6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

04 6.0 possible HPOP problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:43 PM
radco99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 6.0 possible HPOP problem need help

The description is long but I have included all of the events that have taken place so please read to the end! I looked through as many articles as possible and cannot find my specific problem so here goes... 04 F350 4wd 40,000 miles... Last year saw steam from under the hood, oil in degass etc.. after alot of help from everybody here etc... was determined to need egr and oil coolers. I replaced both and thermostat, flushed etc... etc... after that no problems did 2000 miles multi states heavy load pulling a 8k boat over 1200 miles etc.. a few months ago as posted here was pulling a small load (trailer with a bobcat) locally on city streets when all of a sudden experienced loss of power would not go over 35 mph in the small hills in socal. Unfortunatly it was a 2 lane road with no place 2 pull over having not changed the fuel filters recently and having all normal readings on dummy guages proceeded to baby it home. At some point coming to a stop noticed oil presure drop instantly and engine stall. Rolled to a stop got out and found lower radiator hose blown off and engine seemed hot. Walked home and returned with water filled engine very slowly for over 45 minutes until was full. Started the truck and noticed no oil presure at idle just off idle did have presure. So babied it home 3 blocks and noticed upon manuevering truck would stall etc... Posted some of this info here and was told engine was toast but told to check oil filter standpipe. Indeed it was melted but some of it was still there. Pulled turbo, intake, oil filter housing, top cover of oil cooler cover and noticed more of the plastic so pulled the oil cooler cover and the new oil cooler (from last year) as well as egr cooler etc... as I was pulling the cooler I noticed on the front off the block a big tube of plastic as I was pulling the cooler and cover up at a slight angle. After getting it out I realized this was the end of the plastic and it had not melted down all the way only about half way down this passage. Since most off the plastic was actually melted against the cooler itself I was not able to free the cooler without damaging it. I bought a new cooler as well as the cover (complete kit) as well as a new standpipe and a new anti drainback valve for the housing as well as new oil and filter. I replaced all of the parts and of course it took a long time for it to start after that everything seems normal truck runs perfect all guages read normal test drove 30 miles no problems runs at normal temperature and no presure in radiator I am able to remove degass cap almost immedietly after shut down on a hot day here in socal. The only problem I have now is a 14 second crank time when truck is cold and 5 second or so crank time (increases as the minutes go by) that appears to be related to when the oil guage first registers. So I am assuming the oil filter housing is draining down or something else and as this seems to be a fairly unique set of events that have taken place I would appreciate some input from you experts. I did take the small aluminum plate at the bottom of the oil filter housing out when I was cleaning everything and checked the small rubber diaphrams and little brass piston and spring everything seemed normal there so I just reassembled and snapped the new drain valve back into place. I believe from what I have read here the 04's usually do not have the HPOP problems and this truck always started fine before so I need to determine what may have been damaged or what I did wrong in reassembly or what I should check thanks again to all of you for your help!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:27 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Id check your ICP and IPR

posssible that junk got on the ipr screen causing it to not work right letting the oil go to crankcase and not to the injectors

your one luck dude if that melted stand pipe didnt cause any damage
you should buy a lotto ticket

these trucks need some kinda sensor so when the coolant dumps you know it before the moter is toast
you know a pull over RIGHT NOW LIGHT when coolant gets low

Old 06-19-2011, 09:48 AM
radco99
New User
Sorry for sounding uninformed but what are the ICP and IPR I did change the HPOP screen again under the cooler as I had done last year it was o/k except for the pull loop was gummy and the screen had some slightly broken down oil on it so I put in a new one thanks K

Old 06-19-2011, 10:17 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
IPR is the valve under the turbo and has a small screen on it. It controls the flow of high pressure oil. Since your truck is an 04 it may have an 03 or 04 motor. 03 motor has the ICP sensor under the turbo close to the IPR valve. 04 and up motors have the ICP sensor on the passenger side valve cover. ICP reads what the pressure is and relays the information to the PCM which controls the IPR valve for oil flow demand. If the IPR is hung up or partially open you may barely be making enough HPO to fire the truck.

I'm seriously concerned about how far the melted standpipe made it through the motor. You could have a world of oil pressure related problems that you haven't even begun to uncover yet. There are actually 4 places your oil could be going inside the filter housing here: Page 25: Lubrication System. Did you take apart everything and check for operation in the housing?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
radco99
New User
Like I said I found all of the plastic and all of the springs settled just under the cover on top of the oil cooler cover and when I pulled the oil cooler cover I found the rest of the plastic settled against the actual cooler between the cover and cooler. The tube of plastic which was heading down the front galley stopped about half way down and I am confident this is where the melting stopped and as far as looking down the galley it was clean clear and shiny at the bottom short of weighing all of the debris and comparing it to a new standpipe we will never know but it appears by what the end of this tube of plastic looked like I feel that is wher the melting stopped. Are u saying I should pull the sensor out and check the screen and which one should I pull out; obviously the one under the turbo cannot be accessed very easily it is even hard just to undo the safety metal clip that sits on it?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 AM
radco99
New User
Also my ICP is on the right valve cover

Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
radco99
New User
Also is it possible I installed the plastic oil filter drain upside down it had 4 little fingers on it and I believe it could only be snapped in place by pointing those fingers downward not having any pictures this is how I installed it. Should I just pull the oil filter cover and see if the oil has drained down when it is cold and start there first... it seems to be the logical thing to start looking there first and determining if this is some sort of drainback issue first.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:34 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
when you pull the lid on the oil filter its going to drain anyway but check it out make shure that drainback aint hung up
btw The oil doesnt drainback when cold only should xdrain when the filter is pulled

if you have a dvom [digital volt meter] ou can check icp volts
try this
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...condition.html

Old 06-19-2011, 12:07 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Yes, definitely check the ICP voltage while cranking unless you have a scanner to check the pressure. Do that before pulling the IPR valve. It might save you a lot of time.

There isn't a screen on the ICP sensor. You need to check the IPR valve and yes, it is a pain since it's under the turbo but can be gotten to by removing the FICM and having the correct socket. If the ICP voltage is under .8 then pull the IPR and check the screen for damage. It's possible that it's covered in trash/plastic. It's fairly common after an oil cooler change (even though a year ago).

Old 06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
radco99
New User
Thanks, but what about my other questions with regard to draining back etc it appears to be the issue because of the fact that if you shut down it will restart right away and if you wait any period of time it takes longer to restart and this is linear to the time after shutting down and restarting 1 minute or so 4 seconds to start 3 minutes 5-6 seconds etc...

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
IPR is the valve under the turbo and has a small screen on it. It controls the flow of high pressure oil. Since your truck is an 04 it may have an 03 or 04 motor. 03 motor has the ICP sensor under the turbo close to the IPR valve. 04 and up motors have the ICP sensor on the passenger side valve cover. ICP reads what the pressure is and relays the information to the PCM which controls the IPR valve for oil flow demand. If the IPR is hung up or partially open you may barely be making enough HPO to fire the truck.

I'm seriously concerned about how far the melted standpipe made it through the motor. You could have a world of oil pressure related problems that you haven't even begun to uncover yet.

There are actually 4 places your oil could be going inside the filter housing here: Page 25: Lubrication System. Did you take apart everything and check for operation in the housing?
read this last paragraph please.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:12 PM
radco99
New User
I did and I also looked at the graphic do you think the drainback valve may be the culprit or is it possible I installed the plastic 4 fingered valve upside down? that was what I was asking you to clarify as in the picture I cannot tell from the picture which way it should go and since it was out of it's place upon teardown I did not have a sample to go by. I did disassemble everything and cleaned everything the rubber diaphrams and brass colored piston as well as the spring appeared o/k so I reassembled in reverse?

Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
how much of the oil cooler/oil filter mounting tops did you replace

I take it you reused the oil filter mount assembl;y

did you see any plastic in the oil when you changed the oil

Old 06-19-2011, 01:36 PM
radco99
New User
I did reuse the oil filter housing and the lower plate where the standpipe mounts to I replaced the oil cooler and the cover for the oil cooler comes as a kit from Ford as well as all of the o rings and seals The oil other than being very dirty and smelling like it had been burned had no debris of any kind in it the oil galley under the oil cooler was clean as well and the HPOP filter was pretty clean as stated previously I changed it anyway

Old 06-19-2011, 03:47 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
well from what your describing it does sound like the oil is bleeding off somewhere

if you didnt find any stand pipe plastic on the ss screen at the bottom of the oil cooler assembly at least the plastic srapnel didnt go thru the moter

but the oil drainback could be hanging up and not sealing right IDK

you need to check icp volts to help determine the condition of the IPR and HPO system
Id check ICP/IPR and repair if needed the IPR silinoid It could have got trash in screen

holdthe drain back down with a screwdriver and crank it till it fills alittle with oil it should hold oil if its draining off it shouldnt

Quick Reply: 04 6.0 possible HPOP problem need help