No start, but it does turn over - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

No start, but it does turn over

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
PDXF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No start, but it does turn over

earlier I mentioned how my fuel pump seems to not make any noise now when I turn the key to the on position and how the fuel pump started humming (w/out the key in the ignition) after I accidentally bumped the fuel pump relay. It stopped on it's own, but since that point it hasn't hummed.

I tried replacing the fuel relay, but it didn't make a difference (and the continuity was the same on the new one and the old one...so I, naively maybe, thought it was ok).

Now, a couple days later (and only a few moments of the truck running) it does not start at all. It tries (and drains the battery), but just doesn't start.

I'm thinking it's a fuel pump issue (as in, it's not working).

I'm going to search (in a bit) for some threads here about it, but does anyone have any suggestions re: Fuel pump?

Also, I might have over-adjusted the ignition switch, so now moving the key into the accessory position doesn't turn on the radio. Could maybe having the actuator rod and ignition switch misaligned be a cause for the non-start?

I would guess that's why the accessory position doesn't work, although I can't figure out how that would play a factor in the starting.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
This problem began when you bumped the relay, I have to think the source of the problem is in that general vicinity.

If you have a volt/ohm meter, you can go probing around and measuring the voltages at all the right places, you can also attach the ohm meter to the pump's + and - contacts and see what kind of reading you get (0 ohms = burnt-out motor).

There's probably at least one copy of the wiring diagram posted in the archives someplace, and/or you might check out 81-F-150-Explorer's gallery for one.

But I have to think the problem is at that relay - the relay itself may be fine but the connector and/or wiring may not be.

You also have to consider what a PO may have done to the wiring.

And, something was certainly errantly sensitive enough to respond to your bump, it normally shouldn't be affected by that.

So, something is wrong there.....

You should also adjust your ignition switch so everything works properly. Fix what is known to be wrong, go from there.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:06 AM
PDXF250
Junior User
I am getting correct voltage to one of the relays (the green one. I didn't check the other one yet).

Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
I tried to get a continuity reading from the wire that goes to the oil pressure switch to the fuse, but there isn't any (with key on or off).

Could it be a filter issue maybe? Hopefully tomorrow I can go under the truck to check out the fuel pump issues.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 PM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
If you go measuring ohms at the pump, be sure to first disconnect the wiring harness from it.

To go any further, I'm gonna ask:

What year truck & engine & fuel delivery system & transmission are we talking about here?

This now sounds like a 460 with the Hot Fuel Handling thing but you never said anything outright.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:10 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
If you go measuring ohms at the pump, be sure to first disconnect the wiring harness from it.

To go any further, I'm gonna ask:

What year truck & engine & fuel delivery system & transmission are we talking about here?

This now sounds like a 460 with the Hot Fuel Handling thing but you never said anything outright.
Sorry, I brain farted and thought I had.

It is an 83 F250, with a 460 (carburetor) with a C6 transmission.

ok, dumb question: The pump is fairly easy to spot once you're under the truck, right? I haven't looked under the truck yet, and the manual I have isn't very clear.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Update: still now hum/whirr from the fuel pump, but I did get it started.

I floored the gas pedal, and it stuttered and sputtered, but finally did start and then ran strong. It created a fairly stanky exhaust though (real rich smelling).

I don't know if that changes anything.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 PM
ctubutis
Best I can do

I honestly don't have much ability to help you with this but there are some other guys who know a bit about this system and they may stop by.

A 460 with a carb, but are there one or two pumps? I'm gonna guess one and guess that it's located in the tank (you'd have two if you have two tanks).

Engines with EFI generally have two pumps - the low-pressure variant in the tank(s) and a higher-pressure variant located closer to the engine.

BUT....

Go get this document (this is a zip file containing a 19.2 MB pdf file) and read it, see if it pertains to what you have or not.

http://oldschoolhotrodder.com/downlo...fuel_pumps.zip

BTW that link I got from a previous post here on FTE, was posted by a respected member of this forum (85lebaront2 ):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...estions-3.html

Also, see if this diagram helps you:

Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM
PDXF250
Junior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
I honestly don't have much ability to help you with this but there are some other guys who know a bit about this system and they may stop by.

A 460 with a carb, but are there one or two pumps? I'm gonna guess one and guess that it's located in the tank (you'd have two if you have two tanks).

Engines with EFI generally have two pumps - the low-pressure variant in the tank(s) and a higher-pressure variant located closer to the engine.

BUT....

Go get this document (this is a zip file containing a 19.2 MB pdf file) and read it, see if it pertains to what you have or not.

http://oldschoolhotrodder.com/downlo...fuel_pumps.zip

BTW that link I got from a previous post here on FTE, was posted by a respected member of this forum (85lebaront2 ):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...estions-3.html

Also, see if this diagram helps you:

I printed that picture/diagram off (along with about 5 or 6 other things) last night. Helped a bundle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.