General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Prom night's comin' up . . . looking for suggestions . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 12:24 AM
bolanrox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything worth doing is worth over doing I'd go for the Excursion, or a classic car, really turn some heads.. The wrist corsage is a great idea.. who ever brought up where to pin it on the dress is right on. Have fun stay safe, treat her right...

and if you do imbibe: Liquor before beer, in the clear, beer before liquour never sicker.. I think Ben Franklin said that one

have fun, do everything you can now, High school / college only comes once, and it sure flies by.. Never belived my Father when he told me that... do now though!

Old 03-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Quadiquizm
Elder User

RebelCowboy -
I went to the prom with a friend, who happened to be a girl. Best advice - she is still your 'date' for the evening and you should treat her as if you were dating.
When it comes to taking a girl to any event, especially a formal one, one must always make it a point to be a gentleman and make the evening fun and memorable.
Furthermore, you have to keep in mind that this is how many relationships start.
Hope this info helps!

Old 03-30-2003, 08:00 AM
MatthewJ
Senior User

For my prom I drove a Red 2000 SVT Lightning. My bosses truck. But a good tip is to go to the doctor for a check-up before hand. I got sick at my junior and senior prom. I'm convinced I'm going to die at my wedding.

Old 03-30-2003, 03:01 PM
83bigbroncoguy
Senior User

Personally, I'm going for the style...A new Mercedes E-Class. Like most everybody else said, go with style. The stretch X would definately be stylin, as would a stretch Navigator. Just go with whatever you think has the most style.

Old 03-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Tinkerbelly
New User

My senior prom royally sucked. We went to dinner (me, my twin sister and our 2 dates) and then we headed to the place where our whole prom dance thing took place. But on our drive over there, we got a call from our parents that our grandma had passed away We only ended up staying at the prom for a little over an hour and then our dates took us home. SUCKY!

Hope yours goes well though!

Old 03-30-2003, 07:55 PM
gts
Senior User

When you first arrive at the prom you will see a receiving line. You'll be greeted and hand-shook by: The principal, the vice principal, the PTA pres, and several other chapperones and members of school administration. Can you say SOBRIETY TEST? They don't want you to end up in the papers - be smart, be yourself + have fun.

Old 03-30-2003, 08:57 PM
julie54
Freshman User

my son on his senior prom 2 yrs ago took his date in a 379 peterbilt VERY classy ride! now he works for the guy and drives a classier truck! lol dont know how his date got outa the cab in that long dress but heard its was quite a show!

Old 03-30-2003, 11:40 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend

My Junior Prom is coming up on april 26th and it'll be my third prom. Anyway i have found out that if you don't know your date very well double date (or even triple date) and then it won't turn out bad. I think the stretch X is a great idea but if you can rent a classic or some new bmw or lincoln or something. For my prom i will be hopefully be driving my truck with everything but the motor idone to it. If we get it done it will be a really fun time driving around cause no one within i think 300 miles has a truck like mine. Another good thing to do is make sure you make resverations, try and talk about things she likes etc, get her a single silk rose, know what her dress looks like so you can pick out a tux that doesn't clash, i find its really fun to pull up to a drive through or something. My freshman year we went into a Pamida to kill some time and that is something i will remember. Thats about all i have that hasn't been mentioned. Good luck with your prom.

Old 03-31-2003, 12:02 AM
bronco351
Posting Guru

Dude, when my prom comes, where going in my 1990 Bronco with a 6" lift and 35" tires. Afterwards off-roading!!!!!!!

Old 03-31-2003, 08:11 AM
dlcslcman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'll give it to you straight from a limo driver. I have been driving for a few years and have learned a few things. Go for the Ex, you'll have more room to move around and the chances of your date's dress opening inappropriately will be reduced (yes, that has happened!!!). The Towncar stretch is nice, but constrained to say the least.

As far as ideas, I'm not sure if you are going solo or as a group, but try to pick a restaraunt that can fit everybody's needs.
Too many times I see people try to go to some swank restaraunt that gears towards one type of food and at least half complain (too pricey, not their type of food, etc.)

The biggest thing you HAVE to make sure you pay attention to is the rules. I don't know what state you live in but in Maryland, if I detect any alcohol in the car, I am required by law to notify the administrators at the dance. Last year I had an Eddie Haskel kind of kid who thought that the rules didn't apply to him and his bottle of congac. I think his parents have just let him off of restriction. I will kick a kid out of my car as soon as he cracks the seal. My rule is "If I find it unopened, it's out of here. If I find it opened you are out of here, no refunds not exceptions." Always remember, if you think you are being smooth about it, the limo driver has already seen the game.

The name of the game is safety, we don't try to be a pain in the rear, but if your rear gets hurt, my rear ends up in a sling. I am a PSC certified, DOT certified commercial driver and I can have a lot of license's in jepoardy to just be cool and let you drink. We want you to have a great "MEMORABLE" night, not one you regret.

If you have any questions, feel free to mail me at ddansker(No Email Addresses In Posts!), maybe I have an answer.

Dave

Old 03-31-2003, 09:15 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru

I skipped mine in favor of helping to set up for a HUGE after party at a friends house. It (in our eyes, anyway) was far better off for just about everybody in our class to end up coming down, partying till they were done, and crash right here than go out and get all messed up.
Well, turned out that at least 30 others decided at the last minute to skip it, and by the time the rest showed up, we had the entire place (house, barn, garage, yard, HUGE field, cabin) all filled, and had the place rockin.
By the end of the night, everybody was regretting going to the prom at all, and wished they'd been with us.
I don't think anybody went to bed alone that night.
Plus, nobody, not ONE in our class, got in any kind of trouble that night.. Well, I dunno, there's a few kids floating around nowadays that look an awful lot like a few of us, but, who knows.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:00 PM
OldSkoolRacer
Senior User

Oh man, if I just had it all to do over again...I'd probably go CAT grader style, such a cool idea, and i have one too! But the way I did it was probably more classy. Lets just say I'm too poor for a limo, not because I don't make good money, but because I spend it all on my trucks and cars. I drove my date to Junior prom in my baby blue 1958 Effie. It was probably the most admired ride there, which made her feel cool when everybody there stopped to look at us. My auto shop teacher, who was standing at the door as a half-greeter half-bouncer, didn't know what to do when I threw him the keys and told him to park it! He gladly did(after a few trips around the block, I suspect) and we were the only couple there that got valet parking. At the end of the night he even brought it around front for me, on the condition that I started driving it to school so he could use it for class demonstrations (all we had was a donated Yugo at the time). For my Senior prom, I caved and did the limo thing because thats what my date really, really wanted. I guess my point is, you just gotta do what fits your date. Heres a few tips though: drinking during or befor prom is childish, after parties its acceptable if its cool with her, but boozing and cruising is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Get a DD, nuff said. A corsage is a must, or you will look like a fool. A dozen roses if your serious about her, oh, and tip the limo driver, too. And be a gentleman above all else.

Old 04-01-2003, 07:46 AM
redranger90
Senior User

well you have gotten a bunch of great tips from some apparent gentleman (didn't think they existed anymore). The wrist corsage, opening doors, being respectful and thoughtful.
The only things I could possibly add are from female perspective, she will be looking for your reaction, as soon as she sees you she'll be noticing what expression you're making. Don't gauk, you may make her self conscious for the rest of the night. The shoes compliment, well if you think she's that type. The 3 safe bets are the dress, her hair, and definitely her eyes. save one of them for while your dancing if possible, and if you add a question it seems far more sincere than a typical shallow compliment. otherwise be yourself, and have a great time.

just my .02

red

Old 04-02-2003, 01:37 AM
fordzgal
Senior User

well here is a woman's point of view.... Prom is the BIGGEST event in a teenage girls life... so my advise is to make it special and memorable for her because she will always remember that night! I forget who said it earlier but YES YES YES tell her her shoes are great (we do love shoes)! Most important is make her feel like the most beautiful person in the room...tell her over and over how amazing she looks. I know...we are high maintanance aren't we?? Also besides the flowers...wrist corsage is wise, make sure you remember her mom ...wink wink! Plus an added romantic thing is to make a song dedication at the dance...cheesy?? maybe..but she'll love it.
It's been almost ten years since my senior prom and I still remember every detail! Every girl wants to feel like Cinderella...so be a prince!

Be safe and have fun!

Old 04-02-2003, 03:58 PM
F150 Babe
New User

Ok...If I'm not the Prom expert by now...I don't know who would be...lol! This will be my 6th Prom (From my school and other schools), but will be my 18th formal dance(I think)! So....If you need some advice...I'm sure I could help!

This year we (My best friend, her date, my *imaginary date*, and myself) are riding in a silver 2002 Mercedes SUV, although I wouldn't mind taking the F-150... Getting into any vehicle should be interesting considering we both have fairly large dresses (think Cinderella). Limos are always nice, even if it's not a Hummer or a Navigator....the thought actually does count on this one!

IF possible...Ask your date where she likes to get her flowers because this can be a touchy subject...and she may want to take her dress by and match it with ribbon for the corsage. When I was a freshman, I went to another school's Homecoming and my date got me a small rose boquet...which was nice because it was different.

MAKE sure the place you take her for dinner is classy (NOT Hooters, Applebees, etc.) If you need help with places in GA I can help, other than that you better ask someone you trust!

The most important thing is to have a good attitude! And remember that you are (if only for tonight) a gentleman and need to act like one! Open doors, pull out chairs, she orders first, don't discuss prices of food, and don't spend the whole night talking about trucks(I wouldn't mind...but some girls.....)

PS-Tell her she's beautiful, smells nice, you like her dress, etc....Even if you think her hair looks like something from another planet, she has on more purfume than any one person needs, and the dress looks like something you could have made!! She'll be glad you noticed all the primp time she spent for you ....and if you don't comment on these things believe me...She'll never forget it!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Prom night's comin' up . . . looking for suggestions . .