6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Rear view camera - random problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I did a splice with a connector like 12" Car and Trailer End Loop Spectro Wiring 9653P which I cut into and used the end with 3 shielded contacts on the truck side with the video on the two center pins and ground on the unshielded pin. The other end I spliced to a camera like
Nightvision Infrared License Plate Rearview Camera shown.
This connector is a good choice for this application if you can't get a Ford 6 pin connector to match the one on the truck.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:28 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Mine works 99% of the time. I swear heat has to be part of the problem because I've not had any problems with it recently until yesterday after the truck was sitting in the sun in 90+ degree heat.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 PM
surferaw
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Samara Morgan in mine one night. She was behind my truck with her face hidden beneath her hair. I was out in the desert in the middle of nowhere. It scared the bejesus out of me! I was attempting a turnaround on a narrow road, so I just threw it back in drive, hopped the berm along the side of the road and gunned it!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, that is messed up. Get that creepy pic offa there!!!!! ROFL!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 PM
dchatcher
New User
Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram of the camera circuit as I removed my tailgate for 5th wheel towing and want to install a camera in it. The wiring pigtail part is BC3Z-14A412-A (I think). But will need to adapt it to the pigtail. THX

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
Ok for the tech data. The camera connector beneath the tail gate is C497 and is a 6 conductor cable.
Pin 1 is Violet with Gray strip and is +12 volts
Pin 2 is White with Green strip and is Video +
Pin 3 is Brown with Violet strip and is Video -
Pin 4 is Black and is a ground shield for Video. This is Not power ground and should not be used for Power Ground.
Pin 5 is Black on Male connector and Black with White stripe on Female connector and is Power Ground.
Pin 6 is not used.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 AM
dchatcher
New User
Greatly appreciate the technical info on cable and connector. THX

Note: The Pigtail wiring harness from the camera to the truck with the connector on it may be Ford part number BC3Z-14A412-A and costs $30/dealer - $22 other sources. I am trying to confirm now..

Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Originally Posted by lkbrow1
The wiring to the camera video is a coax cable. Right before the plug that allows you to disconnect the tailgate the coax is spliced back to regular wires that go into the connector. You could have an intermittent connection there. If the video signal is weak the display will remain blue until it times out then goes blank. If a video signal is strong enough, the camera stays on after shifting into drive until you reach a minimum speed. I can back out of my drive way, pull up to my mail box, read a letter, and the camera will stay on until I leave the mail box.
I removed my tailgate and connected a camera to the harness that was in a license plate holder.
that's how I got so familiar with the functionality.

I have wanted to thank you for the wiring diagram that you posted previously for the factory camera. I finally got around to buying an aftermarket camera and the short section that connects the factory camera to the plug by the spare tire. I cut into this short section and wired the aftermarket camera using your diagram. Thank you very much, you made it much easier for me. I now have a camera when my 5Th wheel tailgate is installed. The cost for me was about $30.00 for the camera delivered and about $30.00 from Ford for the harness. This way I can just unplug my camera and change tailgates using the factory one again. The advantage for me is that all of my wiring remained stock.

Cascade F250

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine does this sometimes.. the little LCD screen in the rearview mirror does not like to get hot..LCD screens in general don't like alot of heat.. i use a foil winshield shade and make sure the rearview mirror stays out of the sunlight..

Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Ok for the tech data. The camera connector beneath the tail gate is C497 and is a 6 conductor cable.
Pin 1 is Violet with Gray strip and is +12 volts
Pin 2 is White with Green strip and is Video +
Pin 3 is Brown with Violet strip and is Video -
Pin 4 is Black and is a ground shield for Video. This is Not power ground and should not be used for Power Ground.
Pin 5 is Black on Male connector and Black with White stripe on Female connector and is Power Ground.
Pin 6 is not used.
What about the wires that go into the back of the rear view mirror? I have a new cord for my radar detector that slices into the connecter. I took a quick look and came up with the following. The wires were small so it was hard to see the colors so I may be off a little on them.

Pin 1 - Green with brown stripe
Pin 2 - Light blue with white stripe
Pin 4 - Black
Pin 8 - White with green stripe
Pin 16 - Brown with violet stripe.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:39 PM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
Pin 1 Should be Green with Violet strip not brown strip. It is Power
Pin 2 Control Module. Don't know what that means
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 8 Video +
Pin 16 Video -
IF you have Navigation this does not apply. Video display will not be in rear view mirror.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM
mach8274
Tuned
We have been in 95+ degree heat since June, some days over 100. I have the camera display in the rear view mirror and I have not had a bit of trouble out of it.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Pin 1 Should be Green with Violet strip not brown strip. It is Power
Pin 2 Control Module. Don't know what that means
Pin 4 Ground
Pin 8 Video +
Pin 16 Video -
IF you have Navigation this does not apply. Video display will not be in rear view mirror.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by mach8274
We have been in 95+ degree heat since June, some days over 100. I have the camera display in the rear view mirror and I have not had a bit of trouble out of it.
Mine is hit or miss. Only had trouble about 10% of the time if that.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Miss Kitty
New User
BEEN TO DEALER 5 TIMES ON THIS!

Anyone having this issue.. needs to make thier dealer aware as they have no fix for it yet. My truck has been in and out 5 times for this issue. I have the camera with the mirror display and not nav radio. Since it has been in and out so many times the have tried replacing things and are going to have a Ford Engineer come to the dealer to look at it. It mostly happends when using the remote start... If you can locate the modual under your dash.. (near your left foot area if sitting in driver seat.... now look way up) that does something... like connect it to your "reverse" switch.. you can wiggle it around and it should do it. They have rewired, replaced mod and everything short of a whole new system. STILL NO FIX!!
Anyone else that has been to the dealer in this please let me know. I am tired of leaving my truck there day after day and they cant fix it... I actually could care less about the camera.. I just hate paying for things on my brand new truck that do not work....

Old 08-15-2011, 03:37 PM
DrewF
Senior User
I havent taken mine in yet. Waiting until I go for the first oil change.

My selling dealer is 60 miles away, and is the one that will be doing the first oil change, def fill up for free.

Quick Reply: Rear view camera - random problem