6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Michelin's wore out 28,000!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by KelVarnson
I am experiencing exactly what Capt Caper is, with the outside rows almost worn completely down at 35k. And not surprising at all, given the design. If the outside rows were as deep as the inside rows, I am sure they would go to 50k or so.

I really wish I had seen this design issue before I bought the tires. And if I had seen it just after I bought the tires, I would have run them at 70-80 lbs as LMS has, which could explain his better results (i.e. more even wear).

I have a very hard time understanding why Michelin thought this was a good design. Did they think people just wouldn't notice or care when 50% of their tread face is gone at 40k?

I have been in contact with Michelin, and they are telling me to go to a dealer to get them inspected. I will be doing that soon, and will let you all know how it turns out.
Thank you. Finally someone took a good look at the facts. There is postings all over the web about these tires and no one saw what we saw. They caught parts but couldn't put it all together.
I do notice you have an 02 7.3 so Ford is wrong in blaming the high torque of these 6.7's. Also you traction probably disappeared back at 22K but you didn't put it together until it was real bad. If you really need Michelins get them to give you credit towards a new set of LTX/2 MS's. They wouldn't let me get another brand so I had to try these and they've been good enough. They gave me 50% credit towards a new set. I had 36K before they did the deed as well.
On a final note my LTX/2's have been wearing fine. I may get another set depends on priceing. I'm not sure we have 3 belts on these like the 1 gen LTX's M/S's . Michelins web site used to give that info but no more so are they hideing something or just missed posting that info. Most other manufactor's use only 2 steel belts with our E (10) ply's.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for the info. What makes it sadder for me is that two of my friends bought the same tires for their SD's based on my recommendation. After all, they did work GREAT in the rain and snow, and they ride nice and are quiet, although the ride and quietness are degrading now that the outsides are nearly worn down.

My tires look almost identical to the picture LMS posted. Plenty of tread left in the middle, but almost bald on the outside two tread surfaces. A couple of years ago I drove everywhere I wanted up in the snow with no issues. If I went up there now, the CHP would probably make me put chains on.

Regarding torque, the tires don't care what kind of engine you have, if you accelerate a 6500 lb truck up to 65 mph in 15 seconds, it is going to take the same rear-wheel torque whether it is a 7.3 or a 6.0 or a 6.4 or a V10. It's about how you drive, not what kind of engine you have. But that's probably a subject for a different thread, huh?

By the way, I am following/posting on another thread about this in the Super Duty forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-ltx-a-t2.html

Old 07-27-2011, 03:11 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying and i hate that you have had problems. I just got new tires today, here's a pic of what my Michelin AT/2's looked like:

59,023 miles
48,674 towing miles
spent it's life at 74 psi
rotated many times (every 5-7,000 miles)
Perfectly flat, no feathering, just hit the wear indicators in the middle

Most miles I have gotten on a set of tires

I just replaced today with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2, 275/65/20 (stock size)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I hear what you guys are saying and i hate that you have had problems. I just got new tires today, here's a pic of what my Michelin AT/2's looked like:

59,023 miles
48,674 towing miles
spent it's life at 74 psi
rotated many times (every 5-7,000 miles)
Perfectly flat, no feathering, just hit the wear indicators in the middle

Most miles I have gotten on a set of tires

I just replaced today with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2, 275/65/20 (stock size)

Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Ruschejj, I'd say you fared pretty well. Certainly seems like an argument for higher inflation pressure. I've run mine at 60-65 psi, but I never carry a substantial load. At about 35k, the outsides of mine look about like yours, but the inside grooves are still much deeper.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
I would like to have seen a picture of Ruschejj's tires at 36K. AnywayI always keep my tires at 75lbs as well. Rotate them the same. Even his picture shows they aren't a very good AT tire. Those outer rows are just too wide and not enough sniping for me.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Well, I rotate the tires myself and my cue to rotate them is when the front pair have rounded over edges. I cross them to the rear and leave them in the rear until they have returned to flat with no round over the edges, then I rotate again. They did not look all that different at 36K, just more tread depth.

The Bridgestones I just put on look really good, always liked their AT tires.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Which Bridgestones did you go with. I'm going to get a new set in the fall before winter hit's us up here so I'm still looking. I do mostly highway so I don't need anything agressive. I probably should stick with M/S type's like the LTX/2's or Conti TA's which Ford called an AT tire.
Like I said these LTX/2's are wearing way better then my AT/2's so If they hold up well until November I will consider them.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
My conti's on my 05 went over 50K miles - traded in before replacing, the Good Year's on my 08 went over 60K - traded in before replacing.

Hopefully my Mich's will go the distance, I don't want to trade this truck in at 20K

Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by capt caper
Like I said these LTX/2's are wearing way better then my AT/2's
When you say LTX/2's, are you by chance referring to LTX M/S2's? Because when I entered my tire size on the Michelin website (285-75 16), LTX M/S2's and LTX AT2's were the only models offered.

(I am doing the research in anticipation of possibly swinging a partial credit deal when I go see the dealer)

Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Here's the condition of my tires with around 30k on them. The outside tread bands are just about down to their substrate.

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by KelVarnson
When you say LTX/2's, are you by chance referring to LTX M/S2's? Because when I entered my tire size on the Michelin website (285-75 16), LTX M/S2's and LTX AT2's were the only models offered.

(I am doing the research in anticipation of possibly swinging a partial credit deal when I go see the dealer)
Yes LTX M/S2's. They are the only tire offered by Michelin now for this size. If you compare the LTX M/S 2's to the original LTX M/S's you'll notice a difference too. The original were much better but they don't make them in our size. It is a "Green" thing now. This is what Michelin say's about the 2's. To get this "Green" gimmick they changed the design probably for better MPG.
Ford had a TSB out on these and I believe it seemed if you complain they were to get you a deal somehow. If that fails contact Michelin themselves. That's all Sears did for me. He gave me the number I called them and then put him on the phone to back me up showing I had rotated,front end was fine and wear was even and he went on to say the sniping wasn't deep on the outer rows compared to the inner rows. If your dealer won't do it then find a tire dealer who'll agree to this and call Michelin like I did and then buy the tires from him. He must be a Michelin dealer though. Also they gave me a choice of Bridgestone because Michelin owns them but I didn't see anything there.
I see your picture and if you measure the sniping depth (Sears Manager showed me that) between the inner and outer rows (when tire is new) you'll see how the outside looses the ability for traction in short order.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Yes, the Michelin LT/X 2 tires will give you the impression that the tire is wearing out because the 2 outer tread bands will look bald approx. Half way through it's tread life.

The wear indicators are inside the middle grooves and you will see that there is a long way to go once you lose the outer band.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ruschejj
Yes, the Michelin LT/X 2 tires will give you the impression that the tire is wearing out because the 2 outer tread bands will look bald approx. Half way through it's tread life.

The wear indicators are inside the middle grooves and you will see that there is a long way to go once you lose the outer band.
?????? You mean AT/2's right? They are a poor excuse for a AT. Too much smooth surface area appears in short order.Better sniping would have made it better but not good as some other brands have in an AT tire.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Ya, my mistake, too many LT and AT things to read about.

And, the Bridgestone tires I just got are Dueler AT Revo 2 tires. My size is 275/65 20.

Quick Reply: Michelin's wore out 28,000!!!