Won't Start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Won't Start

Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
hi-jacker
Senior User
hi-jacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Won't Start

Drove my truck yesterday and everything was fine. Tried to start it this morning and it won't. It turns over fine and seems like it almost catches, but just won't start...any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Look in the Tech Folder up top in this forum.... it says READ FIRST! There is a procedure for "NO START".

Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM
hi-jacker
Senior User
The past two times I've filled my tank, the fuel gauge didn't register correctly and showed only about a quarter of a tank. After driving for awhile, it eventually registered correctly. I'm thinking I may have a bad fuel pump.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM
BLADE35
Post Fiend
BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by hi-jacker View Post
The past two times I've filled my tank, the fuel gauge didn't register correctly and showed only about a quarter of a tank. After driving for awhile, it eventually registered correctly. I'm thinking I may have a bad fuel pump.
mine does the same with the fuel gauge sometimes its fairly common and I dont think its causing your no start but I could be wrong

when you cyclew the key to on can you hear the injectors buzz and the fuel pump run????? the fuel pump under the driver door on the frame

have you changed fuel filters in awhile

scan for codes

Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Do you fill the fuel tank with the engine running or the ignition switch left on? If so, it messes with the gauge for a while.....

Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 AM
MJMETHOW
Senior User
MJMETHOW is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry

Normal for fuel gauge to read wrong when the key is on acc.position.Wife turns the radio on when I am filling up just to **** me off. Thinks it funny after putting $75 and its still at halve full mark.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 AM
hi-jacker
Senior User
Thanks to all who tried to help. I was certain it was not a fuel filter problem, but since it is about time, I replaced them this morning. Truck still doesn't start and, since the upper filter cannister is full of fuel, I guess it may be the HPOP. My next action is to have it hauled to the dealer for repair and then to start looking for a new truck.

I only have about 75,000 miles on this truck, but I don't have enough confidence in it to put it on the road towing my fifth wheel.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Did you look through the no-start thread in the Tech folder?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
hi-jacker
Senior User
Problem solved. It's a faulty FICM. My nephew is a diesel tech at a Ford dealer so it'll only cost me roughly $600.00 for the repair. Thanks to all for your input.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM
BLADE35
Post Fiend
BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by hi-jacker View Post
Problem solved. It's a faulty FICM. My nephew is a diesel tech at a Ford dealer so it'll only cost me roughly $600.00 for the repair. Thanks to all for your input.

good deal and even found a cheap mechanic Id be keeping it

I beleive 30%-40% of all the bad that we hear is from dishonest mechanics taking advantage of people changing parts
they know the average joe dont know squat about these 6.0s there really not bad trucks

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.