Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Sometimes no crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Headviking
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes no crank

My friends 2001 7.3 has a problem (sometimes) without warning there is no crank. He will try a couple of times and then it'll start. I came over to see if I could help. The truck started, no problem. I jiggled the key and tried it did not crank. So now we know that the problem is in the ignition key, somewhere. I tried again and no crank. I pulled up a litle on the key and tried ..it started. I pulled the ignition cylinder/key out and found a black plastic piece at the 10 o'clock area on the out side, just hanging there. tried to position it back to it place and it would not stay. removed it away from the cylinder and replaced the key/cylinder and the truck started every time. The only thing that was not right was that when the key is in and the door is open there was no chime anymore. The was was a purple and a black wire that was removed from it's position. At the end was a single bent contact.

Anyone know what this wire s and by removing it will it cause any future problems?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The black wire is a ground for the chime when the key is in the ignition and door is open. Talking to a friend of mine who is ford diesel tech, says to hook it back up and disconnect the chime it self. It will cause horn, cruise, and other issues in the electrically....if not now, eventually. Which I have noticed with my horn now. Not sure about the purple wire.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
The black wire is a ground for the chime when the key is in the ignition and door is open. Talking to a friend of mine who is ford diesel tech, says to hook it back up and disconnect the chime it self. It will cause horn, cruise, and other issues in the electrically....if not now, eventually. Which I have noticed with my horn now. Not sure about the purple wire.
I've had mine disconnected for a couple years now with no ill effect.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had mine disconnected for about 5yrs now... Within the last year its been intermittent.