1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Factory options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
Normally you would be correct, but he has a 1980. The first year for Power windows and door locks was 1981.
Then issues with the doors...

4: The doors will have to have holes drilled into the top of them for the lock rods.
5: Door panels would need to be replaced. Slide Locks and mechanisims removed and swapped with the more convensional lock mechanisims etc...
6: Rubber Conduits, and holes will need to be drilled for the wires between the doors and the cab.
I never even realized power windows and locks were not an option in 1980. That explains why they don't show up in the 1980 brochure!

As for drilling the holes in the doors, that's only needed if he doesn't have a radio with door speakers.

I did the 1981-1986 door lock mechanism swap on my F100, and it wasn't near as hard as it seems. Technically you can make the 1980 mechanisms work like the 1981+, but lock will be up and unlocked will be down. I advise just to swap the mechanisms.lol.

Hey 81_Explorer, have you added what month/year the slide locks stopped? I think it would be good to have it in here along with the other dates.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
Light Group: Lights in Glove Box, Light in Ash Tray, Lights under the dash (these are absolutely awesome!), dome lamp with map lights, cargo light, headlamp on warning buzzer, and underhood light.
I agree with you when you say the lights under the dash are "absolutely awesome!" They certainly are! I was messing around in my truck one day and noticed a small blackened bulb under my dashboard on the passenger's side. I looked on the other side and saw another. These never came on since I had my truck, so I never knew I had them. I replaced all of them, and WOW how my interior lit up!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by LARIAT 85
I agree with you when you say the lights under the dash are "absolutely awesome!" They certainly are! I was messing around in my truck one day and noticed a small blackened bulb under my dashboard on the passenger's side. I looked on the other side and saw another. These never came on since I had my truck, so I never knew I had them. I replaced all of them, and WOW how my interior lit up!
I too had no idea what they were when I saw them on the bottom of my new dash. When I got the dash installed, I looked in my 1980 brochure to see what they could be, and when I saw under dash lights under the light group, I bought some bulbs and hooked up the harness and was instantly amazed. I still don't understand why, but they are definitely cool to have.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM
1980 Ford F-250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do you get the brochure? Sounds like something that would be nice to have!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:35 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey 81_Explorer, have you added what month/year the slide locks stopped? I think it would be good to have it in here along with the other dates.
1980-1981 had Slide locks untill a production date of 12/80.

1981 From 12/80 to 3/81, had black hexagon headed lock ***** at the top of the doors.

1981-1986 from 3/81 had chrome headed "slick *****" at the top of the door panels.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 1980 Ford F-250
Where do you get the brochure? Sounds like something that would be nice to have!
You can find them on Ebay all the time. Luckily the 1980 brochures are either reproduced somehow, or were mass produced in 1980.

1980 ford pickup brochure | eBay

Old 07-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
1980-1981 had Slide locks untill a production date of 12/80.

1981 From 12/80 to 3/81, had black hexagon headed lock ***** at the top of the doors.

1981-1986 from 3/81 had chrome headed "slick *****" at the top of the door panels.
Interesting. Those black hexagon headed lock ***** were horrible, they just screamed "open me with a rigged contraption."

I put the chrome "can't use tools on me" ***** on the F100. They go better with the door panel chrome trim.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I too had no idea what they were when I saw them on the bottom of my new dash. When I got the dash installed, I looked in my 1980 brochure to see what they could be, and when I saw under dash lights under the light group, I bought some bulbs and hooked up the harness and was instantly amazed. I still don't understand why, but they are definitely cool to have.
They are cool most of the time, but their coolness decreases if/when you have to replace the headlight switch. Then they are just in the way!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Galendor
They are cool most of the time, but their coolness decreases if/when you have to replace the headlight switch. Then they are just in the way!
I think the headlight switch is a pain to replace if it has the under dash lights or not.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

I think the headlight switch is a pain to replace if it has the under dash lights or not.
Agreed! What a pain, straining twisted hand and blind groping. Time for ctubutis to lecture on proper dash removal...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Agreed! What a pain, straining twisted hand and blind groping. Time for ctubutis to lecture on proper dash removal...
Removing the dash pad makes easier access, but they're so dang flimsy that they break all too well. Of course, if it's already broken, oh well.lol. Mine is absolutely perfect except for a crack in the speaker grille, so removing mine is absolutely not an option.

As for proper dash removal, that made me lol. The only proper way is to keep from breaking stuff. Oh and PB Blaster is nice too, the screws and dash frame tend to rust out.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Removing the dash pad makes easier access, but they're so dang flimsy that they break all too well. Of course, if it's already broken, oh well.lol. Mine is absolutely perfect except for a crack in the speaker grille, so removing mine is absolutely not an option.

As for proper dash removal, that made me lol. The only proper way is to keep from breaking stuff. Oh and PB Blaster is nice too, the screws and dash frame tend to rust out.
Yep, its kind of like the hippocratic oath - do no harm! In any repair, my worst experiences are when I do more harm than good. Unfortunately that seems to often be the case. The other day I went to remove a dead moth from my overhead light and the external lens cracked when I compressed it to remove it. Sigh. I would have preferred keeping the dead moth to a cracked lens.

Among these factory options, I would like to see what the sliding spare tire assembly is. I picture in my mind some kind of system that delivers the spare tire to you on runners.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Yep, its kind of like the hippocratic oath - do no harm! In any repair, my worst experiences are when I do more harm than good. Unfortunately that seems to often be the case. The other day I went to remove a dead moth from my overhead light and the external lens cracked when I compressed it to remove it. Sigh. I would have preferred keeping the dead moth to a cracked lens.

Among these factory options, I would like to see what the sliding spare tire assembly is. I picture in my mind some kind of system that delivers the spare tire to you on runners.
Do you have the base dome light without map lights? I have a spare lens or two for the base dome light.

As for the slide out spare tire carrier, I believe it is just an arm that slides out with the tire on it.

Here's a pic from the 1976 brochure. Look at the very bottom and you'll see the tire on the arm.

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/76fp/bilder/9.jpg

Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

I have the dome light plus separate map lights on either side of the assembly...

Great link to options - now I understand the slide-out spare tire carrier better, looks like it is a slotted arrangement that lets you pull the rear bolt towards you. My favorite is the "concealed spare tire and wheel in right side of F350..." - awsome!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
I have the dome light plus separate map lights on either side of the assembly...

Great link to options - now I understand the slide-out spare tire carrier better, looks like it is a slotted arrangement that lets you pull the rear bolt towards you. My favorite is the "concealed spare tire and wheel in right side of F350..." - awsome!
I see. I don't think I have any of those any more.

The bed side spare tire carrier is pretty interesting isn't it?

Quick Reply: Factory options?