6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Matching a turbo with new nozzles

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 340 Likes on 211 Posts
Matching a turbo with new nozzles

Hello,

I am tearing my truck apart (studs/oil cooler)to upgrade the turbo with a GT3788VA. I seem to have a few troubles with my sticks currently and am wondering if I decided to upgrade, what is a good matched set to go with along with the new turbo upgrade. From what I understand, the stock nozzles are 140cc detuned to 125cc.......maybe I am incorrect. I hear that upgrading nozzles with this new turbo, along with MATT's tuning, is the best way to take advantage of the new turbo . I tow very heavy at times and and want to match everything with the stock IC setup I have and obviously not melt my truck in the meantine. Any ideas or comments are welcomed.

PS the tear apart wont be for a few months...
Thanks
Joe

Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock injectors are 135, and with tuning they are still a match for the powermax.

just some extra info, On stock inj and turbo using innnovatives street tune, egr cooler block, deletepipes, towing 8,000lbs-10,000lbs I have never passed 1,400* under 3,000 feet.

how much lbs do you tow?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Stock nozzles are capable of flowing 155 cc's but the injectors themselves have to be modified internally for the barrel to hold the volume. Simply replacing the nozzles might get the fuel out quicker but you won't get more fuel. You will get damaged injectors though.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:56 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
npccpartsman is right.....about the injectors.....

To the OP...I've been down this road...the stock sticks worked fine with tuning....but whoa! boy did the 155's make a difference...I bet it would be even more so with 190's....

That turbo works with stock sticks just fine but to truly unleash all its glory needs more fuel....

I went 155's because I still use my truck to tow heavy...sometimes over 15k.... and my EGT's are just fine with the right tune...

Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
JESTER......

What setup do you have (turbo, injectors, tuning) and where did you get your injectors?

What type of EGT's are you seeing under the most extremes?

It sounds to me that we tow about the same. I understand that the stock injector will work great, but a heavier flowing injector would flow better and without straining the injector itself. I have a few questions:

-with the above statement....am I correct?

-is a regulated return necessary?

-where and from whom do I get nozzles?

Any other opinios are welcomed.

Thanks

Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
I bought OEM re-man injectors and did the work myself.......to the same dimensions and tolerances as a standard 155....I cannot disclose who gave me those dimensions...sorry

I use the garret 63mm powermax turbo...03 version

If I'm towing its bout 950-1000 deg's....stuffed to the rug on an off ram or climbing a steep grade...its 1300 deg's...Like above I have never passed 1400...

The only fuel mod's I have done is the blue spring update, and a fuel pressure gauge. other than that its stock. no problems running out of pressure/volume.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by joe blow
JESTER......It sounds to me that we tow about the same. I understand that the stock injector will work great, but a heavier flowing injector would flow better and without straining the injector itself.
The injector isn't under any strain. I'm not sure how to explain it in a way for you to understand. The stock injector has quite a bit left from factory tuning. Simply adding nozzles is a waste of money. Period. Casserly uses stock nozzles on his 155's because he's flowed LOTS of them and they're very adequate. Larger nozzles are just going to make you have worse combustion because the fuel won't have a chance to atomize as well. It will smoke more, run hotter and drive worse.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
interesting stuff. man I have expensive hobbies.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
The injector isn't under any strain. I'm not sure how to explain it in a way for you to understand. The stock injector has quite a bit left from factory tuning. Simply adding nozzles is a waste of money. Period. Casserly uses stock nozzles on his 155's because he's flowed LOTS of them and they're very adequate. Larger nozzles are just going to make you have worse combustion because the fuel won't have a chance to atomize as well. It will smoke more, run hotter and drive worse.
OK...so basically unless I am doing tractor pulls or racing on a strip my driveability will go away...that I dont want.

I think just the addition of the turbo I described will be sufficient...what do you think about that choice?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
mine acts bone azz stock when I am just driving it....dont even notice all the stuff done....least until I stuff it to the rug...

Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

I think the addition of the powermax would be great and PLEASE don't misunderstand me about the sticks. I'm NOT saying don't get bigger injectors, but if you're going to do it then do it right so that you'll really have something. 155's and a powermax is a great combination for daily driving, pulling heavy, AND doing a little hot rodding if you want, but just putting nozzles on is throwing your money away.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I think the addition of the powermax would be great and PLEASE don't misunderstand me about the sticks. I'm NOT saying don't get bigger injectors, but if you're going to do it then do it right so that you'll really have something. 155's and a powermax is a great combination for daily driving, pulling heavy, AND doing a little hot rodding if you want, but just putting nozzles on is throwing your money away.
The statement is confusing to me. You explain that the powermax and 155's are a great choice.....but just to put in nozzles is a waste of money? Not sure what you mean nccpartsman

Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by joe blow
The statement is confusing to me. You explain that the powermax and 155's are a great choice.....but just to put in nozzles is a waste of money? Not sure what you mean nccpartsman
Possibly you are calling the whole injector a nozzle. It is not.

Nozzles--the tips of the injectors where the fuel squirts out. The come basically in 3 different sizes--50% (stock-155's), 75% (175's and 190's) and 100% (205's and larger). Then there is the barrel of the injector that holds the volume of fuel that you want to inject into the cylinder through the nozzle. A stock injector barrel holds ~135 cc's of fuel. To get a bigger volume of fuel the barrel and/or plunger (that pushes the fuel out of the barrel) has to be modified in some form or fashion. Simply putting a larger nozzle on an injector won't get you a bigger injector.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:39 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joe blow- call up warren diesel! he just "rebuilt" a set of stock injectors for a buddy of mine and put new stock nossles on there and made the body of the injector a 155cc. it runs so smooth and egts are great! best part is he only charged 500 for all 8. great guy to deal with and does great work!!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Man oh man i learn something new all the time. i thouht the whole injector was replaced......never knew they could be modified!? that is goodnews. rdunagan.....does he have a website or number

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Matching a turbo with new nozzles