1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

failed emissions again

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
failed emissions again

All right so my truck failed emissions about a week ago i had posted, i am waiting to get into the Colorado power stroke club to see if i can find some help there but i replaced my air filter ran some PS diesel additive and took it down. My air filter was super clogged. When she was testing it the tube for the exsost fell off and she said it was still failing because it is spiting out black smoke. I asked her how high on the RPM's she goes and she said all the way to 6, i always thought the turbo would blow if you go higher then 3000 but i don't know. I don't know what could be causing this now it has always passed, any ideas on what i can do????

Old 06-14-2011, 02:08 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
replace your air filter and go to another inspection shop. Or complain to the manager of that one but it won't do you any good. The air filter will likely take care of the smoke. The idiot trying to run it to 6k rpm needs a kick in the teeth. That said it shouldn't go that high. The computer won;t let it.

nevermind on the air filter, I just reread it and you already replaced it. Have you run diagnostics on the engine yet? I would start there. Lots of things can make it smoke but this should tell you something about where to start. Pull codes and do a buzz test and cylinder balance test.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
ok so that's sounds like my next step, i am waiting to be able to post on the colo power stroke club to see if some one can help me test it cause i dont have any of the equipment to do it. I have just never had this problem before its always past e-test, never had it fail till this year, thank for the advice.

Originally Posted by RRranch
replace your air filter and go to another inspection shop. Or complain to the manager of that one but it won't do you any good. The air filter will likely take care of the smoke. The idiot trying to run it to 6k rpm needs a kick in the teeth. That said it shouldn't go that high. The computer won;t let it.

nevermind on the air filter, I just reread it and you already replaced it. Have you run diagnostics on the engine yet? I would start there. Lots of things can make it smoke but this should tell you something about where to start. Pull codes and do a buzz test and cylinder balance test.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
If she's trying to get to 6k on all diesels, she should be fired (or kicked in the teeth like rrranch said, sounds more fun) before she blows one up.. Evidently she knows absolutely nothing about vehicles. Hope you can get someone to help you on the colorado powerstroke club.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:31 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
If she's trying to get to 6k on all diesels, she should be fired (or kicked in the teeth like rrranch said, sounds more fun) before she blows one up.. Evidently she knows absolutely nothing about vehicles. Hope you can get someone to help you on the colorado powerstroke club.
Ya i dont know whatb her deal is but i was thinking how can i report her before she blows up some ones truck, my truck only goes to 4 and its in the red and i never let the rpm go over 2500 it just seems like after that its over reving and she is putting it under load when she is testing it. i wont be going there again anytime soon, i have been going to the same place for years and never had them run it like

Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
so i am going to call and complain but i need to know what the highest even in an e-test should the rpm go, any one used to do e-test on these diesels i would appreciate the info so i can stop this lady from blowing up some ones truck

Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
I wouldn't think it should be anymore than 3k but I've never had to take a test like that. Hopefully someone else can tell you what they have experienced. Up here in the middle of nowhere, they don't require things like that.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
ok so i just called and i guess it was miss communication, i guess they take it up to 60 mph in what ever gear it will go that fast in then they go down from there, but i know she ran it past 3000 i have never gotten into my truck that hard and i have done some prety crazy stuf in it. the owner is going to test it instead of his wife i guess but i am going to run some bg44k and see how that does. I still would like suggestions on how to get it to pass i herd two gallons of ethanol works but im not sure about that either

Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Never heard the ethanol thing, that scares me a little though.. Wish I could be more help, but I don't know for sure. Fresh oil and fuel filter can't hurt.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:11 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Never heard the ethanol thing, that scares me a little though.. Wish I could be more help, but I don't know for sure. Fresh oil and fuel filter can't hurt.
about the oil im going to change it before i go again, so i was thinking about using that royal purple oil, any got anything on that i herd it real good stuff. If its not good stuf what is the best oil i can put in my truck for a resonable price, i am pushing 243,*** miles

Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Don't know much about the royal purple, I don't know if it has the right additives to prevent foaming, probably does but I don't know. Schaffers makes a real good oil, rotella synthetic is pretty good and easier to get too. I just run 15/40 rotella. I think if I were you I'd just change it with what you usually use. What do you run for oil?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:39 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Don't put anything in your tank except fresh fuel. If you can get your hands on soe commercially made biodiesel that will help too. Fill the tanks to at least 50/50. I'd go straight bio. On mine it burns cleaner than anything. All those fuel additives are scams. Some of them I have found out ARE bio diesel. Go figure.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:39 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I personally wouldn't do the ethanol thing. That just sounds like a horrible idea to me.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
I usualy use costrol heavy duty 15w40 but i dont think thats that grate of oil but my truck runs fine and does not realy burn that much oil, i want to go to synthetic i should of done it a long time ago. i checked auto zone.com and they dont have the 15w40 rottela oi, im going to check napa and oriely.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
f-250diesel
Senior User
I said the same thing about the ethenal, i have herd a lot of good about the bg44k tho thats what i had a couple people tell me

Quick Reply: failed emissions again