General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Are you kinda annoyed Fedex won't deliver without signature?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you kinda annoyed Fedex won't deliver without signature?

I mean what's the point of paying for overnight service if they don't deliver it because you're not home? And show of hands, how many of you take a day off work to wait for a package that might show up?

I go through this every time I order something through Fedex, this time wasn't really a big deal but even so. I ordered a part off RockAuto and spent the extra few bucks for priority shipping. Sure enough it got here in one day, I can see it on the website. I can also see they didn't deliver it because I'm not home. Not home on a weekday...go figure. I only got the overnight to ensure I had said part in a few weeks when I'm ready to install it. Like I said not a big deal this time.

Now I realize the whole signature thing ensures (sort of) that packages aren't delivered to the wrong place. I've had Canada Post deliver my valuable packages to someone with a different name at a different address in a different province But that would be resolved by firing idiots who don't read the address on the package and shove it in the nearest mail box.

This has been a mild rant for a mild day

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

I had to go through that same BS with those people also. Why do I have to be here for a camera lens? Firearm deliveries are a whole other story though. Best, CB

Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
We have Fed Up home delivery all the time with no signature ...

Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
Same here......they leave it on doorstep and ring the bell.....

Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Charlie Bravo
Elder User

Thats the way it's supposed to be unless the package says adult signature required. I explained that four times to the same rubber headed driver. It still didn't sink in. Best, CB

Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On high value packages (contents worth over 1000$) it can keep the drivers honest. In a perfect world, of course, where signatures are never faked...

Example: My new laptop came in this morning. It said DELL all over the box in gigantic letters. I don't think there was any mystery about what was in the box. Requiring a signature, in theory, makes sure it gets to my door instead of the back seat of the driver's car.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:17 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
in some cases i leave a note on the door asking the fed ex guy to please leave package on the door step if im not home.. works every time so far..

Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
I get FedEx delivered without a signature, if the sender does not require a signature.

I suppose you could talk to the vendor about this, because I think it's an option they can choose when they ship the package. FedEx may require a signature if the package is insured or something, though, because then it's there money they'd be out of it got lifted off your doorstep.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:52 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
This info is available from FedEx and UPS and every other carrier:

--standard delivery to a residence--no signature. UNLESS the driver sees it's not a secure (hidden) location, or notices the package is high value. I've had stuff walk away after leaving it with no sig, and that address won't get another one left without a sig.

IF THE SHIPPER REQUESTS IT AND PAYS FOR IT, the following options:

--indirect sig--the neighbor or a door tag or note.

--direct sig--YOU gotta be there

--Adult sig--usually alcohol, YOU gotta be there

So don't blame FedEx or any other carrier. It is primarily driven by what the shipper requests.

You can have it shipped to a FedEx office or UPS store or you business address also.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:09 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
I have one of those big plastic boxes you buy at lowes at my gate. usps, fedex, and ups all put the package in there, and stick a stick-um on the gate where I have a cloths pin hooked up for that purpose. Has been working well for 15 years.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
i have no problem with fedex deliveries.

i refuse to use fedex.
99.9% of my shipping is done with USPS. the rest is with UPS

Old 07-16-2011, 07:27 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
This info is available from FedEx and UPS and every other carrier:

--standard delivery to a residence--no signature. UNLESS the driver sees it's not a secure (hidden) location, or notices the package is high value. I've had stuff walk away after leaving it with no sig, and that address won't get another one left without a sig.

Thats funny. My neighbor years back had 2 Macs delivered to his house. My wife came home at lunch and went over and got them. The driver left them on the driveway, not by the front door 20` away(out of sight) for all passing cars to open car door and poof, gone,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

The easiest solution to this situation is to tell the driver, in person or by leaving instructions on your door, to deliever the package to your neighbor or a local office if the signature is required. We have a friend who owns a local gas station, and he accepts our packages for us. This alleviates any problems with the shipper or the delivery service, and takes the responsibility off them. I have done this for years with no problems.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
An even easier solution is to have it delivered to you at your work address. That's what i do for expensive/important deliveries.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
An even easier solution is to have it delivered to you at your work address. That's what i do for expensive/important deliveries.

that would be kind of hard to do when you drive a truck.

Quick Reply: Are you kinda annoyed Fedex won't deliver without signature?