Print Wikipost

5.0 LITRE TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK GONE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
5.0 LITRE TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK GONE?

Can't seem to find the dipstick to check the transmission fluid...is there one & where'd they hide it?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:36 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics of the 09 6 speed trans dip stick. - F150online Forums Should be there unless they changed it again

Old 06-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
can it be accessed under the hood or need a hoist to find it?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:05 AM
m.gil
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its gone. You can access it from under the truck with tools. Ford decided we dont need to check it anymore.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:17 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's the same for all the models with the 6-speed transmission; not engine specific.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:39 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Here's the rub. Ford give's it a 150K maintenance interval for normal duty and warranty's it for 60K and yet, we lack the ability to check fluid level. WTF?

I guess they figure if it's leaking fluid then we'll have it fixed but it still doesn't sound right.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 PM
m.gil
Freshman User
exactly, its almost like they want you to let it fail so they can turn around and say it was your fault. doesnt make any sense to me .

Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
JRTJH
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2005 Mustang GT with the 5 speed auto didn't have a dipstick either. Far as I know, Ford is removing "owner" checks for the transmission in nearly all (if not all) their vehicles. I don't think it's a good idea, but according to a service rep from Ford that I talked to about a year ago, he said that factory studies of owner maintenance habits indicated that only about 3% of owners checked transmission fluid and they could save nearly 1.5 lbs by removing the dipstick, so they went to a system of checking similar to the rear end: 2 screws, remove the top one, and fill it till it leaks back out, to drain, remove both. In 2010 the only F150 engine that had a transmission ws the 4.6L 2v (4.6 3v and 5.4 did not have a transmisison dipstick.

If I remember correctly, on my 2010 FX4 transmission fluid change is recommended at 150K miles in normal service and in towingl. In 2011, the 4wd is also 150K normal and towing. Hmmmm Wonder what happened to the "severe service" increased change interval? The oil change interval is 5K with severe service, but transmission remained the same ?????

Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 PM
m.gil
Freshman User
It not only saves on weight ,but if what i saw about ford selling 150,000 f150's a month is true ,it is also saving them a bundle on parts and labor to install it. The same holds true for some of the wiring harnesses in these trucks . certain models will have wires run in the doors to accomodate pwer mirrors and such and some dont. If they delete 8 ft of wire in 75,000 trucks per month that also would save them a bundle of cash, especially with the high price of copper. Its all about the bottom line, and the bean counters are all over that.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:59 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm guessing that in addition to saving money and a few ounces of weight, that allowing owners (or ignorant mechanics) to check fluid and get incorrect readings if they don't run the engine, etc, has caused overfilling of transmissions, addition of the wrong kind of fluid, etc, and might have actually caused more problems.

I am not a fan of removing owner access to fluid levels; BMW has eliminated engine dipsticks on some cars, and I would simply not buy any car that relies on electronics to confirm that my engine is full of oil or to make it more difficult for me to do my own maintenance.

George

Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
m.gil
Freshman User
True , but all that they have accomplished is to make it harder for the owner/ignorant mechanic to check that fluid. I agree with you though had i known there was no dipstick and that i would have to rely solely on the electronics to monitor my fluid level , I may have chosen another vehicle to spend my money on

Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Talking about eliminating items from new cars. Several car makers have eliminated spare tires from certain models such as some BMW's, Hyundai Sonata and 3 GM models.

They say it saves an average of $22.00 per car plus a bunch of weight. Some high end models offer run flat tires and others offer a flat repair kit.

What kind of BS is this!!!? Vehicles are at an all time high with lower rebates and incentives than in recent years and they're pulling this crap?!

Perhaps it's time to go find a 1980-1996 F-150 with a 300, spend the money to make it new and drive the hell out of it for years to come.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Jr.Ranger-04
Senior User
All this crap ford is doing is exatly why I don't think my next truck will be a ford, as I am into doing my own maint. and checking all fluids and Iknow very well if at 61K my tranny burns up from low fluid ford will say so sorry and I pay!!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:51 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Ford has made things more diffucult, but you can still check the fluid level of your transmission. It requires that you access the dip stick from under the truck, but it is most certainly something that you can still do. It's just a hassle.

I will see what I can extract from my pdf'd service manual.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:56 AM
m.gil
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Talking about eliminating items from new cars. Several car makers have eliminated spare tires from certain models such as some BMW's, Hyundai Sonata and 3 GM models.

They say it saves an average of $22.00 per car plus a bunch of weight. Some high end models offer run flat tires and others offer a flat repair kit.

What kind of BS is this!!!? Vehicles are at an all time high with lower rebates and incentives than in recent years and they're pulling this crap?!

Perhaps it's time to go find a 1980-1996 F-150 with a 300, spend the money to make it new and drive the hell out of it for years to come.
I'll tell ya what, I have a 33 ford w/zz4/auto/carbeurated, no electronics and I have zero issues with it. I get in turn the key and go! If i want to check my fluids i have a dipstick to do so. These automakers are incorporating so much bs in theses new vehicles that they are making it impossible to service or work on them ourselves, and the sad part is that some of the service techs at these dealerships dont have a clue how to work on them either, all they do is throw parts at it at your expense. half of them dont read tsb's when they come in or stay updated with the latest training. Back in the 80's I had a corvette with a chipped key, every once and a while it wouldnt start ,so i had it at the dealership 4 times and non of tbeir"service techs" could figure it out. One night i was in the local bar and i started talking to this guy who was a janitor at the dealership in question. I was telling him about my issue , and he knew right away what it was, he said on his break he would read all the tsb's in the office and sure enough there was one on the chip failing on the key!! He even told me how to fix it myself! Bunch of lazy f@cks in the service dept never read anything !! rant over

Quick Reply: 5.0 LITRE TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK GONE?