I need a dizzy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:35 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,740 Likes on 1,330 Posts
I need a dizzy...

Well...I think I do, and the dizzy I have is the ONLY item bolted to my 466 that is not new. It will run/idle/rev fine while sitting still...but once you put a load on the engine it just spits and sputters and falls on its face.

Basically, I don't want to spend too much, but I refuse to drop in a $30 Advance Auto special.

It must also be ready to drop in, plug up, and run. I know absolutely nothing about them so the less I can mess up the better

Also, has anyone had luck with the HEI-style conversions? I am interested if I get the same reliability as the Duraspark in a simpler package.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:20 PM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
I Had The Same Problem....

And there were 3 things wrong.
1) My truck has a Carter electric fuel pump that's feeding the Edelbrock 750, and I learned that Edelbrocks don't like fuel pressure over 5.5-6psi. I don't know what type of fuel pump you have. I installed a Holley fuel pressure regulator to solve that problem. I guess stock Ford fuel pumps (mechanical) put out about 7psi. Also...the floats in the carb could be set wrong letting too much fuel into the bowl.

2) I had a plug wire that was bad. I bought a new set of nice 8mm wires from NAPA. They look nice and didn't break my wallet.

3) The vacuum advance on your dizzy could be bad. Pull the vacuum line off, take off the cap, and apply some suction to the canister and watch the advance plate to see if it moves. If not, its bad. If you buy a new distributor a new canister should come with it. You may or may not have to adjust it. There should be some instructions telling you how to adjust the vacuum canister.

Let us know what you find.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
A thought, have you put a fuel psi gauge in the line to check the fuel psi ? I had a bad pump once that would pump 3psi all day long & it never leaked. When I put a load on it it would fall on it's face. Usually ignitions either work or they don't.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
I have not checked the fuel pressure. I just took the stock pump off, which seemed to work just fine...however my fuel filter before the carb only stayed half-full while it was running. I just installed a Holly 80gph unit (mechanical), and noticed the fuel filter stays 3/4 full now. It is rated for 7.5psi, so I didn't think I'd need a regulator

Holley 12-860 - Holley Mechanical Fuel Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

79F150400M:
(1) Thanks for the tip about the Edelbrock's...as I am running a 750cfm
(2) I've got a brand new set of wires on it, as the old wires were arcing out on the valve covers. New plugs, cap, rotor, and coil too...
(3) That's what I am wondering. I've tried both ports on the carb just for gits & shiggles...I even tried it not hooked up. Not much change.

If I can afford it, I will try to get a psi gauge and see what it's putting out...and maybe a regulator if needed.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:03 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
So anyways, If you were shopping for a new distributor for a street truck that will occasionally tow, which one(s) would you be looking at? I can at least research it some while I play around with my truck this weekend....

Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM
79F150400M
Laughing Gas
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Duraspark.

That's my vote. Cheap and easy to troubleshoot and readily available at the parts houses. I know the HEI conversions are out there and people usually have good things to say....but I think the stock Duraspark set up works just fine. I guess it really boils down to what you want.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for a performance disp. i think msd is the best made ing out there. its pricey but i think hard to beat the quaility . i got most of my current setup new / used from some one bailing on a motor build .saved me alot of $$ .but look at all the race stuff mild to wild most all msd. local tracks to nhra / nascar / ect... ive used there stuff for twenty years it makes any motor run better ! no failures on or off road.