1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

suddenly starting surging idle (loping) very bad in summer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 619 Likes on 385 Posts
Originally Posted by strokerspeed
Does kind of sound like maybe ICP, I need to un plug and try running, not sure which one it is so i'm searching for pictures, sounds like could be IPR as well. I don't know anyone else with a psd unfortunately. I will probably have to find a mechanic with AE but for now this is what I have now found.
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
Did you ever try the ICP Stroker? Good catch Trey!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 PM
strokerspeed
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blowing compressed air (Pre-pump; I wouldn't go over 20-25psi) backwards down the lines to unclog the screens
by this do you mean un hooking at the bowl and blowing back through all the way to the tank while tank is still installed? If so, does this not cause any problems with going the wrong direction on the pump?

For this guy it was the ICP sensor
I unplugged it and It didn't change anything. Could it still be the icp? Could it be the IPR sensor?
a visual...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I unplugged it and It didn't change anything. Could it still be the icp? Could it be the IPR sensor?
a visual...
If the PCM isnt getting a signal from the ICP sensor because it is bad then it will just make bad decisions on what to do, resulting in your problem. Unplugging it will just make sure that the PCM gets a bad (no) signal from the ICP.

Sounds to me like a new one is what you need. If you unplug something and nothing more goes wrong its a good bet that that is what is wrong.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
by this do you mean un hooking at the bowl and blowing back through all the way to the tank while tank is still installed? If so, does this not cause any problems with going the wrong direction on the pump?

a visual...

No, you would disconnect before the fuel pump, (On the frame under the driver's seat) and blow the air backwards through the lines. Again, before the pump, so its just lines to the tank, NOT through the pump or bowl!

It could be the IPR, but I don't believe there is any way to test for it short of getting good oil pressure readings from a good scanner, and/or replacing it. I have read where some have been able to remove and clean the IPR and re-seal it with a new O-Ring kit, but if I remember correctly most of those who did ended up replacing them.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by ToMang07
I have read where some have been able to remove and clean the IPR and re-seal it with a new O-Ring kit, but if I remember correctly most of those who did ended up replacing them. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Here you go.

EDIT: File removed. Wrong PDF.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
If the PCM isnt getting a signal from the ICP sensor because it is bad then it will just make bad decisions on what to do, resulting in your problem. Unplugging it will just make sure that the PCM gets a bad (no) signal from the ICP.

Sounds to me like a new one is what you need. If you unplug something and nothing more goes wrong its a good bet that that is what is wrong.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...2&d=1288732190
That's not the case, if the ICP is whats bad, unplugging it will make the PCM use "default" settings, and it WILL run, just not as well. You should be able to start it with the ICP unplugged IF the ICP is what is causing your issue.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by ToMang07
That's not the case, if the ICP is whats bad, unplugging it will make the PCM use "default" settings, and it WILL run, just not as well. You should be able to start it with the ICP unplugged IF the ICP is what is causing your issue.
By bad decisions, I meant default settings

Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Blah blah blah..

Double post.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 PM
strokerspeed
Junior User

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...2&d=1288732190
no offense at all here, but I have read a good amount of posts saying to diagnose a bad ICP you un plug it and that puts the PCM in default mode...I will try to find some of those posts (EDIT: see pst #4, search icp sensor unplugging to see more https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-u-think.html ). I am leaning more towards the IPR or the harnesses. I found the outer harness I think and it is tight, probably should take of valve covers and check those harneses inside before even dropping tank(or blowing out) wouldn't you think ToMang?
ToMang07-do you know of a way to plow out the lines from the pump to the bowl? maybe disconect at pump, take out filter, and blow towards the bowl? Thanks again!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:56 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

no offense at all here, but I have read a good amount of posts saying to diagnose a bad ICP you un plug it and that puts the PCM in default mode...I will try to find some of those posts (EDIT: see pst #4, search icp sensor unplugging to see more https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-u-think.html ). I am leaning more towards the IPR or the harnesses. I found the outer harness I think and it is tight, probably should take of valve covers and check those harneses inside before even dropping tank(or blowing out) wouldn't you think ToMang?
ToMang07-do you know of a way to plow out the lines from the pump to the bowl? maybe disconect at pump, take out filter, and blow towards the bowl? Thanks again!
If youre going for the IPR you might want this. Let us know!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IPR Rebuild - Large Pics.pdf (279.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
strokerspeed
Junior User
Thank you, yes I will and am going for that first. Thinking that first, then UVCH or whatever those harnesses are (do I HAVE to replace the gaskets when I do this? Will they leak? I know I should, but are these made to be re usable? I seriously have no ride making it hard to get parts...), then try blowing out lines(still wondering how to blow from pump to bowl...), then if that don't work drop tank. Might break into the fuel bowl before dropping the tank depending on suggestions because I think I am getting fuel to the bowl... (just because the way it sounds when squirting into bowl, I have listened to it squirt for years and its still squirting the same as always, doesn't necessarily mean anything though)

Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 AM
milleroutdoors
Posting Guru
strokerspeed, am I understanding from your local stations you are in Eugene, OR?

Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by milleroutdoors
strokerspeed, am I understanding from your local stations you are in Eugene, OR?
How could I miss that! Hes got a couple buddys right down the road!

And Clay aint too far away either.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by milleroutdoors
Hence why it is a good thing to post your location on your signature line.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:29 AM
strokerspeed
Junior User
Yes I'm in Eugene, OR

Quick Reply: suddenly starting surging idle (loping) very bad in summer!