Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

My New '73

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 PM
HighboyMac
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yes...no doubt it is a very nice truck. Honestly ...don't worry about what frame is under it. No joke. What makes a truck a 3/4 or 1 ton is the suspension and the gears. You could take a legitimate 3/4 ton...and put a Ford 9" under it ....and wah lah it is a 1/2 ton. A truck is only as strong as it's axles regardless of the frame.. It is a non issue.

You have a wonderful truck...and is certainly pretty to be sure. Regardless of what it says on the side....or what the previous owner says...the axles make it a half ton...so don't load it like a 1 ton....mmmkay

Coming from a guy that loaded his Highboy to 10,800 gross pounds....and broke 3 wheel studs.... Treat that beauty as a half ton.

Cheers
Mac.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Big73
Freshman User
huh...interesting stuff, i'm looking forward to learning all of this kind of stuff over the next few months. I realized I only said the 9" rear was "built", i guess i should specify: The rear end in this truck is a Mark Williams (I'll get the model number tonight hopefully) custom built 9" rear, the gears are Richmond 4:11's, and I believe the axles are custom forged 40 spliners, but i'll have to ask what the company that made them was again...cause i don't remember!

Also, the truck came with a nice sized haul of parts, including something like 12 brand new skyjacker shocks, as well as brackets to do a multishock setup in the rear...hehe...hehehe...

oh and thanks for the advice, i'm definitely going to treat her like a baby, but she'll still get to flex her muscles every once in a while!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Big73
Freshman User
updaaaaaaate

built an exhaust for the truck monday night. It only had hooker comp headers on it (the ones with a stepped down 2.5 inch slip fit collector)...nothing after that. Now it's a dual 2.5 inch system with no x or h pipe run up along the frame rails to two dynomax race bullet mufflers and then enough pipe to get the exhaust past the back end of the cab. For now i'm going to run turndowns and just the bullets, i may add additional mufflers and cutouts before those second mufflers later, but that's down the road (when i get tired of the volume, cause this is bearable, but that's just for now!).

Today i got a little title issue straightened out and got my street rod tags from mva. I got the back tag bolted up no problem, but i need to find those little plastic jobs that snap into the holes in the bumper to get the front tag on (stupid maryland front tag law). I also found a wingnut in our random collection of hardware that threaded on perfectly to the air cleaner stud...so now i have an air cleaner...yeah!

I'll be picking up a bunch of parts this sunday probably, including the mirror brackets and an hid kit for the truck. So i'll update sunday or monday with what i've gotten done. If i can i'll get pics of the exhaust and a video or two for sound so you guys can hear what this motor sounds like...i think you'll like it!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 AM
HighboyMac
Junior User
Originally Posted by Big73
built an exhaust for the truck monday night. It only had hooker comp headers on it (the ones with a stepped down 2.5 inch slip fit collector)...nothing after that. Now it's a dual 2.5 inch system with no x or h pipe run up along the frame rails to two dynomax race bullet mufflers and then enough pipe to get the exhaust past the back end of the cab. For now i'm going to run turndowns and just the bullets, i may add additional mufflers and cutouts before those second mufflers later, but that's down the road (when i get tired of the volume, cause this is bearable, but that's just for now!).

Today i got a little title issue straightened out and got my street rod tags from mva. I got the back tag bolted up no problem, but i need to find those little plastic jobs that snap into the holes in the bumper to get the front tag on (stupid maryland front tag law). I also found a wingnut in our random collection of hardware that threaded on perfectly to the air cleaner stud...so now i have an air cleaner...yeah!

I'll be picking up a bunch of parts this sunday probably, including the mirror brackets and an hid kit for the truck. So i'll update sunday or monday with what i've gotten done. If i can i'll get pics of the exhaust and a video or two for sound so you guys can hear what this motor sounds like...i think you'll like it!

I am sure THAT sounds great. I always liked those mufflers. Good choice!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Big73
Freshman User
Update with tons of pics!

Thanks man!

I've been playing around with the fuel system a little bit, because the truck was having some issues running/idling and would surge really badly once I put a good amount of load on it (3rd gear trying to accelerate at all). I've played around with the carb settings the other night after cleaning the small Edelbrock fuel filter right in front of the carb (it was very clogged). I got the truck to fire right up and idle very nicely, but it still surges once I put sufficient load on it. Tomorrow I'm going to replace the rubber line that goes from the metal line to the fuel pump, and clean the carb out real well to see if i can get the surging to quit. I'm pretty sure that line is just disintegrating rapidly and letting little pieces get pulled up into the filter in front of the carb, and really little pieces are probably getting through and getting trapped in the bowl, causing it to stick. So I'll update on that tomorrow night.

I took a bunch of pics for the insurance company today, so they know what it looks like in case something happens. So I'll post those up; i haven't gotten any good pics of the underbelly of the truck yet, because I haven't been able to get it on a lift yet (but soon!).

Oh and as a note, the interior hasn't been finished yet, as you will be able to tell. The truck has newer carpet, and was repainted inside the cab, but it needs some seat upholstery and some miscellaneous parts to finish it up.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 AM
shookdaddy
Senior User
dude this baby is awesome i had a 79 acouple of years ago it had a 429 cj 9in lift w the same wheel n tire combo luvn the mickeys mine had 3in exhaust w the dynomax bullets coming out in front of the rear tires n she sounded bad a$$ lol its something about these old truck n mickeys it makes them look like a steam roller coming towards u n those tires will last forever unless u flex its muscles alil to much lol

Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Damn, she is a beaut and a brute all at the same time. That's a real nice looking rig you got there.

Last edited by AK FORD GUY; 06-22-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: retardedness.......
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Big73
Freshman User
Thanks guys! Right now the exhaust runs a little past the front edge of the bed and then i just put two turndowns on it. I may eventually run it all the way out the back or dump it out in front of the tires, but i haven't decided yet so for now i'm going to leave it as is

Old 06-22-2011, 11:33 AM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Great looking truck! Now I have an idea how high mine will sit when it is finished. I really like the look with the sun visor, I think I might have to find one now!

Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should be able to get those plastic inserts for the front tag at any local parts store in the help section, I know NAPA has them for sure...

BTW Darn nice truck!!!!!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Sweet truck!

And welcome to FTE....

Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Big73
Freshman User
thanks guys! i'm planning a run to the parts store to find some rubber fuel line for the jumper between the metal line and the pump...i'll update if i get her running well!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM
evam350
Senior User
It sounds like your secondaries are coming in too soon and or jetted too lean, try disconnecting the secondaries and see if you still have the stumbling

Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Big73
Freshman User
how do i do that on an Edelbrock 650 Thunder AVS Off Road carb? I'm new to carbs so i'm learning (and learning fast) and there's still a lot i don't know. know of any good writeup's explaining how all of this stuff works? I have a basic understanding but it's not great...

Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM
evam350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big73
how do i do that on an Edelbrock 650 Thunder AVS Off Road carb? I'm new to carbs so i'm learning (and learning fast) and there's still a lot i don't know. know of any good writeup's explaining how all of this stuff works? I have a basic understanding but it's not great...

I didn't realize you had a Thunder series, I'm not very familiar with them, I'm more familiar with the Performer series.

Here is the online manual for your carb though, which tells you how to tune it and gives you troubleshooting tips.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

Quick Reply: My New '73