1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trans test port for temp reading but....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Viper2F350dually
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans test port for temp reading but....

Hey guys, Ok so after getting the dreaded leak from trans pump seal while hauling, I've replaced it and bush along with TransGo Tugger HD2, TRU-COOL Max cooler (fitted after stock cooler) and have fitted a Phantom trans temp gauge with the temp sensor located at the test port (driver side on trans pan) fitted there after reading on these threads, but here is my concern/question?

When fitting only a drip of trans fluid came from the hole, so I'm guess the temp sensor is NOT fully submerged in fluid and surely therefore giving a false reading? is this the case and if so why would people fit it there.

Of course I maybe wrong and hope for somebody to advise.

I've not had any readings yet as I only completed install last night which Inc sinking gauge into dash to look kinda factory.

I dropped it of at garage this morning for front wheel bearing replacement as we go away this weekend with 5th wheel to a big American car show (I'm in UK) but it was only a 3 mile drive and reading never left 100.

On a side note, can't say I'm impressed by TransGo, some sort of hole reduction part for valve body was missing from kit, when we rang and stated a part on page 4 was missing what do we do, the guy knew exactly what was missing as if its a common issue and knew what to do, also I thought (judging on there video) that there should have been a selection of valve body gaskets, but we had none?

Not really what I'd expect for a so called quality item, but hey live and learn

Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
You'll be fine with the sensor in the test port. There are probably thousands of PSD's running around with sensors installed in that same spot.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The port is the same temp as the fluid. No worries.

It will take more than 3 miles to heat up the trans fluid.

Give it a chance and see what happens with a longer trip.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Viper2F350dually
Senior User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
You'll be fine with the sensor in the test port. There are probably thousands of PSD's running around with sensors installed in that same spot.
Yes, thats what I figured, its just when I did it I expected a load of fluid pouring out lol!!

Originally Posted by miller_feed
The port is the same temp as the fluid. No worries.

It will take more than 3 miles to heat up the trans fluid.

Give it a chance and see what happens with a longer trip.
Yep, understand that, yesterday I noticed pulling 5th wheel 6 miles, then reversing for 60 seconds it must warms things alot quicker, because 30 minutes later I went under to connect wire to sensor and noticed the sump was pretty hot, enough for me to flinch at least.

tomorrow I'm making a 160 mile drive with loaded truck and 5th wheel so what temps should I be seeing? bearing in mind I'm running two coolers and tugger kit.

My phantom temp read out goes 100-250 or maybe 260 can't recall which.

I'm just a bit scared that if job was done proper? I have driven approx 250 miles since the work but without trailer or heavy load

Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

If you are on flat land, I would expect to see temps pulling the 5er around 160* to 170* depending on outside temps. If you are pulling hills, you may get a little hotter, but nothing in the 220*+ range unless you are pulling mountains. lol

Old 06-15-2011, 11:52 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Make sure it's properly filled. I know when I installed my sensor quite a bit of fluid came out. Maybe it's cause my truck was already warmed up?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bulla
Make sure it's properly filled. I know when I installed my sensor quite a bit of fluid came out. Maybe it's cause my truck was already warmed up?
I've never had more than a dribble come out.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM
trackspeeder
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the engine off there is no pressure at the port. Little to no fluid will come out.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Viper2F350dually
When fitting only a drip of trans fluid came from the hole, so I'm guess the temp sensor is NOT fully submerged in fluid and surely therefore giving a false reading?
The fluid level is below the port. The port is in the line pressure circuit, so if you want to see fluid come out of there start the engine with that port open! You'll drain so much fluid so fast you'll be amazed.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Viper2F350dually
Senior User
Okay cool guys thanks for the test port info and all, I didn't know any of that.

So, here goes 12hrs till 1st trip out in our 12,000Ib 5th wheel trailer since the trans pump seal vomited on a 10% climb 1 mile hill.

Can't help it but worry as its a darn nightmare getting recovered. last break down took 3 days to be recovered from camp site, sadly the UK is not set up for 34ft 5th wheel trailers and heavy pick ups lol!! pick up is too heavy for our common recovery trucks and last time the trailer was recovered by a 30 ton Volvo wreaker rig which normally recovers big rigs with trailers.

I hope my faith will return after this trip...if all goes well of course

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by Viper2F350dually
Okay cool guys thanks for the test port info and all, I didn't know any of that.

So, here goes 12hrs till 1st trip out in our 12,000Ib 5th wheel trailer since the trans pump seal vomited on a 10% climb 1 mile hill.

Can't help it but worry as its a darn nightmare getting recovered. last break down took 3 days to be recovered from camp site, sadly the UK is not set up for 34ft 5th wheel trailers and heavy pick ups lol!! pick up is too heavy for our common recovery trucks and last time the trailer was recovered by a 30 ton Volvo wreaker rig which normally recovers big rigs with trailers.

I hope my faith will return after this trip...if all goes well of course
Keep us up to date as you progress on this trip. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Give'r her hell Viper and don't look back! As far as tranny temps are concerned I see 70-80 degree above OAT (outside air temps) when unloaded, sometimes a bit higher if driving stop & go around town. It does take a good 5-10 miles to warm up before registering on the gauge and during the winter months sometimes it will never leave the 100 degree mark. Towing temps are affected by a few different factors. On the flats with our 5th wheel at 70-75 mph it can range from 70-90 degrees above OAT. She'll get 10-20 degrees hotter than that when in the hills/higher grades or when the airflow over the coolers is reduced. She really heats up in reverse - but you noticed that.

HAve a great trip........

I pulled a camper once in Germany - I don't envy you in the traffic/tight roads of the UK!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 AM
Viper2F350dually
Senior User
Thanks for all the info.

Good news we arrived at the American car show in good time and as for temps? we bearly went over 150, seemed to sit at around 145 and climb to 155 on minor hills and stop start driving, English weather is lame so dont think its any warmer than 70-75.

This was with 4 passengers a full tank of diesel (which cost me $350 to fill approx!!!) and trailer loaded with bikes/toys and general junk lol!!

So seems the Tru-cool and tugger and doing well and best of all no leaks!!

Monday we do the drive back home.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Viper2F350dually
Senior User
Well to conclude all was well, return trip we hit 165 max, due to mainly up hill return and a lot of stop start.

Only downer was the british weather that kept a lot of classics away from show but still a nice turn out of over 150 vehicles.

some examples

Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonderd where they all went! Nice looking show! Where was your rig? You could have gotten Clarkson down there to direct James May backing it into the camping space for you!...lol

Quick Reply: Trans test port for temp reading but....