everyone should start wearing helmets while driving vehicles as well to protect them from head trauma. Or getting their head crushed in a roll over because they were wearing their seatbelt holding them upright in their seat while the roof comes down on their head. Maybe convertibles should be illegal as well.

If you think it is "OK" or "cool" to "stick it to the man" or whatever other ridiculous justification you come up with, I guess when someone like me arrives on the scene and sees you broken and bleeding out, you'll just have to understand when we stand over you and say "chalk another one up for Darwin".

Your just repeating your self here for the third time. I don't feel like I am 'sticking it to the man' at all when I am not wearing my seatbelt. I just feel comfortable because there isn't a strap cutting away at my neck or pulling on my gut.

I'm unsubscribing from this post, not worth my time to talk sense into people that refuse to think rationally.

Think rationally? You live in a earthquake zone where a building can fall on you at any second. A rational decision would be to move.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger 5
Excursions are one of the safest rigs on the road.
As long as all four tires are on the ground. As soon as one tire loses contact

with the ground, it's one of the most dangerous vehicles out there!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

OK So the post has gone on a tangent but I'm gonna attempt to cool things...

Snowseeker, what I think some here are trying to say but not finding the words for is this: We like you as a fellow Ex owner and appreciate your contributions to this forum and we consider us all friends. That said, we'd like you to stick around as long as possible for yourself, us and your beautiful daughters. So maybe reconsider wearing seatbelts...for us. We all recognize it is your choice alone.

To the others, arguing over a forum will NEVER convince someone to change their mind or choices. Please respect the differences, even when it hurts to do so. I too disliked body recoveries from my Mountain Rescue days. It is a fact of life, people make choices.

Done with the hijack

Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I can appreciate the concern and every ones point of view towards wearing seatbelts. I agree in a crash it will keep you safer and can save your life. I'm not saying I don't ever wear my belt, there are times when I do use it. Like when traveling threw bigger cities, in bad weather conditions, when your body says he is gonna try something, stuff like that. But I don't use them in town when going to the stores or to get ice cream or something, normally when speed limits are below 35mph. I do make my family buckle up any time we go anywhere.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
I can vouch that Snowseeker lives in a town most of us would call rural