1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Vehicle Roadworthiness - What to Check???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
ajstephan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle Roadworthiness - What to Check???

My daughter has a ~year 2000 Expedition 4.6L 4x4 with over 180K miles.

She needs to drive 4 hours over the passes for some training, and I want to check it out to make sure it is roadworthy. We don't have time to get it to a shop.

What should I check? I am most worried about the transmission. The only test I know of is to stand on the brake and accelerate to make sure the torque converter holds.

Other than that:

- fluids
- compression
- voltages
- spark plugs/wires
- tire pressures
- ball joints

What else? I don't work on vehicles much anymore.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 PM
alloro
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,433 Posts
If nothing is acting up I would leave it all alone right now, other than scheduled fluid changes that might be due. The tinkering can sometimes create problems that don't exist, especially with the spark plugs for that model year. You'd be better off buying her a AAA membership with the 100 mile towing option and a cell phone. That way if something did happen, the vehicle can be towed back free of charge for her.

Obviously check the tire pressure though!

Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Boat Tug
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two years ago I added BG ATC Plus to my vehicles transmissions and have had good results.
It was recommended by a friend of mine who owns an auto repair shop.
He swears by this stuff and says his shop has had excellent results with it and has been adding it to all his repairs/maintenance of various running gear.

I've had it in my XP for the last 20k miles of it's 164k miles.
With the original trans in mine I worry because I tow a TT and other things.
Since adding the BG it shifts smooth and tight.

I put it in my Mustang GT w/auto trans too.
This car gets wound up occasionally and the trans started feeling a bit sloppy at 50k miles.
I had my friend service the tranny and add the BG.
I felt it immediately with tighter shifting, almost new again.
It's got 74k on it now and it still chirps the tires going in to 2nd gear.

BTW, I have nothing whatsoever to do with BG's products, I just use them.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 PM
ajstephan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alloro
If nothing is acting up I would leave it all alone right now, other than scheduled fluid changes that might be due. The tinkering can sometimes create problems that don't exist, especially with the spark plugs for that model year. You'd be better off buying her a AAA membership with the 100 mile towing option and a cell phone. That way if something did happen, the vehicle can be towed back free of charge for her.

Obviously check the tire pressure though!
That's about what I ended up doing. The oil level was not measurable (which explains the noisy lifters...) so I changed the oil and checked the rest of the fluids. She had taken my advice and had the tranny fluid changed last year.

The Hayes book on it was helpful, although there are too many things to check, and like you stated, I didn't want to do too much ahead of a big trip. They recommended changing the transfer case, power steering, brake, and differential fluids.

Beyond that, I found:
- the rotors are warped
- there is a clinking in the front (ball joints?)
- the transmission seemed fine, with a 1400 rpm stall in the converter
- the lower coolant hose needs to be replaced soon, but I didn't want to mess with it, as it is a multi-hose contraption
- the coolant needs to be replaced
- where in the heck are the spark plugs?

Also, the throttle body seemed dirty on the inside, but there is a warning sticker on it not to clean it. ???

I told her to let me take her, and get the more immediate issues resolved soon. However, I think she's going to go anyway. People do it all the time, but it makes me nervous.

She's got towing through her insurance, but I told her to get a 1-800 number to call, or get AAA if you're going to drive an older vehicle.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:06 PM
alloro
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ajstephan
The Hayes book
They recommended changing the ... and differential fluids.

- where in the heck are the spark plugs?

Also, the throttle body seemed dirty on the inside, but there is a warning sticker on it not to clean it. ???
Only change the front differential fluid, the rear is synthetic and is good for the life of the rear end. In fact the owner's manual specifically states not to change it.

The intake is plastic and using the wrong cleaning chemicals can harm it, hence the warning sticker.

Near each fuel injector is a round black coil with a 2-wire plug going to it. Each of those are a coil and sit on top of a spark plug. They are commonly called a COP for 'Coil On Plug' or 'Coil Over Plug', choose your poison..