Print Wikipost

EcoBoost Vs. 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:26 AM
krazymatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EcoBoost Vs. 5.0

Hello all, I am looking at getting me an Eco-Boost. Before I pull the trigger, what can be said when comparing it to the 5.0? I'm assuming the 5.0 is a gas hog and doesn't have as much torque as the Eco Boost. I just want to get a little feel for what both engines have to offer so I make the right choice. I saw the whole Ford Torture Ecoboost test and was sold, but I'd like to hear from you all. Thanks....

BTW, I used to have a 06 F150 Lariat and loved it. Is there any surprises with the newer F150's like the old stuck spark plugs in the 5.4's?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2011 FX4 5.0L Supercab. And I love it! In my personal experience its far from a gas hog. I've been getting between 17 and 19mpg mixed city/highway with a high of 23 on the highway. My previous truck was a 2003 Ford Ranger with a 3.0L V6 and a 5-speed stick shift and it was avaraging 18mpg city/highway so I didn't lose out any in the MPG department. Power is great from it, It makes my 4X4 F-150 feel alot lighter than it really is. It feels faster than my friends Hemi Dodge if that says anything. Sounds great to boot.

I've driven a few Ecoboost's and they were impressive as well. The biggest difference I noticed in the power between 5.0L and Ecoboost was when I locked gears out with SelectShift. The Ecoboost pulls a little harder in this area. Under normal driving I didn't notice to much of a difference myself. I can't say from personal experience seeing as I opted for the 5.0L. But from what I've been reading on the online fourms fuel econmy between the 5.0L and Ecoboost is pretty much a wash. Both of them seem to be capable of good or terrible mileage. It just depends on how well you can keep you're foot out of it.

Really you can't go wrong with either. I think both would serve you well.

Good luck on you're new truck!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by krazymatt
Hello all, I am looking at getting me an Eco-Boost. Before I pull the trigger, what can be said when comparing it to the 5.0? I'm assuming the 5.0 is a gas hog and doesn't have as much torque as the Eco Boost. I just want to get a little feel for what both engines have to offer so I make the right choice. I saw the whole Ford Torture Ecoboost test and was sold, but I'd like to hear from you all. Thanks....

BTW, I used to have a 06 F150 Lariat and loved it. Is there any surprises with the newer F150's like the old stuck spark plugs in the 5.4's?
5.0 Gas hog - not at all. Gas mileage is VERY comparable to the Eco and BOTH have data that shows Eco is better and others show 5.0 is better. It really depends on what side of the fence your on. I've always said, you can justify anything if you really want it.

Eco - more torque - yes.

Suggest surfing the posts - there's LOTS of information here

If you research these posts and truly keep an opened mind...you'll make the right decision. If you already made up your mind on an Eco or 5.0, don't waste your time looking. There's pros and cons to both.

You want to mod the performance and like the V8 rumble, absolutely go with the 5.0.

You DON'T want to make engine mods at all, positively go with the Eco.

Ultimately, go with your heart (or go fishing).

Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM
stangman05gt
Junior User
Well heres my two cents.
I traded in a 08 f250 supercab 2 wheel drive.DIESEL. And I pull a 30' fifth wheel camper.
It was a hard sell but the eco 4x4 quad fit my needs and needed requirements.
I did research and decided on the eco.
I did a big jump and im not disappointed at all.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 AM
ebexp94
Senior User
This has been debated over and over. The two engines are so close in performance and MPG that it comes doen to personal preferance and priorities.

A couple more MPGs dont matter to me and I have always wanted a V8 (this is my first) so I bought a truck with the 5.0.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Try this site if you want to be more confused about the differences. a WHOLE NEW forum.

Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - Powered by vBulletin

Old 07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
krazymatt
Senior User
Thanks guys. If it means anything I recently sold a 6.7 Diesel Dodge and my 26' Travel Trailer. There is a possibility I will be getting me a small 24' or 25' Fifth wheel in the next year or two. It just plain old blows my mind that a V6 can provide that kind of power. Ford might've just revolutionized the future of the combustion engine!

So will the 5.0 tow just as good as the Eco?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Thanks guys. If it means anything I recently sold a 6.7 Diesel Dodge and my 26' Travel Trailer. There is a possibility I will be getting me a small 24' or 25' Fifth wheel in the next year or two. It just plain old blows my mind that a V6 can provide that kind of power. Ford might've just revolutionized the future of the combustion engine!

So will the 5.0 tow just as good as the Eco?
Depending on the configuration, the Eco will tow 11,300 max. I believe the 5.0 has a 9,600 max - again, depending on the config. I could be wrong but you can certainly check on the Ford website.

Lookie here ->>>> http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/

My 5.0 tows 9,600 and I use every bit of it.

I LOVE to performance mod so I went with the 5.0 and I wouldn't change a thing - but that's just me.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Go big or stay home...get the 6.2L

Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
Go big or stay home...get the 6.2L
Oh yea, there's a 6.2 as well.

don't forget the 3.7 V6 too.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 PM
krazymatt
Senior User
The 6.2 Raptor is bad aZZ but I can't handle the 12mpg empty.
3.7 V6 non eco is not even a consideration. Damn, I thought I was leaning towards the Eco, but man the 5.0 sounds to be very comparable too and it doesn't have turbos to break. HMMM...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
The 6.2 Raptor is bad aZZ but I can't handle the 12mpg empty.
3.7 V6 non eco is not even a consideration. Damn, I thought I was leaning towards the Eco, but man the 5.0 sounds to be very comparable too and it doesn't have turbos to break. HMMM...
"... turbos to break..."? I have no Turbos but... Oh man - you've just opened up a huge can of worms. Get ready... ROTFLMAO

You think your confused now? HAHAHA!!! Just wait!

Like I said, it really all boils down to:

Tow max required?
Future modifications planned?

Gas mileage is really a wash (someone else said that too)

It's all downhill from here man.

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:53 PM
krazymatt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justjimmy
"... turbos to break..."? I have no Turbos but... Oh man - you've just opened up a huge can of worms. Get ready... ROTFLMAO

You think your confused now? HAHAHA!!! Just wait!

Like I said, it really all boils down to:

Tow max required?
Future modifications planned?

Gas mileage is really a wash (someone else said that too)

It's all downhill from here man.

Good luck!
So you're saying the two turbo chargers on the ecoboost are 100% unbreakable? Turbos are in fact complex pieces of equipment that are expensive right?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:00 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought I was leaning towards the Eco, but man the 5.0 sounds to be very comparable too and it doesn't have turbos to break.
So you're saying the two turbo chargers on the ecoboost are 100% unbreakable? Turbos are in fact complex pieces of equipment that are expensive right?
You should ask the guys in the PSD forum about longevity of turbos. I'm sure they'll give you their honest opinions

Anything on the truck is bound to fail at some point, but my guess is that you'll perform more maintenance and repair on a bunch of other mechanical bits on the truck before you will ever touch those turbos.

Quick Reply: EcoBoost Vs. 5.0