6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Leaving truck idle when re fueling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving truck idle when re fueling?

Somehow almost everytime i am filling up, another Superduty fills up the same time... (I guess they are popular in my area!), But i would say about half the time, all these guys just leave the truck on and let it idle while filling up? I NEVER do this, and do not understand why anyone would? So since I am seeing this, who here does this? and what would the reason be?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by ETKMS
Somehow almost everytime i am filling up, another Superduty fills up the same time... (I guess they are popular in my area!), But i would say about half the time, all these guys just leave the truck on and let it idle while filling up? I NEVER do this, and do not understand why anyone would? So since I am seeing this, who here does this? and what would the reason be?
Those would be the guys who answer to "Rubber Duck." They've seen the movie Convoy at least 17 times. Look for CB antennas. If you ask what kind of truck they drive, they'll answer, "Mack."

Evidently, this can be seen not only in Florida, but all across the U.S.A.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I leave mine running when towing only. If empty I will shut it down. As I am filling if it is going to be a few because I have to go in and pay the wife will shut it down after about 5 mins.

My EGTS is the concern for me after just getting off the hwy. Other than that I see need to burn fuel trying to get fuel.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed it more this summer. I guess with the heat and people are leaving the Air on so it stays cool in the cab. I leave mine running when I am towing only. Of course there are stickers and signs all over the place at the pumps now, to turn off your vehicle, off the cell phone, yada, yada, even at the Diesel pump.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by XB70
Those would be the guys who answer to "Rubber Duck." They've seen the movie Convoy at least 17 times. Look for CB antennas. If you ask what kind of truck they drive, they'll answer, "Mack."

Evidently, this can be seen not only in Florida, but all across the U.S.A.
+1.

Lots of people also believe the myth that diesels have turbos that have to cool down. The truth is that the turbos never get hot enough to require this unless you're pulling something heavy up a hill. When I was in training to drive heavy trucks I was always told that even after pulling a hill, when you take the exit to get off the freeway and make it to wherever your'e stopping, the turbos will have cooled down enough to shut it right down. In over 250,000 miles towing trailers from 15K to 62K lbs, I have never left an engine idle while fueling. And I've never blown a turbo.

This goes for pickup trucks as well. Have towed frequently both with my '08 6.4L truck and my '11 6.7L truck and have NEVER left the truck running to fuel. And again, I have never damaged anything.

Currently diesel is right around $4.00/gallon. Let the other guys waste it...

Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 AM
XB70
Elder User
I have a 2004 Mustang Mach1. It doesn't makes me a cowboy. Or, Chuck Yeager. My F250 doesn't make me a trucker, either.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gearitis
I leave mine running when I am towing only. Of course there are stickers and signs all over the place at the pumps now, to turn off your vehicle, off the cell phone, yada, yada, even at the Diesel pump.
Do you smoke while refueling, too?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 AM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll do it in three instances, one is if I have been regening and have to stop before it completed and the second is if I have been towing. Third is in the winter if I am filling up when the truck is cold and I need to warm it up.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 AM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by galaxie641
I'll do it in three instances, one is if I have been regening and have to stop before it completed and the second is if I have been towing. Third is in the winter if I am filling up when the truck is cold and I need to warm it up.
It's not that much colder in Cheyenne than Cody, is it? You warm up your truck by driving slowly, not idling for ten minutes. If you can't fire it up and drive off slowly, put some 5w-40 in it.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XB70
Do you smoke while refueling, too?
Ha, no don't smoke at all! Point taken!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Don't leave it running if you're running an AirDog or similar fuel air separator with a return line...you'll end up with either a lap full of diesel or the pump will keep shutting off because the filler neck is filling up double quick (although that experience can vary with the nozzle and fill rate...)

Anyway, I always leave my truck running...sorry... I typically fuel at truck stops or the oil company yard which has a fast fill rate (as opposed to the typical chain store "gas" stations). In the winter it keeps the heat going, the summer the A/C kicking and when towing heavy it lets the EGTs settle down to under 400 degrees. Oil coking in my turbos bearings is not the least bit attractive to me...

I had several horrific experiences with my 6.0 Excursion that was running too close to "E" for comfort and actually had to bleed the lines right there at the pump to get it to start after some hard/prolonged cranking. Believe me, I KNOW it's super bad to run a diesel dry (it didn't stall or roll into the station either time, was just low/"E") which is why a Titan is in order for my '10 F250, in addition to the 5-gallon fuel can that I ALWAYS have handy (the Zombie Apocalypse is coming you know...). I also know that it is SUPER DUPER HORRIFICALLY BAD to run a common-rail out of fuel...that's the kind of worse case scenario that wakes me up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, screaming "NOOOOO!!!"...

YMMV may vary of course!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 PM
caddy
Senior User
I have done it when on long road trip and have the family in it. Especially if the kids are asleep in the truck.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 PM
longview1
Fleet Mechanic
Winter I do 100% of the time, Summer I do 75% of the time.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
Yeah but.... why is it I seem to never see cars or gas trucks leave their engines on while re fueling? it seems like it is a diesel thing!

I never did it, have no plans to, even after towing heavy.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
caddy
Senior User
[quote=ETKMS;10563573]Yeah but.... why is it I seem to never see cars or gas trucks leave their engines on while re fueling? it seems like it is a diesel thing!

On my gaser work truck I do it often. And I do it to keep cool since Houston temp and humidity in summer are a bit high.

Quick Reply: Leaving truck idle when re fueling?