Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need good links to 3G swap threads???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:19 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
At least it's not $30+...

Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
We all have lazy days... for the amount of travel and time and gas you would have spent getting an OEM plug you might as well spend the $7!

I am just getting around to cleaning the garage and putting everything away in my new tool box and it's been a mess for at least a month... Probably closer to 2months... Hot weather truck work is no fun at all so I am procrastinating too!

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
bykrmom
Senior User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah this heat is really cutting into my outside tinkering time.

Today, instead of doing the 3G mod while I wait for the plug, I am tearing down my Suzuki Intruder to change the air filters. Maybe even do a fast carb rebuild on it so it's running well. My son wants to use it for getting to/from work, and considering it was in a shed all winter I think it can use a little TLC. (I need to find some shade to work in though!)

Last week in the worst of the heat, we put in new fork seals and did an oil change. He thought it would be done then, but it runs bad at the moment.

I swore I wasn't going to work on any more bikes until I got my ford road-ready, but once I discovered she needs ball joints, I decided I'd fix up the bike for him first so he has something for all his hard work on Beast, past and future.

I decided I will just look at Beast as an expensive driveway ornament for now, until I can save for and buy all the parts she obviously needs. Rushing things so I can drive her is, at this point, useless. One issue after another pops-up so I'll have to be patient.

I have a Yamaha Virago that I've been intending to rebuild since I got hit on it in 2003. Maybe if the weather cools I can play with that too.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM
bykrmom
Senior User

I should leave things like working on this ol' Ford to those better qualified and better equipped than I am...

Just pulled out my 2G ready for the swap... was going to test-fit and grind that bracket so the larger diameter 3G would fit in there. Fought like hell to get the new 3G in the bottom bracket and then discovered the 3G I bought is NOT going to work on my truck...

I messed up. I got a 8" pivot, not a 7" pivot, and there is no way in hell it's going to fit in there.

You guys ever feel like bashing yourselves over the head with a jack handle?

OH, I did get a awesome price on that 3G motorcraft rebuild, but once I eat the cost of that and the shipping and find the right one after all, I could have bought everything including the alternator from RJM.

I thinking I'm going to put the 2G back in it, drive it around back, and park it until I don't feel like loading it with dynamite and lighting the fuse.

Last edited by bykrmom; 07-24-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: P.S. I know it's early but I'm going to town to get drunk now.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Angie-What are you referring to, by 7" pivot?

Also, trust me...You'll have this issue with the pop ups, until its in perfect running order.....Then it'll be monthly maintenance...

Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Pivot mount with 7" between centers of the mounting bolts.
I was better able to use an 8 1/4" alternator with my V belt setup.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:00 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Too bad.
This one starting @ $30 received 0 bids and included the harness pigtails.

Tested Ford 3G Alternator Full Size Bronco Mustang 130 | eBay

It hasn't been re-listed.

Both plugs, $13, free shipping; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...item2c5df2f627

Old 07-24-2011, 02:09 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

2 bids, $10.50 and 6 hours to go. Includes the pigtails.
You'll need to swap back to the serpentine pulley.

66-77 Early Ford Bronco 130 amp 3G Alternator | eBay

Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM
bykrmom
Senior User

I'll just sit back, take a deep breath, and start again when I have more funds. After all I've done and the money I sunk into it, I can't afford to start over with another truck.

Jim, I'll tag those in eBay to watch them, thanks so much for the links! Hopefully he'll re-list the 30 dollar one. I can't buy/bid at the moment as I need to wait until I get a few more dollars back in the bank in a couple days.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:36 PM
bykrmom
Senior User

OK seeing as how I have already messed this simple swap up, let me also ask a question that you might think is a DUH! kind of question...

Is a 302 and 351 the same block?

Reason for the question... If I can find a replacement alternator bracket (like this one eBay) and it should measure correctly for the 8.25" pivot, would it fit my 351? (I sent a question to the seller asking him to measure it)

It appears to have the right bosses on it for the air pump that goes on the bottom. (I'm hoping Ford got the extra 1.25" from room at the top, not more bracket at the bottom.)

Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

The deck height of a 351 is taller, all the front dress should be the same.

But I don't think an 8.25" alternator will fit a Windsor engine with a serpentine belt.
They usually came on the 3.8 Essex V-6 found in the Taurus/Sable/Mustang.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:08 PM
bykrmom
Senior User

I can't seem to find it again now, but there was a post in FTE where a guy was trying to put together a 1994 E350 basket case for a customer. He was asking about a missing metal coolant tube or something...

He had an image of the engine sitting on the frame, and I don't know the engine he had there, but it had this alt on it. Maybe a 351, maybe not. I wish I could find that post again. Whatever that engine was it seems the bracket was the same only bigger in the right spots.

Never mind, this is the thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...body-help.html but it's the smaller 7" pivot.

Damn

Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

You very well may be right Angie.
But IIRC the little V-6 was the base engine available in the E-series vans.

I'm no expert on all the various serpentine belt setups, or even if the belt length would be the same.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:45 PM
bykrmom
Senior User

No, Jim, I think you're right. I can't find anything that would suggest I could fit this larger body 3G in my truck. Best I can do is list it on eBay and eat the original shipping costs. I searched all day on Google and came up empty.

I hate it when I mess up like this... I don't have money to waste, and through my own stupidity, I did it anyway.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Stop kicking yourself.
Things happen, lesson learned....

We have a marketplace right here on FTE.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum231/
I'm sure someone with a V-belt truck and a wimpy, smoking 2G would like to buy that freshly rebuilt 8 1/4"

Quick Reply: Need good links to 3G swap threads???