1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

03 expedition turn signal instrument light

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:31 PM
deadstick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 expedition turn signal instrument light

Hello,

My left turn signal on the instrument/gauge panel does not light up. All outside turn signal bulbs work it's just the inside bulb indicator on the gauge. The right side indicator not he gauge works. I believe the bulb has burnt out and needs replacing.

Anyone have instructions on how to replace a instrument panel bulb for a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition? Searching around I couldn't find anything for this model year. I suspect it requires part of the dash to be pulled. Also if you know what part # to replace the turn signal indicator with and whether it can be obtained at any parts store vs just the dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:16 PM
High_Horse
Elder User
Most all vehicles dashes simply are held together by just a few screws and then they pull apart. Usually by checking around under the instrument dash you may see a couple, remove them then get your fingers under the panel and slowly work it out. Being careful to look to see if you may have missed a screw that may be hidden. After that the instrument cluster is generally kept in by 4 hex head screws. Remove them but be careful pulling the cluster forward, there's a ribbon tape attached for your functions, just roll it forward and you'll see the bulb compartment bezels.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 AM
deadstick
New User
Originally Posted by High_Horse
Most all vehicles dashes simply are held together by just a few screws and then they pull apart. Usually by checking around under the instrument dash you may see a couple, remove them then get your fingers under the panel and slowly work it out. Being careful to look to see if you may have missed a screw that may be hidden. After that the instrument cluster is generally kept in by 4 hex head screws. Remove them but be careful pulling the cluster forward, there's a ribbon tape attached for your functions, just roll it forward and you'll see the bulb compartment bezels.
Thanks for the reply. This will get me in the right direction. Anyone have detailed info for this particular model year or any words of wisdom that have gone through the dash removal process and further?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 PM
deadstick
New User
So I tackled this job this morning and in the spirit of spreading knowledge, I'll describe what I did.

Auto Type: 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
Problem: Left turn signal bulb on gauge cluster burnt out
Procedure:

1) This video YouTube - ‪03 04 05 06 FORD EXPEDITION HEAD UNIT REMOVAL‬‏ gives you a good view of what to do to remove part of the dash to get access to the gauge cluster
2) Put you gear stick in the fully down position (gear 1). To do this you can press the hidden button (covered by plug) on the bottom side of the steering column. Your owners manual describes this button. I also disconnected -ve battery lead to turn power off.
3) You need to remove the dash to get at the gauge cluster. There are 2 bolts holding the dash located in the gauge arch part of the dash (see video)
4) After removing the bolts, the rest of the dash is clipped in and you can pry it off using your fingers
5) Electrical plugs are attach to the back of the dash and I removed as much as needed to get access to the gauge cluster. For me this was everything except the AC electrical connectors
6) The dash should just come right off. If you haven't got your gear stick all the way down and steering column all the way down it makes it hard to come off so do this
7) At this point the dash is off and the gauge cluster exposed. It is held down by 2 bolts at the bottom. Unscrew these and the gauge cluster can be pulled out. There are electrical connectors attached so if you need complete access you will likely need to unplug these. For me I just needed access to the turn signal bulbs at top of cluster so didn't need to detach electrical plugs
8) The bulbs are easily accessed from the back of the cluster. Use needle nose plyers to turn anticlockwise and pull to remove
9) I used replacement Eiko 74 bulbs bought from local parts store
10) Reverse procedure to put back together

Pretty easy to do and saved me a bunch of money for a shop to do it

Old 06-12-2011, 04:45 PM
High_Horse
Elder User
Nice work deadstick....