Sponsored by: Moser

XLT or Lariat.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
SuperDutyFiend
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XLT or Lariat.

I started a thread earlier this week about FX2 and FX4. And a couple guys gave their opinions on each one.

Now it's XLT and Lariat. I'm debating about all the models, well besides plat an HD, and I don't know which between these two are worth my purchase.

I want 4x4. Is leather better than cloth? XLT with all the bells is cheaper than a lariat.

You guys got anything?

Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have kids or dogs? Leather is easier to clean.

Do you plan on keeping it or trading it/selling it later on? Leather is usually better for resale...sometimes. Leather is usually more durable too, but more expensive to "repair" if you tear it.

Do you live in a really cold climate? Leather can be had with heated seats.

Do you live in a really hot climate? Cloth doesn't "get hot" like leather does...but you can get the Lariat with heated AND COOLED seats...yes A/C for your backside

I love leather personally, but cloth is a decent option. Cloth will put off more static electricity, so you have that to consider as well. Your wife or g/f (if that applies) may appreciate leather also for that reason...static means fuzzy hair!

Everyone has their opinions. I won't have cloth...leather for the win!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM
FordTruckMan2004
Junior User
I wish they would bring the Leather option back to the XLT trim. Im not a fan of the new light colored wood dash and the grille on the Lariat dosent look as good as the XLT IMO.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:18 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I think the lariat is perhaps the best overall value in a 4x4 truck over $40K. I don't like the 2011 Lariat interior. The 2010's were very nice looking and I hope the 2012's regain their appeal.

I don't like the standard Lariat wheels, too hard to clean. I don't like the Chrome clads, too easy to damage.

I love the Lariat grill and the overall look of the Lariats. But I bought an XLT without the chrome package, cloth seats and minimal equipment. I'm still in a state of marital bliss and I would do it all over again.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my '11 Lariat interior. I look at it this way, yes it is more expensive. But it will have more value at trade-in or when reselling, and be more desirable. Plus, you get more creature comforts to use while you own it.
I'm not a fan of chrome, so I didn't get the extra chrome. But if you go Lariat, the cooled and heated seats are worth having. I always thought cooled seats were dumb and gimmicky, now I'll have a hard time ever giving them up.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Pale Screw
New User
I went for the XLT. I didn't need all the fancy xtra's of the Lariat. I didn't want the ptm grill and bumpers of the FX4. I really didn't want to spend all the xtra cash on things I didn't want or really need. I can usually add things later if I find I can't live without it.

I'm satisfied with the options on my 2011 5.0 Screw. I have the following: XLT Convenience, Plus, Chrome, & 4x4 OffRoad Package. 5.0L V8, 3.73 ELD. I like the rear power sliding window with defrost. The heated signal mirrors are nice too. The 4.2" LCD screen in the instrument panel is a great addition.

I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. So resale isn't that big of a concern. My last truck was a 2001 4x4 Scab with over 100,000 miles. I got $8,000.00 for trade in to purchase my 2011 Screw. Not bad for a 10yr. old truck

Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
I bought the XLT for a couple reasons - the chrome package front grille looks better, IMO.

You can pay Ford $3k for a GPS that works 1/2 the time or pay Garmin $200 for one that works all the time.

You can buy a seat heater at Wal-Mart for $18.95.

I have a six year old and 1 year old - I scotchguarded my cloth and have had no stains whatsoever... and they spill everything.

Also, for me, I wanted the optional 6th seat. I rarely need it but like Thursday I'm going to pick up the in-laws and my husband, 2 kids, and in-laws can all sit in the truck extremely comfortably. It is nice to have the option of the center console or 6th seat. Plus, with the bench seat, we have that secret compartment ;-) Shhh... the captain chair's ppl don't know about that ;-)

Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Mbostick
New User
We really liked the interior of the Lariat. But I had a set limit of what I wanted to pay a month and how much I was going to borrow, so to get the Lariat with the stuff I wanted in a truck, I'd have to fork over another 3-4 grand for the down payment. I didn't have it when we went shopping, so I went for an XLT. Ironically, since it's going to take 8-20 weeks(depending on whom you talk to, or what you read) I probably could have scraped up the difference.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SuperDutyFiend
I started a thread earlier this week about FX2 and FX4. And a couple guys gave their opinions on each one.

Now it's XLT and Lariat. I'm debating about all the models, well besides plat an HD, and I don't know which between these two are worth my purchase.

I want 4x4. Is leather better than cloth? XLT with all the bells is cheaper than a lariat.

You guys got anything?
Do you like the FX4? You know that you can get it with either cloth or leather, right? You say you want 4x4, and the FX4 is probably the best way to blend items from the XLT and the Lariat. I personally prefer the FX4's interior color scheme over any of the other models, and the painted bumpers. A much more low key, mono toned look, catches my eye.

Just throwing that out there for you. I hope I haven't further muddied the waters.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
My opinion - I don't think you can go wrong! Once you choose F150, you're getting a great truck.

I've found that regionally by me, its hard to find the higher trim levels without also getting chrome packages and 20" rims, which starts making that price climb pretty quick. Not sure how dealers choose what to order for their stock, or even if dealers get a choice, but I'm just noting this observation. Then again I really wanted a 4x4/Crew/ecoboost/6.5 bed version so that made my comparison shopping fairly limited too, as that isn't a very popular configuration by me.

After months (seriously) of overanalyzing this next purchase I decided to order one. FX4 w/leather. Really liked the XLT, but wanted leather because of my dogs. Really liked the lariat but preferred the interior on the FX4. Liked the Raptor grille the best but....in the same ballpark as the Platnuim/HD/King Ranch - just too expensive for me.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
dilas
Tuned
Lariat.... I love the leather interior, easier to clean, especially sliding my butt over on it is easier than the cloth interior. On the older generation, cloth with velour is nicer than the cloth found on newer generation especially with 04-08 F150s in my opinion. I've seen that leather seats wears better than the cloth seats in older F150's. Making such hefty payments month to month gets easier when getting in such upscaled truck and drive with pride.
On the other hand, XLT gives such good overall value minus the whistle and bells you don't need or even use.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Do you have kids or dogs? Leather is easier to clean.

Do you plan on keeping it or trading it/selling it later on? Leather is usually better for resale...sometimes. Leather is usually more durable too, but more expensive to "repair" if you tear it.

Do you live in a really cold climate? Leather can be had with heated seats.

Do you live in a really hot climate? Cloth doesn't "get hot" like leather does...but you can get the Lariat with heated AND COOLED seats...yes A/C for your backside

I love leather personally, but cloth is a decent option. Cloth will put off more static electricity, so you have that to consider as well. Your wife or g/f (if that applies) may appreciate leather also for that reason...static means fuzzy hair!

Everyone has their opinions. I won't have cloth...leather for the win!
I agree with everything above ... except ... given the choice I'd go with cloth.

We have two seasons .. freaking hot and freaking cold. Most of our "nice" cars have leather, and we are constantly either freezing our butts or burning them. One of them even has heated leather, which decided to quit working when it was -20*F ... cold.

if you keep them long enough nearly every option will break at some point, and they rarely get fixed on an "old" car.

So, I vote to save the skin on my legs from 2nd degree burns and frost bite and go for cloth.

but like someone else said, it is up to you and I really dont think you can go wrong. Worst case, you upgrade to leather or downgrade to cloth in the aftermarket.

good luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 PM
SuperDutyFiend
Freshman User
I don't need all the bells and whistles.

Just a damn good truck.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
leather is the way to go, you dont even have to have kids, dogs..ect to make it worth it. hell i've spilled enough pop in my truck all by myself to make it well worth it. then when you add kids into the mix the leather is a hugeeee plus. i only have one truck w/cloth and i'm on the lookout for matching leather seats for it constantly.

comes down to what you really want. sounds like a fx4 may be the best option for you as you can pick and choose.

i really dont understand why they dont offer optional leather in XLTs anymore? that was a great way for people to get what they really want.

i have rambled enough, goodluck with your search!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 AM
adkhunter
Freshman User
I personally like cloth over leather. Like others have said it doesn't get as hot in summer and not as cold in winter. And I always put seat covers on so spilling anything isn't really a concern...just take off the covers and toss them in the washer. Simple.

And if your line of work requires the use of your truck and it's a outdoors (dirty) type job then leather is deffinatly not going to hold up. Im a hunting guide as a profession and I'm in and out of my truck constantly all day and my pants are never clean. You spend a few months rubbing your dirt covered butt across the seat while sliding out of the seat to get out of the truck and just riding in it...leather begins to fade and eventually looks like total crap. Just my personal opinion though!

As for everyone who said leather was better for dogs....my question is why??? I'm sure the hair is easier to clean off but are none of you transporting large dogs around and over 100lbs? I have 3 labs and each of them has torn the leather seats in my sisters Raptor (she's pissed! Lol). To me leather is a no fly zone for dogs. Their nails just shred the leather when they won't sit still and have to jumP back and forth between both sides to stick their head out the windows lol

This is all just my opinion though on cloth vs leather. All other options to a truck are hard to give a good opinion on as I have no clue what your gonna use the truck for and don't know if you like fancy cool options or if your like me and wants some cool options but nothing over the top

Stick with your gut and you'll pick the truck you really want

Quick Reply: XLT or Lariat.