1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is it worth it?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:26 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it worth it?

Got a line on a 48-50 F1 possibly for sale about 10 miles from where I would park it. I have seen the truck and it looks very complete (entire drive train, cab, fenders, hood, bed, etc...). The cab is ruined. It is caved in pretty good right behind the drivers door and I'm pretty sure it can't be fixed. The rest of the body is rusty but I think it is mostly surface rust. It is a V8 truck and has everything under the hood except the radiator. The flathead is the main reason I am considering it. I have heard throught the grapevine that the owner offered the truck to another man a few years ago for about $500. What do you guys think without pics. I have seen the truck but I don't want to walk up and start taking pics without talking to the owner first.

I have a 49 that I have been working on and it has come time for an engine decision. I have a 71 460 that I originally wanted to use, but here lately, a flattie has been very tempting. I started to ask this question on the HAMB but I didn't want to get the "if you don't use the flattie you won't be man enough to be part of our he-man women haters club". One thing the 460 has going for it is the fact that for the most part, you can walk in a major auto parts store and get what you need for a 460. This would be handy if I were in East Bumble and had a breakdown on Saturday afternoon. The HP's not bad either.

I am pretty sure that between scraping the cab and parting the rest out, I can make $500 and maybe then some. What would you guys do?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not much up on the early Trucks becouse of my personal taste's, but I can't imagine it being anything less then a great to excellent deal. One way or another.

I agree with you about the 460 becouse parts are much easier to get on the road, but I will add that the 460 is a better motor for driving. Even a Y block is a good jump in technology over a flattie. Also you got the FE, 351W, 351C, 400M, and if you love wild things a 461 MEL engine.

I think flatties are one of the coolest looking motors, but they are a bit of a enthuiest motor. Much like VW air-cooleds just not as bad. If you don't love them you will soon hate them.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
F1 parts if in decent shape should definitly sell easily, fenders, grill, etc front axle and or assembly. Go into the deal assuming the block is cracked and only worth what the parts are worth off it and you'll do just fine.
now go get that truck!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Sight unseen it's probably worth 500 bucks. But don't be surprised if he doesn't try to elevate that price (especially if he knows you are working on one already). As far as the flathead goes, they're great. I'm convinced that some men would literally walk by a group of naked good looking women just to look at a flattie (not me personally, but just saying....)

EDIT: One thing the 460 does NOT have going for it is probably fuel mileage and the required modifications that come with the engine and tranny (don't forget it) swap.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:23 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Get the truck for $500. You can recoup more than half your money just on the steering box/column, brakes, transmission crossmember and a few other small pieces. If it has original 16" wheels, then add another $200 or so to your recouperation.

If I were, I'd tell the owner that you'll be working on it and it will need everything redone. Don't tell him that it'll be a parts truck.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Get the truck for $500. You can recoup more than half your money just on the steering box/column, brakes, transmission crossmember and a few other small pieces. If it has original 16" wheels, then add another $200 or so to your recouperation.

If I were, I'd tell the owner that you'll be working on it and it will need everything redone. Don't tell him that it'll be a parts truck.

Ya I forgot about the steering box.
but just how much are 16" wheels selling for out West?? $50 each?
last 2 I bought were $20 each already sanblasted or beadblasted. now I have a few more that I've collected for my 51.

Speaking of parts trucks here is one I drug home on Sunday. I paid about $ 20-84 more than scrap price depending on the day; $420

hasn't been registered since 61 and supposedly has been sitting under some oak trees that entire time. I believe it too since it had about 8" of nice composted leaves and mulch inside the cab on the floor

Also has 53 EAB flathead in it (froze up) which looks to me like they never competed the swap; hooking everything up?? maybe why it was left to rot away?

cab and bed is not in good shape couple of fenders are ok, not in the best of shape overall for any of it, but I needed the spare tire carrier and I always love messin with the flatheads so I couldn't resist!

also has a couple 16" wheels, the one in the bed has a rust hole in it though.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,374 Posts
Just about any of these old trucks are worth $500. Obviously, the cheaper-the better, but if there's parts on it you can use and then sell some to recoup your investment, that's a good deal. Recently, I paid $400 for one in about the same shape as the one Josh just picked up, and the seller delivered it 220 miles for me, to boot. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
If the truck pictured above sat under an oak tree that long anywhere east of the Mississippi river, that trailer would be hauling a load of scrap metal and rust instead of a truck.

You guys were mentioning those 16 inch rims. I agree. They are becoming hard to find. In the course of a year, I've found 2 good useable 16 inch rims. The final one I needed was at the F100 supernationals swap meet.

Hey thendrix, if you don't buy that truck, give me a yell. I might just have "Georgia on my mind". Otherwise, I could sure use a good 48-50 hood.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
Sight unseen it's probably worth 500 bucks. But don't be surprised if he doesn't try to elevate that price (especially if he knows you are working on one already). As far as the flathead goes, they're great. I'm convinced that some men would literally walk by a group of naked good looking women just to look at a flattie (not me personally, but just saying....)

EDIT: One thing the 460 does NOT have going for it is probably fuel mileage and the required modifications that come with the engine and tranny (don't forget it) swap.
I'll see the flattie after the naked women... I would try to coach the ladies over to the vehicle with the flattie and snap a few pics for my bro here on FTE... But that is a dream... If I didn't have an engine in my truck I would love to find a flattie (I6 or V8).

Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountaindoc
If the truck pictured above sat under an oak tree that long anywhere east of the Mississippi river, that trailer would be hauling a load of scrap metal and rust instead of a truck.

Otherwise, I could sure use a good 48-50 hood.
You got that right!!

If I get the truck you'll have first crack at the hood.

I am going to see if I can track down the owner in the next few days. Maybe I'll have to clean out a spot to make room for a new truck!

Next question: How do you brake it to the wife? If Bob is around we had a discussion about this not to long ago. I wonder if he would give the same offer my way.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:55 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's what I do. I tell her that I'm going to pick up a truck for cheap, spend the weekend dismantling, then start selling parts. After I break even and make a little bit of money, I'll either take her out for a nice evening or give her some $$ to go to the mall. It's a form of racketeering on her end, but it works.

It helps that I pretty much make money on everything that I drag home and she knows it from past experience. I'm up to the point now that I can drag anything home without her complaining (too much). It's all in the training and conditioning.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the truck I say flattie, flattie, flattie...

Regarding the naked women... maybe not so flattie!

Regarding the wife... walk softly, she might carry a big stick

Good luck!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
I am not much up on the early Trucks becouse of my personal taste's, but I can't imagine it being anything less then a great to excellent deal. One way or another.

I agree with you about the 460 becouse parts are much easier to get on the road, but I will add that the 460 is a better motor for driving. Even a Y block is a good jump in technology over a flattie. Also you got the FE, 351W, 351C, 400M, and if you love wild things a 461 MEL engine.

I think flatties are one of the coolest looking motors, but they are a bit of a enthuiest motor. Much like VW air-cooleds just not as bad. If you don't love them you will soon hate them.

I take it you've never driven one as a daily driver. 460's rock, but 8 mpg sucks. The flathead will double that and the sound is unlike any other engine. Also they're absolutely reliable and will start when nothing else will - even at -20F.

You'd be surprised at how many parts you can get from NAPA so it's not quite like finding a needle in the proverbial haystack.

The wife thing is only a problem until you have 3 or 4 old trucks. Then she will mentally bunch them into "your old trucks" instead of counting individual rigs. Buy a couple more - you're almost there!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Wow, I guess lots of you guys are needing hood trim! Sorry my pm inbox is full and I can't access it from my phone, the trim pieces are scraped up and dented, maybe usable? But not for a show truck.

Anyway I will reply to everyone that's emailed me later when I'm at my computer. I'm at the hospital, my wife was in an accident on her way home from work today so going to be here until tommorrow it looks like , she'll be ok I think. Just got the xrays and catscan back and alls good there so the backboard is off but not the neck brace.
Later
Josh

Gotta love all the crazy people you see coming into the ER!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:26 AM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Josh I hope she is ok.
Buy her flowers on me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it worth it?