1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Starter solenoid? Checking starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:34 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Starter solenoid? Checking starter?

A 223 in our '56 used to crank and run perfectly. I just got it ready to run a few days ago and with a low-ish battery it cranked 2 cranks at most and then started making a buzzing sound from the starter solenoid.

We've tried 2 different good charged batteries, and jumping the starter with jumper cables, and the starter/motor won't turn over.

How do I test the starter solenoid and test the starter? Thank you very much.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH
A 223 in our '56 used to crank and run perfectly. I just got it ready to run a few days ago and with a low-ish battery it cranked 2 cranks at most and then started making a buzzing sound from the starter solenoid.

We've tried 2 different good charged batteries, and jumping the starter with jumper cables, and the starter/motor won't turn over.

How do I test the starter solenoid and test the starter? Thank you very much.
The easiest thing to do is replace the solenoid, this sounds like the problem.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Just for grins you might try whacking the starter with a hammer. Sometimes on low voltage the starter bendex will engage the flywheel and not retract and hang. Sometimes you can give it a whack and knock it loose. If it's hung you will hear a thunk when it comes loose. You can also put the truck in gear and rock it back and forth and see if it will pop loose.
Just a thought. Good luck
Larry

Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Already whacked it, and removed it and replaced with another starter that also worked fine before. Both do the same thing and simply have a loud buzz from the solenoid.

I'll look into that on monday. Thanks you very much guys.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a pair of regular pliers W/O insulated handles and touch one of the handles to one big post of the solenoid, then the other handle to the other big post and the starter should go. The current will flow through the pliers. If it does not then you have loose connections somewhere between the battery and the starter or bad brushes in the starter.

Be careful with the pliers. They will get hot pretty fast. Also make sure the truck is out of gear.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Thanks a ton Steve! First thing I try today!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Change the solenoid. It's pretty obvious that is your problem.

Hey morotbreath, would you mind giving us an update on those previous questions and problems you've raised lately? In particular, the rear brake light issue, the brake issue, the temperature sender issue, and this one? We all like to help each other, but we also appreciate some feeback on the final outcome.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Gosh, I need to finish my threads one at a time, don't I!?!

I'll get to that.

We have tried to jump the starter a few times and all we get is an arc back, the starter doesn't budge. I am taking the starter to get tested by a shop as we speak, but I really don't know what it could be. I believe the solenoid is just fine, something else is bad. All grounds are verified to be good.
Honestly I'm at a loss for now.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the starter turns out to be good, look again at your grounds between the starter and battery. I helped a neighbor last weekend. His ground cable was way under sized and corrosion had built up under the connection. Looked good, but grounding was the problem. For a quick ground check use your battery jumper cables and attach to the starter and to the battery ground. It will bypass all the grounds for the starter.

If you don't have a VDC meter take a tail-light bulb and cut a couple wires, say three feet long. Solder one wire to the base and the other to the end of the bulb. Wrap with tape to prevent ground accidents. Attach small alligater clips to the ends. Now you have a cheap meter to trouble shoot electrical problems. Bulb on/ bulb off chuck

Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
^Wow, you electric guru's are too cool. I mean I understand some electrical by common sense, but the rest is just gibberish.

Starter was tested and is perfect. We'll be picking up a new solenoid today or tomorrow. I'll get back to this when the problem is fixed.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
So the pliers worked?

Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Actually, no. No way we tried jumping the starter worked. My father and I are still stumped. No way could we figure out how to test the thing, so Autozone did it for us; the starter is perfect.

Honestly I can't believe I can't figure out how to properly test a starter....I've done it to a new camaro, but can't do it to a 55 year old ford that is about as (electrically) complex as a rock.

UPDATE: Ok, replaced starter solenoid with a new one and truck cranks! Problem fixed. Thanks all for the quick responses and ideas!!!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH
Actually, no. No way we tried jumping the starter worked. My father and I are still stumped. No way could we figure out how to test the thing, so Autozone did it for us; the starter is perfect.

Honestly I can't believe I can't figure out how to properly test a starter....I've done it to a new camaro, but can't do it to a 55 year old ford that is about as (electrically) complex as a rock.

UPDATE: Ok, replaced starter solenoid with a new one and truck cranks! Problem fixed. Thanks all for the quick responses and ideas!!!
There yuh go.....great news!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Mcnewt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little More Info Please

I've already ordered a new solenoid, but thought I would go ahead and dig a little on this subject. When I jump the solenoid (used a screwdriver from the start button post to the starter post on the solenoid) all I hear is a bump of the starter. Confirm for me that is all that is supposed to happen. I assume because the push button is not engaged that the starter won't continue to turn over. I am charging the battery(it may be low) and clearly I have an bad solenoid, but want to make sure my starter is still good without pulling it if possible.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:44 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
It appears (you don't say) that you have a 48-50 truck? If you have an original solenoid (or original type), it operates by grounding the small terminal on the solenoid.

Quick Reply: Starter solenoid? Checking starter?