General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 10:24 AM
41Clay
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting

I'm a pretty young guy compared to some of you guys, so I have little experience with driving beyond the basics. I have heard about his thing called clutchless shifting and I was just wondering what it takes to do this. Mainly upshifting. Is this even possible? Or can you just downshift without the clutch? I've never really played with it much or thought about it. Don't want to break my car either. Thanks.

Clayton

Old 03-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
shifting

Hi Clayton -

I had a clutchless stick shift car several years ago. Upshift, downshift, didn't matter. Not pushing the clutch in when shifting took some getting used but came in real handy when I broke my ankle.

That car was a blast and I never had to have a clutch put in, 60,000 + miles. Only reason I don't still have it is cause it didn't like the upsidedown swim in the canal we took it on. Go figure!

Off subject - how's your upholstry job coming along?

Old 03-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
shifting

Shifting without the clutch is not an advisable practice in today's synchromesh transmissions. It can be done, it's just a matter of learning match engine RPM to speed and timing the shift to be done at "no load" conditions, but you'd have to do it near perfect everytime. The dangers are shocking the drivetrain or damaging the synchromesh in the tranny. Use the clutch, it'll save you a big repair bill.

In heavy truck applications where there is no syncromesh, a clutchless shift is relatively simple and harmless, but even then, I'd suggest using the clutch, it just eliminates unnessary wear on the transmission and driveline when your shift isn't perfect, and no one shifts perfectly every time.

If you want a really simple explanation of the differences between manual transmissions with and without synchromesh, and how synchromesh works, go to www.howstuffworks.com and check it out.

Waxy

Old 03-28-2003, 10:38 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
shifting

It is really a sync. issue. You need to know what RPM's to shift up or down at.

I know with my truck, I can shift up quite easily without the clutch. Shifting down is a trick. I usually end up using the clutch as it is easier. When I don't I have to rev the engine a bit to shift down to sync. the motor speed with the tranny speed.

I am sure there are some proffesional drivers that can explain it allot better than I can.

Long story short, I use the clutch the majority of the time as it just works better with my driving habbits.

Old 03-28-2003, 10:44 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
shifting

Here's the link. It's really basic, but I think it gets the point across.

Double clutching is ineffective in a synchromesh transmission, that's why downshifting without the clutch is so difficult (and potentially harmful).

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

Waxy

Old 03-28-2003, 03:14 PM
41Clay
Elder User
shifting

Whoa, that transmission graphic is crazy! Awsome link!

I have a non-syncro about to be put on the road in a few years, but I'll probribly use the clutch with it. I was just courious as to the methods used to do it. Thanks for the info.

Carlene,

Ahh the upholstry. What a subject. I have one nice kick panel made, and one door panel made (opposite side). The other door panel, I don't even want to think about. I do the first one, ok, the second one... what happened?

I replaced the carpet that I already stained with the extra I had, and my how that looks nice. It seems I've gotten better at one thing. I should update my gallery sometime.

I like my progress so far (except the one door), but I'll have to wait untill May to finish the thing. My sister acctually wants to drive it to prom, lol

Clayton

Old 03-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Carlene
Admom
shifting

Clayton -

You definately need to update your gallery because I sure would like to see how it turned out. It looked like it was gonna be nice from the drawings you had.

Old 03-28-2003, 05:38 PM
truckfreak69
Posting Guru
shifting

Hey carlene, I'll be moving back down to Fla. in June!!!! I'll be on the east coast, but perhaps we could meet up someday. The one time I went to West Palm I saw nothing but yuppies, you guys must be the only rednecks there lol

Think you can upholster some seats for my ford? I got some rust too if you want practice

Lol, have a great one, do you know if that guy was able to use my drawings?

Old 03-28-2003, 05:43 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shifting

Originally posted by 41clay
I'm a pretty young guy compared to some of you.....
Clayton
Clayton, compared to most of us, just about ANYTHING is pretty!! (Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

Old 03-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Carlene
Admom
shifting

Originally posted by truckfreak69
The one time I went to West Palm I saw nothing but yuppies, you guys must be the only rednecks there lol
Hey now - we resemble that remark.

Think you can upholster some seats for my ford? I got some rust too if you want practice
Maybe next summer, but you should be by just in time to help us with ours.

Lol, have a great one, do you know if that guy was able to use my drawings?
It sure sounds like he could. I was impressed with your drawings.