Heading to Florida for vacation

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Heading to Florida for vacation

Just a fun posting I am starting here. There are always so many that have concerns, interested to see what everyone does and how the truck and motor perform.

I have traveled from MD (home) to as far as Arizona via Colorado thru New Mexico a couple of times as well as all up and down the east coast.

Many various loads of what have you. One never knows what is on the trailer or in back.

So here we go.

We are heading down to FL for the last shutle launch and then to Disneyworld and probably so other stuff while we are there.

Taking the 5er of course Truck comes in at about 8260 lbs and close to 14K if I add water (100 gal tank). I think I will travel at about 1/3 tank for now as we plan to stay in a campground on the way there. So should come in with a CGWR of just under 22K...and lets not forget somewheres around 50' total length between truck and 5er.

Route we are taking is the senic avoid the DC beltway and I95 mess. We will head over to I81 and then onto I77 thru the Carolina's and into GA then catch I 95. Sometime after that we will branch off along the coast and end up at the KOA in Mims FL.

This will be just over 900 miles each direction. A 1 1/2 day drive or 15 hours on the road according to mapquest. I plan on averaging 50 mph so it should end taking me 18 hours including fuel stops.

I fully expect it to be hotter than a pistol when we head out of VA. Most I have ever seen for extremes for my truck has been 230F on the water and 220F on the trans. EGT's of 1375 and I have maxed the boost @ 40PSI. Maybe more but the guage only goes to 40

So look for updates!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Here is a picture of truck and trailer for the trip.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Just a fun posting I am starting here. There are always so many that have concerns, interested to see what everyone does and how the truck and motor perform.

I have traveled from MD (home) to as far as Arizona via Colorado thru New Mexico a couple of times as well as all up and down the east coast.

Many various loads of what have you. One never knows what is on the trailer or in back.

So here we go.

We are heading down to FL for the last shutle launch and then to Disneyworld and probably so other stuff while we are there.

Taking the 5er of course Truck comes in at about 8260 lbs and close to 14K if I add water (100 gal tank). I think I will travel at about 1/3 tank for now as we plan to stay in a campground on the way there. So should come in with a CGWR of just under 22K...and lets not forget somewheres around 50' total length between truck and 5er.

Route we are taking is the senic avoid the DC beltway and I95 mess. We will head over to I81 and then onto I77 thru the Carolina's and into GA then catch I 95. Sometime after that we will branch off along the coast and end up at the KOA in Mims FL.

This will be just over 900 miles each direction. A 1 1/2 day drive or 15 hours on the road according to mapquest. I plan on averaging 50 mph so it should end taking me 18 hours including fuel stops.

I fully expect it to be hotter than a pistol when we head out of VA. Most I have ever seen for extremes for my truck has been 230F on the water and 220F on the trans. EGT's of 1375 and I have maxed the boost @ 40PSI. Maybe more but the guage only goes to 40

So look for updates!
Are you camping in Fort Wilderness at Disney?

Steve

Old 07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Scott, you don't use an Oil Temp Gauge?

I just got back from NY trip - 1100 miles -. Worse temps were coming back yesterday down I-81 from Binghamton area. That mountain near Hazelton, PA was the worse on the trip.... temps got up to 225* coolant and about 230* oil. That's a long hill! I never did hear the fan kick in tho.....

Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
We are actually staying along the coast in Mims, FL. About a hour drive into orlando. Don't have to worry so much about the traffic and stuff that way.

Banks I think maybe working on the ability to monitor the oil temp. As of now just everything else under the sun.

Bud I am surprised no fan kick on with 225 on the coolant.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I think you'll like the KOA in Mims...its nice and shady (with trees-lol) and if you get the chance you should try out Ft.Wilderness at Disney, my Niece and her family stay there quite often.
I'm about 45 minutes south of Mims, may be I'll stop by while you are there and say Hi-gotta run to Mims anyway to pick up a piece of furniture we're having refinished.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a good trip, be safe. I'll wave as you turn the corner on the way to 81...lol. That's my intersection. Take lots of pictures for us space nuts that cant make it.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Thanks, I hope it is a good spot for us to stay and go out from there.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay Cool

Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by lakedweller
Stay Cool
Are you kidding? We are gonna sweat our butts off. But that is what we do for the kids.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Are you kidding? We are gonna sweat our butts off. But that is what we do for the kids.
Have great time but I have to tell you we winter in Florida and it's no place for us in the summer . We are still at our home base in Nebraska and it's hot hot hot so I'm not all that sure it's any better here, if it wasn't for a family member going through some major heath problems we would be in the Colorado mountains fishing. But you have to do what your have to do so I hope your kids have a great time.

Denny

Old 07-03-2011, 07:28 AM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you havn't made plans in Northern Va for camping, check out the KOA in Staunton. We stopped there on our way to Raleigh a few weeks ago and it was a very pleasant and perty place to stay.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Thanks for the tip. I want to get in 600 miles first day so I think I will be closer to Charleston, SC before stopping. We have a deadline to meet so we can be there for the launch.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep it between the ditches and pray for a tailwind! Have a good time, we are leaving for Colorado Tuesday, we have to escape the heat here in Central Texas for a couple of weeks. 102+ most everyday since June 1st. I hope the launch goes off as scheduled as the last one was called off a couple of times......Happy Rving!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gearitis
Keep it between the ditches and pray for a tailwind! Have a good time, we are leaving for Colorado Tuesday, we have to escape the heat here in Central Texas for a couple of weeks. 102+ most everyday since June 1st. I hope the launch goes off as scheduled as the last one was called off a couple of times......Happy Rving!
Happy trails to you too.

Quick Reply: Heading to Florida for vacation