Oil & Lubrication  

should I change fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
85MD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I change fluids?

My truck is a 2004 F150 5.4l Lariat 4x4. I bought it in 2004 and have always had the maintenance performed at the local Ford dealer. I figured it is about time I start doing the routine stuff myself (like my other cars..). Question is, should I stick with all motorcraft fluids like the dealer used or switch? I was going to buy some Amsoil lube for the jeep which can also be used on the truck's u joints and other zirc fittings..

AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis & Equipment Grease, NLGI #2

engine oil: switch to synthetic or stay with a non-synthetic (brand)?

differential lubricant change: maintenance guide says only to change at 150K, should I not worry about it until then? (no leaks) Type?

transmission fluid: I assumed it had been changed already if needed, byt the way, what is 4r100? Looks like thats means a change every 30k

transfer case: book says change at 150K...switch to something else?

Just a couple other questions, anyone use Lucas oil for the tranny? If so, which one. There is one for automatics and another oil (name?) for manual trannys..

Thanks ahead of time..

Paul

Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
85MD
Freshman User
Do my eye deceive me? 5w-20 synthetic blend (owner's manual)? I would of thought the oil would be more like a 5w-40. Am I wrong? Is that what people use in their 2004 F150s with a 5.4 liter engine?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Good idea to get familar with servicing your vehicle.

Use the fluids that are specified in your owners manual. Nothing wrong with Motorcraft fluids, they got the vehicle this far, or other products that say in writing on the container that they are licensed by & meet or exceed Fords specifications, so that they are compatable with the fluid remains they replace, & with the systems composit, plastic, rubber, seals, gaskets & metals they contact & will hold up under the use the vehicle is designed for & for the service period specified.

So be careful if you change the grease type, it's recipe may not be compatable with what's in the vehicle now.

Yup most but Not All of Fords engines have been specified, or back specified on TSB, to be able to use 5W-20 since about the 01-02 time frame. Motorcrafts regular motor oil is a semi-synthetic & they also offer a full Group-3 synthetic if you need to go that way because of severe service, or extended service use. No need to buy them from the local Dealer if you have a Motorcraft distributor, or WalMart close by.

None of Fords specified fluids need a top treat product, as they are fully formulated, unless your changing something like the differential fluid & your owners manual calls for a specified amount of friction modifier be added, like if you have the optional traction lock differential & change it's fluid & it calls for the addition of a specific amount of a friction modifier be added.

Use the specified synthetic lube Ford calls out for any system, so it'll go the distance under the service use it's designed for, or more often than specified changes will be needed, like if we use a mineral oil differential lube, it may be scheduled for change every 30-35k miles, where the synthetic recipe differential lube may have a 100-150K, or lifetime use specified.
So go by your owners manual & service schedule guides, for the specified fluids & their change out times, goverened by the drive cycle service use your putting them through(severe service calls for more frequent changes as shown in your service guide) & leave the tranny fluid & motor oil top treatments on the shelf, they aren't needed.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by 85MD
My truck is a 2004 F150 5.4l Lariat 4x4. I bought it in 2004 and have always had the maintenance performed at the local Ford dealer. I figured it is about time I start doing the routine stuff myself (like my other cars..). Question is, should I stick with all motorcraft fluids like the dealer used or switch? I was going to buy some Amsoil lube for the jeep which can also be used on the truck's u joints and other zirc fittings..

AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis & Equipment Grease, NLGI #2

engine oil: switch to synthetic or stay with a non-synthetic (brand)?

differential lubricant change: maintenance guide says only to change at 150K, should I not worry about it until then? (no leaks) Type?

transmission fluid: I assumed it had been changed already if needed, byt the way, what is 4r100? Looks like thats means a change every 30k

transfer case: book says change at 150K...switch to something else?

Just a couple other questions, anyone use Lucas oil for the tranny? If so, which one. There is one for automatics and another oil (name?) for manual trannys..

Thanks ahead of time..

Paul
I am not a fan of lucas oil products for anything, just never been impressed with anything they make. I have Wally World ATF in my 4R100 and in my mother's 4R70W (merc V) and they both run very well.

Engine oil, why not run MC 5w-20 synthetic blend...pretty cheap at wally world and works well.

Gear oil, do you tow a lot? If so maybe change it every 50k. IMHO Redline and Amsoil make awesome gear lubes.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
85MD
Freshman User
I can stick with the motorcraft fluids. I do have a question though, what is the mc lube recommended for greasing the chassis? I can't find it anywhere.
Paul

Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM
pawpaw
The specified grease/s for the various parts of your vehicle should be listed in the Capacities & Specifications section of your owners manual. You should also be able to find it in the online Motorcraft web site catalogue, just enter your vehicles particulars.

For instance, in my 99 Rangers owners manual, Premium Long Life Grease, Ford P/N XG-1-C, to Fords ESA-M1C75-B spec, is called out for lubing of various chassis & steering parts. If you can't find the Motorcraft recipe locally, other lube mfgr's like Valvolene, ect, make grease to Ford, GM, ect specifications recipe & most autoparts stores carry them.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:59 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do my eye deceive me? 5w-20 synthetic blend (owner's manual)? I would of thought the oil would be more like a 5w-40. Am I wrong? Is that what people use in their 2004 F150s with a 5.4 liter engine?
The 5.4 is a modern ordinary gasoline engine, not a diesel or European exotic, so yes 5W-20 is correct. Ford, Honda and Chrysler have been recommending it for quite a while. GM is sticking with 5W-30 but now requires a full synthetic (GM Dexos spec.) and Toyota has gone to 0W-20 full-syn along with Honda for 2011 models.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
There is no GREASE soec'd for the truck as there is ZERO points to grease its all sealed for life!

BIG NO on the lucas products!!! The trans is a 4R75E and uses only Mercon V same fluid is used in the transfer case and power steering.

Engine oil should be MC 5w20 with a FL820s Filter

Axle lube well thats up to you I change mine around 100k and they could have gone much further .

Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Freaksh0w
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Motorcraft products. I use MC filters on my truck, my brother's 01 Mustang GT and my mom's 05 Mustang GT. I've used Bosch on my truck, had a Fram on it when I got it, and I have used Purolator. None did better than the Motorcraft for zero start up chatter.

On the other hand, I frequent bobistheoilguy and IMO, Pennzoil Platinum is hard to beat in the 5W-20 weight. ESPECIALLY Ford mod motors. It's like they were meant for each other. Go chech out the UOA's of mod motors and it will reassure you 5W-20 protects extremely well, and the best performing 5W-20 I have seen is Pennzoil Platinum.

But, don't take it the wrong way, Motorcraft oil will take your engine to well beyond 200k miles, also.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ford390gashog

BIG NO on the lucas products!!!
+1

Modern automatics are particularly sensitive to lubricant viscosity and frictional properties. Using the exact fluid spec is vital.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 PM
peppy
Postmaster
I use synthetic when ever possible for the extended service, and those very cold mornings in the winter. After more than a hundred thousand miles, the inside of my engine has as much gunk in it as it did when I drove it off the lot new.

As for filters... NAPA filters made by Dana (available at Oriellys as DANA)

Agree.... Lucas or any other additives other than dor the differential are a bad idea.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
85MD
Freshman User
I went ahead and purchased some MC 5w20 oil, also the MC oil filter. Wally world did not have the MC air filter nor did autoz. or adv. auto. Guess I will have to order it online or visit the ford dealer for a hell of a mark up.. Next is to maybe have the injectors cleaned 75K miles and never had it done.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM
pawpaw
I use my local Motorcraft distributor for filters & fluids, his prices usually beat WallyWorld!!!!! Purolator makes a good air filter.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by peppy
I use synthetic when ever possible for the extended service, and those very cold mornings in the winter. After more than a hundred thousand miles, the inside of my engine has as much gunk in it as it did when I drove it off the lot new.
Chevron Delo 400, a Group II+ "conventional" HDEO, kept the always overheating BMW engine clean as new inside after 140,000 miles of extended (6-9000 mile) drain intervals. It doesnt take full synthetic necessarily to keep an engine clean inside. There was not even a trace of yellow varnish, much less hard or soft black deposits.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:18 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
I went ahead and purchased some MC 5w20 oil, also the MC oil filter. Wally world did not have the MC air filter nor did autoz. or adv. auto. Guess I will have to order it online or visit the ford dealer for a hell of a mark up.. Next is to maybe have the injectors cleaned 75K miles and never had it done.
Do you have any fleet prides around? They normally stock baldwin filters...good stuff!

Originally Posted by jimandmandy
Chevron Delo 400, a Group II+ "conventional" HDEO, kept the always overheating BMW engine clean as new inside after 140,000 miles of extended (6-9000 mile) drain intervals. It doesnt take full synthetic necessarily to keep an engine clean inside. There was not even a trace of yellow varnish, much less hard or soft black deposits.
Delo, Delvac, Rotella all make great oil IMHO.

Quick Reply: should I change fluids?