1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Here's a video of my 49

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Here's a video of my 49

Well I got myself a new phone this past weekend with a cool camera. And my pea brain finally figured out how to post a video. Thought you guys might want to see a short video of my truck especially since I missed the Smoky Mountain show. It's completely stock and belonged to the same family since 1949. The first owner was a WWI (one) vet who sold the truck to his nephew before he died. His nephew drove it for decades before he got sick in 91 and parked it. He passed away in 92. I bought it out of the barn last summer and it was in MUCH worse shape than this. The story given to me by his daughter was that it was only painted once back in the 1980's. But I've since found a few minor body repairs and a piece of angle iron welded under the tailgate where it probably rusted out. He put the red cab liner in it when he painted it I'm sure. Comments or suggestions are welcome. I meant to do a shot of the frame but it slipped my mind. The typical surface rust and decades of grease and oil. Definitely not a show truck, but it suits me fine.

http://fordtruckvideos.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Old 06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Justin's Green Truck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like it. Nice truck.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
The truck looks and sounds fine to me. Great family heirloom.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice doc

Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,135 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Nice truck you have, looks like a blast to drive These 2 are from me but I bet you get lots of them while out driving.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I know that you as the owner can see every flaw and imperfection in the truck, but to me it looks a whole lot better than mine. Keep on truckin' and keep that beauty on the road

Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the compliments guys. I drove it to town this evening. It always turns heads. I like to see old mens' faces light up when the see it. The truck has some definite rust issues. But man id rather take a beating than dismantle a perfectly solid truck that has never been tinkered with. I just try to keep it in the dry.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 PM
shoveled71
Freshman User
What a great old truck, I wouldnt change nothing but the oil...

Old 06-28-2011, 11:38 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Doc, that is one sweet old truck!! I wouldn't change a thing.....just enjoy it! Thanks for the video.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 AM
fastphil
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright....looks great Doc!!! I'll be looking for you around Hazard, you should definitely stand out with that thing!! Great looking truck.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Thanks for the Video of your truck....sure is nice...

Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
Well I got myself a new phone this past weekend with a cool camera. And my pea brain finally figured out how to post a video. Thought you guys might want to see a short video of my truck especially since I missed the Smoky Mountain show. It's completely stock and belonged to the same family since 1949. The first owner was a WWI (one) vet who sold the truck to his nephew before he died. His nephew drove it for decades before he got sick in 91 and parked it. He passed away in 92. I bought it out of the barn last summer and it was in MUCH worse shape than this. The story given to me by his daughter was that it was only painted once back in the 1980's. But I've since found a few minor body repairs and a piece of angle iron welded under the tailgate where it probably rusted out. He put the red cab liner in it when he painted it I'm sure. Comments or suggestions are welcome. I meant to do a shot of the frame but it slipped my mind. The typical surface rust and decades of grease and oil. Definitely not a show truck, but it suits me fine.

http://fordtruckvideos.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
I'll I can say is "Wow... Where did you find a time machine to go get that truck? Can I borrow it to get me one like that?"

Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Thanks. Let's put it this way, I woke up on a saturday morning and, out of habit, picked up my computer and looked at craigslist. I saw the ad and couldn't resist but call. They sent me one picture on my phone that was very fuzzy. But I could just tell by talking to the lady and her husband that I needed to get my butt in the truck and go. I rented a uhaul on my way down and bought it out of a barn about 9 miles south of Pigeon Forge. The lady talked to me a couple times while I was driving. When I got there, she walked up and shook my hand with tears in her eyes and walked away. It was her daddy's truck. I looked the truck over with her husband and pulled her to the side. I told her that if she didn't want to sell it, I fully understood. But I also told her that I planned on fixing it and enjoying it, and I had no intentions of hot rodding it or modifying it beyond what it was. And I told her she could come visit it anytime. That seemed to help the situation and I hauled it home that evening right through all the traffic in pigeon forge. That's another reason I was so pissed when my trip to pigeon forge got messed up this weekend. I wanted to surprise her with the truck.

Hey Phil, I'll drop by sometime and show it to you. You need to see the 48 F1 that my friend just finished up on the hill down there.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Great to hear the story again, and I'm glad that you are keeping it orig. We need some around...

Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beautimus, just beautimus.
(I would recomend a dose of Dramamine before watching the Vid)