1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMERICAS STRONGEST PICK UP ON TOP GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM
barthel
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
............a bunch of know-nothings doing things that really don't count for much. Sigh... All that hardware, and not a neuron between any of them to rub together to start a fire with.
Finally, someone said it. I have watched the BBC version of TopGear for years, and if nothing else it is entertaining. You don't watch it to learn anything, you watch it to see cool cars and jackass-ery.

The History Channel version is the *******, red headed step child. Nowhere near as entertaining or funny, and ultimately a poor substitute. And the 3 hosts they picked are HORRIBLE.

Rant over!!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 AM
onedcharette
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barthel
Finally, someone said it. I have watched the BBC version of TopGear for years, and if nothing else it is entertaining. You don't watch it to learn anything, you watch it to see cool cars and jackass-ery.

The History Channel version is the *******, red headed step child. Nowhere near as entertaining or funny, and ultimately a poor substitute. And the 3 hosts they picked are HORRIBLE.

Rant over!!
Exactly. I enjoy the BBC version over the US version. It really leaves much to be desired. The hosts may be nice guys however they kinda stink at what they do. Its almost like they are reading a cue card when they speak.

Could i do better... well, no.

im just saying.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
If any of them understand leverage, or traction, or anything, it's not apparent.

Maybe that's intentional. I dunno

Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Actually, come to think of it, that Jaguar vs. Nissan thing I cited, I think that WAS the UK version of Top Gear. It had a British guy doing all the talking

But again, even then, who roasts the tires with a 500+ HP vehicle in a drag-race?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't think they are going to hand 3 new trucks over to those idiots. The show doesn't have that kind of budget. They usually have a $1,000 limit on anything they give them to, uh, "test".

The Alaska test was funny when the one guy lost his house camper.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I watched it and thought it was 100% entertainment. The BBC version is great but the US guys are starting to grow on me. Very unscientific testing that doesn't really account for much so take any opinions with a grain of salt. Still a ton of fun to watch what they do with these vehicles.

I cracked up laughing at the burn out contest! That was some of the funniest truck footage that I've seen in a long time. The Chevy couldn't leave any patch at all, the RAM spun the tires for about 25 ft and the Ford didn't stop smoking the duals. He even turned around and did donuts while the guys were standing in the middle of the circle. They ended the segment with the F450's tires smoking off into the sunset. Great television!

I have to admit that I was shocked the F450 pulled that train. They said it weighed 280,000 lbs. The RAM pulling down the house was pretty fun to watch as well. Took a few hard jerks but it came down eventually. The one-liners between the guys were pretty funny also.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 PM
olderisbetter
New User
It was the F450 that pulled the trains. Not really sure how they knew the train was 280k lbs. since they probably didn't weigh the thing or know the original specs but maybe they did. Either way, the truck pulled it and it did look pretty damn heavy.

It just went to show that American trucks will take a beating far beyond a manufacturers official numbers and claims.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
jd1083
Junior User
Yeah you the know the show isn't very factual when the guy driving the Chevy didn't even know to turn the traction control off before trying to do a burnout. These shows are funny but it's painful at times to watch these guys try and act like they know much of anything about cars/trucks.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jd1083
Yeah you the know the show isn't very factual when the guy driving the Chevy didn't even know to turn the traction control off before trying to do a burnout. These shows are funny but it's painful at times to watch these guys try and act like they know much of anything about cars/trucks.
Yeah, that sort of thing is what cracks me up about that show. Both my wife and I were talking to the TV....'turn off traction control dude..' Funny that he thought to try it in reverse and see how that works.

While watching the show I told my wife...."Ya know honey...best value for the buck might be the Ram with the Cummins. It takes a little bit longer to get the job done, but it eventually gets there and it costs $12k less than the other two...." That's when she told me to sit on the other couch because she was about ready to smack me upside the head for having crazy thoughts.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by olderisbetter
...Not really sure how they knew the train was 280k lbs...
I'm pretty sure the weight of all railroad units is printed right on the side.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gchavez
While watching the show I told my wife...."Ya know honey...best value for the buck might be the Ram with the Cummins. It takes a little bit longer to get the job done, but it eventually gets there and it costs $12k less than the other two...." That's when she told me to sit on the other couch because she was about ready to smack me upside the head for having crazy thoughts.
Now THAT is a great woman!

This is for you

Just watched the episode and laughed like crazy. The scary thing was the "mechanic" telling Tanner to keep cranking the engine. Where'd they dig that guy up?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
The scary thing was the "mechanic" telling Tanner to keep cranking the engine.
And between the two of them, they couldn't figure out it hydrolocked?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
I'm pretty sure the weight of all railroad units is printed right on the side.
Yes, and the rolling resistance of steel wheels on a steel track is actually quite low. It doesn't surprise me at all that the truck would be able to pull that. The other day, someone posted a video of a Ranger pulling a steam locomotive.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Hondaonda
Senior User
Just a follow up the Truck used was a 2011 - F450

I had chance talked to a Sr. Manager at ford by chance he has a Boat insured with the company I work for. He said the truck is in LA right now and he was over the project and its getting fixed from all the issues they caused. The train weighed 88k pounds according to him and they smoked the tires after 10 min, so after that they were running on bad tires. He said makes for great TV but thats about it.

Also on aside note he said he was very displeased about the treatment of the truck.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 PM
FoxNotch
Tuned
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Yes, and the rolling resistance of steel wheels on a steel track is actually quite low. It doesn't surprise me at all that the truck would be able to pull that. The other day, someone posted a video of a Ranger pulling a steam locomotive.
+1. It's actually incredible how easily trains move.

Quick Reply: AMERICAS STRONGEST PICK UP ON TOP GEAR