Originally Posted by 89broncoll
Ok how can I tell if there leaking?
Search is your friend...

Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm sorry all I know there's many a threads on this subject but I get about 10 to 12 mpg in the city which doesn't seem right.trucks is stock with a crappy k and n filter and exhaust that's it.I don't hot rod around I try to keep elms below 2500 and suggestions?
I get 16.5 mpg on a regular basis. CC 4x4 stock size tires with mainly freeway driving back and forth to work (22 mi each way...)
My wife's truck gets about 15.5 mpg, also CC 4x4 slightly larger tires (285s) with stop and go driving. She rarely gets on the freeway and it's about 4-5 miles to her work, stop light to stop light the whole way. I have seen her driving style and she is very kind to the skinny pedal...

....I was just curious because my buddy with a cummins gets 19 to 23 in town depends how he drives and 25 on highway
I think the Dodge trucks are a little lighter than the Super Duties and a 3:55-ish gear was fairly common with the Cummins. My Cummins driving friends tell me the same MPG story as well, however when we all go out with our fifth wheels, we seem to consume the same amount of fuel (judging by the amount it takes to refill our tanks at the filling station).

Originally Posted by nlemerise
You should be aware of this...the only way you can tell what the fuel mileage of any vehicle is, is to keep long-term records. ..
Agree. When my Cummins driving friends tell me they get 23mpg on the highway, I ask to see their fuel records and of course there are none...
Another good reason to keep accurate records is that it can give a clue when your engine needs maintenance or repair. For instance, leaking intake boots or up-pipes will really hurt your fuel mileage but you might not see any other symptoms (unless you have a boost gauge...)

Neal,
Sorry I missed the last part of your post.yes I would like a spreadsheet if you wouldn't mind.the only plans I ha for the truc were the air filter and gauges ad a chip probably ts with some economy tunes
If you decide to get a boost gauge, you can practice keeping the boost as low as possible while cruising. That will help you determine a nice cruising speed that has reasonable fuel economy as well.

... Correct tire pressure will do more to optimize mileage than any other change (short of putting stock tires back on the truck)....
Agree.

Check for leaks BEFORE replacing...the leaks (whether the boots are old or new) will kill your mpg. If you replace the boots check for leaks AFTER you install them.
Agree. Search the forum for "leak detector" and you will see some clever homemade examples. They are pretty easy to make.
Good luck!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 PM
renoduckman
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
boots

Im still learning a lot from the experts on here. But leaky intercooler boots were causing a 2 or more mpg drop in my truck. I have only checked it once since i had the boot problem solved, but my mpg seems to be back up to its old good self. My signature truck is stock. Mine usually gets about 15 around town, 18-18.5 on a mix of mostly highway and some around town driving, and can just squeak 20-20.5 on a long freway trip under perfect conditons with not much load.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM
89broncoll
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok.so sounds like I need to check all my fittings an intercooler pipes and intake and all that then air filter fluids and tires

Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd also drop the fuel tank and do the intank mods so you eliminate air entering your fuel (still bugs me why they put the return so close to the pickup).

Old 07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
89broncoll
Senior User
Got a link or keyword for those?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:03 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Old 07-11-2011, 04:10 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
In post #8 I gave you a link to a page with guides, mods, & maintenance links...look there .

Old 07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
89broncoll
Senior User
Oh missed that as well.hehe my apologies.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 PM
73ferdf250highboy
Elder User
Not much on fuel mileage, maybe a little...it is the lack of aerodynamics, truck weight, tire size (width and effective gearing) that is killing you most BUT...you will have a much better running truck. Correct tire pressure will do more to optimize mileage than any other change (short of putting stock tires back on the truck).

The #1 factor in getting better fuel mileage is to REDUCE HORSEPOWER DEMAND. This is a combination of vehicle configuration, condition, load and DRIVER OPERATION. Your truck has a poor configuration (larger tires and poor aeros), don't know about your maintenance, condition, or loads, and the last factor (driver operation) is up to you. A recent study in trucks (Class 8 trucks) showed that the single largest variable in fuel mileage was the driver. The best drivers could average 30% greater fuel mileage than the worst drivers.

Do you anticipate traffic lights (to try to avoid actually coming to a complete halt), do you leave a lot of room between you and the vehicle in front of you, do you accelerate slowly and get into high gear as early as possible and stay in high gear as much as possible? On the highway, for maximum fuel economy you want to be driving at (or below) the rpm where your maximum torque is produced (1600-2000 rpm)...not realistic for you with your 35's and probable not realistic for most on this board, but it is true (I wish I had a 20% auxillary overdrive unit ) nonetheless...I could then drive at 60 mph with rpm at 1600 and I bet I could get 18 mpg easy over long hauls. The aerodynamic drag on your vehicle (which is positively correlated to horsepower demand) goes up as a function of the cube of your speed increase. Slow down, reduce stress, avoid tickets AND save fuel.

Check your engine:

1) Check air and fuel filters.

2) Inspect air intake and exhaust systems. Look for leaks in the IC piping, boots, etc.

If you are interested, here is a white paper by Cummins "Secrets of Better Fuel Economy"...this is heavy truck oriented, but the principals (the physics) are still the same in our PSD. Look at the Rock Solid Rule at the bottom of page 6...it is your truck to a T!
that is exactly what im talkin about. i drive my trucks like grandpa would. want em to last as long as i do! till death do we part!

i beat the hell out my highboy- that what she's for

kurt
73 f250 highboy
fe 390
np435 divorced np 205
36x14.50x16.5
best mpg to date: 11mpgs!!! avg: bout 3mpg's

Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I'd also drop the fuel tank and do the intank mods so you eliminate air entering your fuel (still bugs me why they put the return so close to the pickup).
I am one of those people that's not sold on the in-tank mods as being 100% required. I have two personal 7.3 trucks and about 18 at work...all with the original pre-pump fuel system intact. As far as I know, none of our trucks have had any problem with air in fuel. I've checked the return on both of my personal trucks (prior to installing the FRx system) and there wasn't any noticeable air in the fuel. I suspect the air in fuel issue occurs if the in-tank pickup gets clogged. Then it's possible for the special fuel line fitting ahead of the pump to allow air into the system. If there isn't any problem in the tank, then there shouldn't be any air in the system. Just one of my theories though...

It if were me, I'd spend the money on a fuel pressure gauge before looking for problems in the tank. Exception being if your truck hasn't been used on a regular basis and has been known to sit for extended periods of time between uses. If so, then dropping the tank to check the screens is probably a good idea.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM
89broncoll
Senior User
Greg my truck is a daily driver.like I said I'll start with all my intercooler boots I have looked at them and there looks like there leaking.I see dirt and grime on them from like an oil leak

Old 07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
89broncoll
Senior User
Greg my truck is a daily driver.like I said I'll start with all my intercooler boots I have looked at them and there looks like there leaking.I see dirt and grime on them from like an oil leak

Old 07-11-2011, 04:48 PM
89broncoll
Senior User

Quick Reply: What should my mpg be?